What's For Dinner #57: The Keep On Keepin' On Edition - May 2020

Well, after a week of sandwiches, slow-cooker meals, the BF cooking one night, and one takeout night during a very listless and blah period for me in the kitchen, I have returned to actual cooking. I think I got my mojo back.

I intentionally chose something with lots of steps, though quite easy when all is said and done. Chicken Sorrentino. Sautéed chicken after a dredging topped with roasted eggplant, prosciutto, mozzarella, and pecorino romano in a blush tomato sauce. Served over rigatoni. While I had a jar of Trader Joe’s organic tomato sauce staring me in the face, I went the homemade route with my own sauce which included a deglazing in sweet vermouth, butter, and cream (yeehaw).

Steps:

Result:

Earlier in the day, I also made Jacques Pepin’s no yeast, no knead soda bread since I decided too late in the day that I wanted a fresh loaf of bread. And, well, I also have no patience for baking. Easiest thing I’ve ever baked. Start to finish about an hour. Result was crusty and flavorful (though a bit dense).

18 Likes

Slept WAY in.
Read a lot during the day.
Did laundry.
Made dinner.

Seasoned liberally with salt and freshly ground pepper, some chicken thighs were pan-seared in hot olive oil and butter for about 5 minutes on each each side, removed from the pan, then added a large minced shallot to the pan and sauteed until soft. One cup of chicken stock added and reduced, and 1-1/2 tsp of dried tarragon and 1/3 cup of heavy cream added. Whisked all together, put the chicken thighs back in and finished cooking.

Rice pilaf and steamed green beans alongside. With wine.

14 Likes

Soda breads are a bit dense for sure. The crumb is more cake-like than bread-like, I find. Big advantages are that you don’t need yeast and how fast you can be eating fresh bread, which is worth about a million points on my scorecard right now.

I like Pepin recipes overall so you’ve piqued my curiosity.

4 Likes

He posted the video on his Facebook the other day. The dough was literally done in half the time it took the oven to heat. 30 minutes covered with a metal bowl and while he said another 30 uncovered, mine only needed another 15ish (my oven runs hot over time).

Nice to know I’m only an hour away from fresh bread when the BF is at work. He is the real baker…and the one with patience!

2 Likes

We had some nice takeout from Ammata Thai. Unfortunately they were out of most of our favorite dishes. We were still able to enjoy pork belly, Southern crab curry, Phad Phed beef, and spicy papaya salad. I had them make everything nice and spicy. It all went great with an excellent Cotes Du Rhone. The deck is starting to shape up. Mrs. P has been planting all weekend. The last picture is our little al fresco dining oasis :blush:

19 Likes

sorry about the health issues! hope you feel better even before the surgery, if possible… that grouper looks amazing.

2 Likes

i just saw that video tonight. yours actually looks better than his!

1 Like

I tried my hand at pad see ew tonight. Vegetarian version first, then a portion converted to the full-on chicken (and egg) version. I thought it tasted good, other than the type of noodle. Nice to try a new dish.

Kids had cheesetoast made using the newly-baked loaf of GF “artisan” bread. Bread seemed denser to me than previous iterations - I made a double recipe today given the grilled cheese goal, that might have been part of it. But they liked it fine - one said it was the best loaf yet, but I think that’s because it was tangier. What’s left is sliced up and in the freezer for toast.

19 Likes

Beyond meat burger with cheese, onion, mushroom, tomato on an English muffin, and some fries.

17 Likes

Simple Sunday solution to WFD…
Romaine lettuce salad and pan fried brats.

17 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear that. Miss your contributions and hope you are feeling much better soon.

3 Likes

Thanks. This morning appears to be good :crossed_fingers:t2:

1 Like

Lovely mussels dish. I’ve got the Forkish bread book a few months ago, started reading the introduction and didn’t make anything yet. Would like to see the breads you will make!

1 Like

Love that fish and the mask.

Your takeout meal was so appetising, usually they look dull, I have to say. Didn’t know you have a cat too.

1 Like

I’m going to make my first loaf today. Nothing too wild but will follow his method as closely as possible! Will drop my pics in the Baking post afterwards.

1 Like

Thank you.
Both The Sprout and Mr Bean are avid fishers. Only The Spout designs masks but everyone wears one. She’s made several for specific occasions and outfits.

4 Likes

Thank you! Yes, I have a cat and a dog.

1 Like

Quick veggie tart to us up some odd and ends from the frig. Puff pasty sheet, topped with a few slices of provolone, the last few dollops of some lemon buttermilk ricotta, mint, basil, sliced fennel, zucchini, and tomato. Milk wash for the pastry and some flaky sea salt. Topped with chives after cooking.

13 Likes

Thanks.