Bake your bread, make your desserts 2020

@Babette I’m sure you’ve played this before, and since I’m asking I assume it’s not a violation of rules - what is your business website? I assume you ship everywhere?

The website is in my profile and I ship around the US. Thanks for asking!

Aha! Thanks!

Qs - are the salted caramel truffles the caramel you also have listed but coated in ganache, or mixed into it? Sorry, I I know Inshould really inquire via your website…

I have some friends who love Fran’s in Seattle, and I’m going to direct them to you.

Mixed in, the truffles are more chocolate than caramel with a melting texture.

2 Likes

Duly warned @Saregama!

Baked quinoa flax bread - WF favorite copycat - this evening.

Changed the recipe a bit - used half einkorn, some millet, and the rest AP (instead of all AP), and forgot the flax seeds but did add sesame seeds.

My aunt had told me to add extra water, but it got a bit too wet by mistake (or because of the flour substitution). Also, I belatedly remembered to use tangzhong.

Tried an interesting microwave trick for speed-proofing, which worked quite fabulously.

Broke the waiting rule for a slice… will let it cool until I cut up the rest of the loaf and freeze.

5 Likes

Peach sauce.

6 Likes

That looks beautiful @Rooster, and I’m sure delicious. Peaches are my very favorite fruit probably, or close. Do you get them locally, or are they shipped up from Georgia or South Carolina? I don’t know what your growing zone is, but I’ve always heard that NJ is famous for tomatoes and corn.

These came from the market, sourced in state. But when I ate one for breakfast it was sort of lacking after a few days room temp so the Quick sauce was a natural to use up the five I had left. As sauce, they thicken cooked down and develop a deeper flavor.
Washed, diced, a bit of water, poached on stove, buzzed in blender.

Gotcha. Peaches grow in Western Wa, but I’ve rarely tasted a good one grown here. In the drier and hotter Eastern part of Wa, they’re absolutely delicious, so try to get those always. Have been gifted some or invited to pick the entire tree on this side of the state, but will usually make jam, peach chutney, even crisps out of them, and they’re ok for that @Rooster.

Nice! I enjoy peaches…all stone fruit…in all preparations…pie being my favorite. Whenever fruit is getting over ripe we try to salvage by making sauce. We will use this in yogurt, on vanilla ice cream and bellinis.

1 Like

Great idea!

https://kingsfoodmarkets.com/recipes/white-sandwich-bread

Guidepost hold.

NJ has outstanding peaches. Easily as good as GA or south central PA. Moods & Peplowski both have excellent peaches if you’re an NJ native. Peach jam is our #1 seller every year.

1 Like

“Somebody” has been craving cake.

So “somebody” baked it after dinner.

But “somebody” was distracted chatting on the phone, and likely over-baked it.

But, cake is cake. Though now I’m too tired to eat it.

ETA: I guess I’m never too tired to eat cake :joy:

8 Likes

A universal truism, @Saregama
:hugs:

1 Like

On my most recent grocery run I spied a box of King Arthur Blueberry Sour Cream scone mix. The ingredients looked good so I decided to give it a try.

My one word review: Don’t.

The mix goes wrong because of one ingredient at the end of the list, natural flavor. My hunch is that they’ve added flavoring to boost the dried blueberries in the mix? To my palate, the blueberries have an odd perfumey taste that ruins an otherwise fine baked good.

I brushed the top of these with buttermilk of my own accord, so the overly smooth top texture is on me.

I hoped for reliable convenience from this scone mix, but sadly the off-flavor doesn’t live up to the King Arthur brand.

This was a worthy experiment because at least it got me to try my hand at scones.

3 Likes

Used oat milk this batch and the popovers rose higher and are delicious.

12 Likes

Fun pics. And amazing, too!

Thanks Jimmy. I appreciate the encouragement. Popovers are easier to bake than just about anything else I have attempted to bake.