What's For Dinner #57: The Keep On Keepin' On Edition - May 2020

Aw shucks. I used to think I was a pretty ok cook till I started reading these boards. Now I feel like I’m in the 101 class!

5 Likes

You’re not alone, @Sasha. There are some BIG hitters on this site. :smile:

2 Likes

Long, full day at work. My first full day since March 17th. I expect more of them as we get closer to getting more employees back in the office.

Still working on clearing out the upstairs freezer of its many bits and bobs, so a couple of ziploc bags of 5-cheese tortellini fit the bill.

Two slices of thick cut applewood bacon, chopped, cooked and set aside. Thin asparagus sauteed in the resulting bacon grease, and set aside. Added a mix of half-and-half and heavy cream to the mix, then some Presidente garlic-herb pub cheese, grated Parm-Reg, and additional dried herbs (basil, oregano, and parsley). Whisked it all together until smooth and kept it warm.

Tortellini cooked, added to the sauce, along with the sauteed asparagus. Plated, sprinkled with additional grated cheese and some bacon bits.

Crusty buttered roll alongside. As well as a glass of wine. … OK, there was an earlier glass of wine while I cooked as well. :wink: So sue me.

17 Likes

Any time. When I told Mr Bean I was going to the Asian market tomorrow his first question was which one even though the Marlboro one is closest.

We are actually not that far from each other. I’m in Manasquan. For all I know we’ve run into each other at some point. I’m in that neighborhood fairly often.

We may very well have haha. I spend a lot of time running in your neck of the woods- plenty of route options, great views, and personal nostalgia. When I was a kid (born here in 84, moved to FL in '93, and moved back last September) I lived in Manasquan, right on Lakewood Rd. We were the 2nd house west of South Street, on the north side of the road. Good luck at the Asian food store!

Island Creek Oysters with mignonette!

There was free shipping for mother’s day, and you could pick when you wanted them shipped,

17 Likes

DH made carne asada tacos with grilled peppers and CSA spring onions. I helped.

My favorite was the mostly unadorned version:

21 Likes

Those are very pretty… my tacos look like a pileup, lol

2 Likes

I finally made chicken tikka masala / makhanwala / butter chicken - and paneer.

Paneer was oddly tastier than the chicken tonight - I think the masala from the kababs leached into the sauce and muddied it. Oh well. Luckily I saved some sauce for another day, before I split it for the two versions.

Also made bolognese sauce for Friday or Saturday lasagne (Marcella Hazan’s recipe) - no shortcuts or approximations, which is a miracle for me :joy: It is fabulous. I’m freezing half just so it’s out of spoon’s reach…

Also tried a couple of new tricks for gluten-free chapatis, which were my most successful yet. Well, the kids will eat any version, but these were the closest yet to normal chapatis in texture, so I’m pleased.

22 Likes

Cheesesteak with cherry peppers. The cheese was vaporized, but its there. I actually ate two, because these were Martin’s hoagie rolls, which are beautifully fluffy and tasty but about half the size of a normal “hoagie” roll. Side was potato chips. Worry free and easy meal.

21 Likes

Mmmmmmm cheesesteak.

4 Likes

I always take pics of my food, but never remember to post them here, even though I check the thread regularly!

Pasta salad for lunch with pesto, spinach, kalamata olives.

Hubby had picked up 7lbs of pork belly on his last Costco run, so I broke into 3 packs and froze it. This was pack #1, made into Chinese style roast pork. Came out so good (1st attempt!). Made some veggie stir fried noodles for the side.

Marinated tritip from Costco, grilled zucchini and grilled “baked” potato. The tritip was better than we expected. Would definitely buy it again.

24 Likes

Rava masala dosa with sambhar (veggie lentil stew) and coconut chutney. I’ve been on a dosa making kick lately but this was the first time I’ve made rava (semolina) dosa. Came out really good. Closeup of the potato masala that the dosas were filled with.

Sometimes, I don’t feel like cooking, so this was dinner last Saturday. Chicken tikka samosas on the side (from TJs).

My Mother’s Day dinner - homemade crab cakes with remoulade sauce, grilled asparagus and rice pilaf. Wine on the side.

Last night was oven baked pork katsu with a Japanese style slaw. Turned out great. I was skeptical about baking it but it was nice and crispy.

My 14yo cooked dinner tonight as we had a Zoom birthday to be on. She made fettuccine alfredo with broccoli. She also sauteed some chicken with herbs for the hubby and son.

25 Likes

Delicious! The grilled veggies and the colours.

1 Like

All those tasty meals! Love especially the roasted pork, rava dosa and potato masala.

2 Likes

I guess Indian was the popular favorite yesterday. I also went there though mine is no where near authentic but tasty none the less. Clockwise from the top: Bhel Puri with yogurt, Chicken Vindaloo the sauce from from a jar I found hidden in my pantry, Mrs Mattew’s Potatos/Ulli Kari from 660 Curries by Raghavan Iyer, and Lentils with Ginger which I made up.

16 Likes

That all looks great, and how cool that cooking runs in the family!

1 Like

Made a pizza last night. Sauce, mozzarella, salami, red pepper flakes, dried oregano. Added basil and arugula once out of the oven.

15 Likes

What are you going to make with the beetroots? :wink:

We love and eat them year round. I remember posting a bunch of photos of dishes I made.

so many good eats!

1 Like