What's For Dinner #57: The Keep On Keepin' On Edition - May 2020

Absolutely beautiful colors.

2 Likes

My usual seriouseats pork chop, but this time with my early green garlic.

It’s pretty pink, but it was dry brined, so…

14 Likes

Charred cherry tomatoes, inspired by an Ottolenghi recipe. Served over burrata cheese and scooped up with supermarket baguette.

Easy dinner for a Friday night.

15 Likes

Another lovely scallop dinner courtesy of local 130 seafood. Quinoa, grilled broccoli and a few lonely spears of asparagus from the garden. We ate outside too! Gorgeous weather.

11 Likes

Lasagna in a loaf pan? What a great idea - why didn’t I know about this? There’s just two of us, and I’m not big on leftovers, so this would be perfect. I Already have steak and salad planned for dinner tonight, but I’ll make it for tomorrow. Thanks!

6 Likes

I know, so nostalgic.

1 Like

Pretty!

1 Like

That looks good. What do you mean re: pink/dry brined?

Well sometimes when I brine something it stays pink even after it reaches a medium temperature. Not sure that’s what happened here. I did the Seriouseats recipe where you start in the oven at 250, take it out 5 degrees short of the finished temp, then pan search for color and flavor. I didn’t actually check the temp.

2 Likes

Sure! I’m usually cooking for 1, so I use a lot of smaller containers and half or quarter recipes done in a toaster oven.

I was being difficult when I used the loaf pan, to make a point that it was lasagna for 1 with leftovers :rofl:

But… that loaf pan is perfect for half a brownie recipe too.

I think my next lasagna is going to be roll-ups, though. Also easier to portion and freeze, and I’m not as gluttonous slicing it up :joy:

5 Likes

Chili and cornbread

and

16 Likes

Absolutely amazing garden and the cuisine is gorgeous …

3 Likes

Thank you so much :blush:
Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

1 Like

Ah, OK. I wasn’t aware! My FIL got us a Thermapen and I am in love. Especially since that study just came out saying that chicken isn’t necessarily done when it turns white.

4 Likes

That looks so fantastic. I’m glad you decided that your tastes count, too!

1 Like

Hear, hear!

3 Likes

Swordfish piccata, mashed, butternut squash, simple salad. Roasted the swordfish steaks, then sauced with the piccata which was really spot on. More flavorful than prior attempts. Swordfish was super fresh.

17 Likes

I took the night off and got sushi+ for me and the kidlet. He was NOT into the Philly roll despite loving smoked salmon, cream cheese, and white rice. Don’t know why I bothered. :woman_shrugging:

15 Likes

Very good thing to have!

1 Like

Seconded on both - I’m still using the (I think?) Original thermapen but gotten people the mk2 as gifts, and I hear it’s way better. I get the color/brining issue too so I’ve become a temperature convert

3 Likes