What's For Dinner #60 - The Hot August Nights Edition - August 2020

Well, you get a triple AAA+ for cooking during adversity @shrinkrap!

7 Likes

DD1 came down for dinner last night, bringing our wonderful grand dogs with her. We hadn’t seen the boys in awhile & Ive missed them. So, very nice evening. We had wild caught Pacific Coho salmon, two ways: lemon, dill and caper sauce, and the other teriyaki style. COTC, zucchini & yellow squash with sweet onion. Beer for DD1, Chardonnay for me. All delicious. Leftover salmon went home with DD1.

Oh, moved away BFF sent me a belated b-day gift, pictured center of table. Love it!

18 Likes

I’m not worthy! Wow impressive. Stay safe.

2 Likes

Very impressed. You’re redefining the word limit.

Hope you’re doing fine with the generator.

2 Likes

It’s been awhile since I’ve visited here so tonight was dinner with The Murphy’s. We have pork chop Murphy over angel hair with home made potato chips (because when you have a 22 year old son carbs is the 6th food group), chicken murphy over angel hair (for the ladies) & a pork chop sans pasta for me. Delicious though a pain in the ass.

Everyone’s food looks great! Keep it up peeps!

19 Likes

Gah! The ribs are STEAMED!

I still see noodles :spaghetti: :laughing:.

Looking good despite the circumstances! Hang in there - my folks and other family are in the Bay within a few miles of various fires, and I have the feeling they’re not as well prepped as you (think those two cans of spam way back somewhere in the pantry)!

3 Likes

That was my son’s I didn’t take a pic of mine.

2 Likes

Looks amazing!

2 Likes

Kimchi Reubens tonight - chopped up my homemade kimchi, blended with mayo, gochugaru, a little sugar. Spread that on half the buttered, grilled TJs pumpernickel. Defrosted/warmed corned beef i’d made at my sister’s weeks ago, sliced thin, topped that with slices of swiss. Grilled in butter until swoony/melty. Tasted exactly like a Reuben except with a little kick. The corn: sauteed FM corn kernels in butter, sprinkled with gochugaru, sesame oil, a little Maggi, hot chili oil, and chopped cilantro. New favorite corn prep. slices of a fat FM heirloom tomato, with Maldon salt, balsamic, and a peppery Spanish olive oil.

19 Likes

Burgers and bourbon night (well, for me anyway-- BF had chardonnay while I had Bulleit).

Broke in my new grill pan. Got it at Costco and it worked great. Large enough to do eight burgers or so across half the stove. Just American cheese on mine. He had cheese and bacon. Side of baked onion rings and macaroni salad.

17 Likes

buena suerte! stay safe!

1 Like

did you make the amba or buy it? I’ve only had it once, love it!!

1 Like

I made it. It was very easy. I used Mike Solomonov’s recipe from Israeli Soul. I want to try Adeena Susman’s recipe from Sababa as it is very different (uses green mango versus ripe, calls for fish sauce). I have nothing to compare my amba to so have no idea how “authentic” it is but it really doesn’t matter to me. I like it and that’s what I care about.

8 Likes

Duck confit leg, frozen frites, broccolini, cherry tomatoes, and wine.

18 Likes

Mushroom bonanza tonight - I was so hungry I forgot to take a picture of my plate. :joy:

There were fresh trumpet / king oyster and shiitake mushrooms and dried porcini, all courtesy a pandemic online shopping spree.

I dry-sautéed the fresh mushrooms separately, and made a cream sauce with the dried and their soaking liquid, into which went tagliatelle. Finished with some white truffle salt and oil from a previous spree (that one was mine, for a birthday, and included fresh summer truffles).

Just delicious. I do love mushrooms.

18 Likes

Last few WFDs.

Prawns with lemongrass in coconut milk.

Avocat with crab, orzo tomato pepper salad with garlic micro greens

Spring rolls with prawns

Burgers one with cheddar and the other blue cheese

Homemade brioche, a bit too dense and too hard. Maybe the dough was a bit too dry, slightly overcooked?

Pizzas made by H

Ramen with chicken chashu

Tomato tart with feta and fresh goat cheese and grainy mustard

Topped with anchovies pickles

Red snapper with the spicy Sobrasada, cucumber salad with furikake

22 Likes

Yikes - I hope it’s back on by now!

Those are freaking GORGEOUS chips! I’m with the 22yo son on this one.

1 Like