What's For Dinner #57: The Keep On Keepin' On Edition - May 2020

I roasted some HUGE beets from my last CSA box, but not sure what I’m going to do with them.

I always like them with goat cheese and candied nuts, so I might try that if I can muster some motivation.

12 Likes

Actrip on a Saturday to my local Hsnnaford resulted in both Near East Rice Pilaf box mixes and frozen peas, which I haven’t found for about 10 weeks. It’s the little things that can make me happy. :wink:

A Vemont maple-pepper dry rub (from Trade Wind Farms), olive oil, lime juice, lots of additional cracked black pepper, and minced garlic was shaken together and poured over a fat boneless pork chop to marinate for several hours in the fridge.

The chop was taken out about 30 minutes before cooking, and grilled on a grill pan for about 3 minutes on each side over medium heat, finishing in the oven.

A big-ass sweet potato was peeled and steamed until tender, then mashed with butter, heavy cream, sour cream, s/p, and freshly grated nutmeg.

Brussels sprouts were halved, tossed wih olive oil, s/p, garlic powder and dried orange peel and roasted in the convection toaster oven for about 15 minutes at 425°. I poured in about 1/4 cup dry white wine, covered with foil, and finished roasting.

It was YUM. Yeah. There was wine. Like Duh.

20200516_192433

21 Likes

OMG that looks amazing! may have to replicate soon…

2 Likes

this pork chop looks so luscious…

3 Likes

i love that combo.

1 Like

Mr Bean went out sea bass fishing for the first time this season. The Sprout made his fish mask in honor of the trip. They caught their limit. I made ceviche as the fish could not have been fresher.

IMG_7993

22 Likes

The Cod, set for yesterday, dropped tonight. Yukon Gold spuds as a side…

16 Likes

Bruta photo of Niman pork chop, apples in Calvados, pan deglaze, squashed potatoes

16 Likes

Tomorrow would have been my dad’s birthday (and a month from now is the 3rd anniversary of his passing). This is a tough time of year for me but I’ll try to just lift a glass and toast all the good memories, and there are lots of them. Sometimes, it feels like just yesterday while others it feels a lifetime away. So here’s his favorite drink (and mine): a gin martini, straight up, with an olive.

Dinner was a slow-cooker pork loin in a cranberry dijon gravy with mashed potatoes. No pics. While it tastes very good, it photographs like hell.

22 Likes

We had some outstanding takeout from one of our favorite restaurants, Bistro D’Azur in South Orange. This was actually the last restaurant we dined in before the lockdown 2 months ago. We enjoyed NY Strip steak au poivre with an herbaceous pink peppercorn demi glace, crispy Spanish chips, sautéed spinach, garlic confit, foraged mushrooms; excellent lobster crepe with huge chunks of lobster; mushroom and asparagus risotto; mahi mahi, and lemon meringue for dessert. It all went great with an awesome Chateauneuf Du Pape.

16 Likes

Linguine alla puttanesca.

18 Likes

Did this instead

Nothing to see here.

14 Likes

Damn . Can I say that . I love beets .

2 Likes

Lifting a glass to you and your dad. Cin-cin!

4 Likes

Sister and I had a sort of odd mix of foods for dinner tonight: A small kurubota pork shoulder she spit-roasted in her oven, just salt as the seasoning, conservas de navajas from Spain (canned razor clams), fresh burrata with black summer truffle pieces (amazing), a sweet baguette, and butter. Super rich, and very good.

13 Likes

@mariacarmen, here’s a link to the Ottolenghi recipe for charred cherry tomatoes that inspired my dish. https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/sep/23/tomato-recipes-salad-red-onion-chickpea-chinese-ginger-yoghurt-yotam-ottolenghi

I found the treatment to be agreeably riffable. As in: I didn’t have the spices and herbs called for and we were still happy. I subbed ground cumin instead of cumin seeds, Korean chili flakes instead of Urfa, and crumbled dried Greek oregano instead of thyme and fresh oregano. Also omitted lemon strips.

6 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

A classic! Love the bowl.

1 Like

I haven’t posted much recently. Have had some health issues beating me down. A hernia pressing on my intestines making eating no fun. But recently has been better. Surgery on the schedule just not soon enough in this pandemic

As it was a good day. dinner was grouper, sweet potato and corn

17 Likes

Looks good, and be well!

1 Like