What's For Dinner #60 - The Hot August Nights Edition - August 2020

nice job!

the one time i made Al Pastor tacos i marinated them too long in the pineapple and they practically disintegrated. need a do-over. that bromelain is some powerful stuff!

3 Likes

Cheeseburgers on homemade sourdough discard buns. I didn’t have bread flour, and didn’t bloom the yeast (i had regular, not instant), but they turned out ok, if a little uneven. But still more than completely edible, if not as fluffy as we wanted. Burgers were pre-made patties I bought because they were tri tip. They were ok but I just need to get to the butcher next time and ask for a blend. But i smushed 2 of them together for each of us since they were kinda thin and I knew there would be shrinkage (Jerry!). Tillamook Colby Jack. Mayo on mine, Mustard/mayo on the BF’s. His cole slaw for both. We’d already had fries earlier (these were his best batch yet.)

21 Likes

I never usually want a burger but I’ve been craving one - WITH FRIES!

The last few times burgers were made this summer, there was no potato accompaniment which I just don’t understand… I want fries indoors, or potato chips or salad outdoors…

Living vicariously through your pics!

7 Likes

My favorite new turkish restaurant in the neighborhood has a noodle dish with chopped lamb and yogurt - it sounded weird the first time I ordered it, but is SO delicious - your description reminds me that I should try a facsimile at home, and also makes me send positive vibes for them to make it through this restaurant crisis.

5 Likes

looks like he did a fine job, with your help! sorry about your shoulder!

2 Likes

112, 106!!! omg i would die. i was crying about 93 here on Friday.

we had terrific thunderstorms all night tho - a rarity in San Francisco - and it has cooled down considerably.

2 Likes

Come to mt Shasta. My hairdresser never missed my appointment from day one . In the beginning it was like the French Connection. Lol

3 Likes

I had a very late lunch, so dinner had been a bit weird.

I made pakodas (lentil fritters) to use up some batters from last week (ground moong from one day and gram flour from making bhajiyas last weekend) and some vegetables that were sitting around.

So, some of those.

And I’m baking a loaf of quinoa bread for toast, so I’ll have a slice of that when it’s done. Butter, and maybe some leftover roast chicken too.

17 Likes

You are a clever one @shrinkrap :smiley_cat:

1 Like

A green grocer nearby is awash in Michigan farmed produce and we’re doing our best to help them with inventory management. DW suggested loaded baked potatoes for dinner last night. So we baked up a couple of pounder + spuds.

16 Likes

Yum.

For some reason I have had loaded baked potato and corn on the cob on my brain. I might need to make that happen while corn is still in season.

5 Likes

Do it! Soon… :yum:

1 Like

Also very easy for your H to put together, due to your shoulder, which I’m sorry to hear about. Hope it heals well, and quickly @tomatotomato.

1 Like

Pup approved roasted veggie salad with homemade naan from the freezer. Just stuck a tray of asparagus, shishito peppers, carrots, and broccoli into the toaster over for 30 mins and let it cool. Added romaine, red cabbage, cucumber, Andrew smashed tortilla chips for crunch, and a soy, miso, dressing.

21 Likes

those eyes!!

6 Likes

OMG what a stunning puppy!!!

6 Likes

WFD was our favorite Thai takeout, located midway between Seattle and Tacoma.

We had fried chicken wings, pork larb, and crispy garlic chicken, all with sticky rice. Delicious as usual and enough left for lunch.

We’ve been going to Bai Tong for about 29 years now, noticed last night they’re celebrating their 30th anniversary. The resto was the very first Thai in the area, and came to be to feed the Thai flight crews at nearby SeaTac A/P.

Sorry, no pics - too hungry/tired.

6 Likes

The Paella looks lovely !

1 Like

ALBERT ADRIA: A degustation lunch on Saturday.

14 Likes

Thank you! It was very good but didn’t have the Socarrat like the authentic Spanish Paella. The rice was very moist. Your lunch looks amazing. Some of those dishes are real works of art.

1 Like