What's For Dinner #57: The Keep On Keepin' On Edition - May 2020

Yesterday was sister’s bday, so I bought da feesh and she sliced it up for sashimi (she’s got the skills.) We had hamachi, sake, toro, and Dungeness crab (instead of kani) with Kewpie. Toppings were thinly sliced scallions, radish sprouts, avocado, and lemon, gobo, wasabe tobiko, ikura, ginger, wasabe, furikake, and togarashi. Bubbly to wash it all down. And to finish (much later), a little turf for all that surf: 6 oz Snake River, wagyu style rib eye we split.

sashimi%20lunch%203

sashimi%20lunch%204

27 Likes

Not fair!! I’ve been jonesing for Sushi.

The line for Nijiya Market on Post St. almost a block long the few times we’ve done a drive by. If I may ask? Where did you source your fish? All looks wonderful, nice combination on the Nori Wrap.

1 Like

my sister lives in the East Bay so we went to Tokyo Fish in Berkeley. There were about 8 people in line at 9:30 a.m. on Wed. We tried to go a couple weeks ago on a Sat. and there was a much longer line. We got in yesterday probably in 15 minutes.

2 Likes

That pork katsu!

and your daughter has nice plating skills!

1 Like

Hi and welcome back!

Meals look delish! Would love a recipe / reference for the pork and the dosa masala (potatoes)!

Also, that’s quite a meal by your 14yo!

1 Like

Superb sushi game! Yum.

1 Like

Happy birthday to her! Extremely jealous of her knife skills and your dinner! I love Tokyo fish market.

2 Likes

I made coconut chicken adobo tonight, a super-easy, phone-it-in meal the way I make it (b/s thighs, no broiling, more coconut milk, scallions, cornstarch slurry). Cauliflower rice with leftover annato rice on the side.

17 Likes

Dinner last night - pan sautéed wild caught halibut, with butter, caper and wine sauce. Piccata, really. Great sale on the fish, which was excellent.

15 Likes

I’ve only had adobo without coconut milk and did not enjoy it… this version sounds delicious - and easy, bonus! Gives me something different to try with the chicken pileup… thank you!

1 Like

Glad it sounds good to you! I suggest using a full can of coconut and only 3/4 c vinegar to start.

1 Like

this dish looks and sounds wonderful!

I like your style

1 Like

why, thank you!

Thanks @mariacarmen - easily adapted to your favorite piccata prep. Easy too.

1 Like

I’ve been craving scalloped potatoes for probably a year now. So, I finally made them (after getting there recipe from my favorite preparer of them) :joy:

Lamb chops - sous vide to defrost, then rubbed with rosemary, garlic, s&p, and olive oil, then reverse seared - 200F for 1.5h, then seared just before eating.

Roasted cauliflower for everyone, and mostly-vegan GF mac & cheese for the vegetarians

Hit the spot!

18 Likes

there was a map going around recently about the “weirdest” foods from each state. Not weird at all, but Wisconsin’s butter burgers caught my eye. Chopped onions sauteed in butter until soft, sweet, almost browned, 2 TBS butter on the inside top buns, burger, cheese. They were supposed to be more buttery/melty (last pic is what they’re “supposed” to look like) but these were still delish, even if not the standard. I think they were using a brioche bun in that last pic.

Also, the BF made fries using the cold oil method. He cut the fries thicker than usual, but still they cooked super fast using that method. They would have burned if he’d cut them thinner, and still he had to turn the heat down (it called for high heat). Still, they were pretty crispy and so much less prep than his usual double-fry method. Further experiments, for science, are forthcoming!

Sadly, I may have to start cutting back on my fat consumption, as we were just told that our office is tentatively planning to reopen on July 6th. Besides the fact that i don’t feel ready for that AT ALL, it gives me only seven weeks to lose the pandemic poundage! :open_mouth:

15 Likes

We made a Trader Joe’s run today for the first time in months. Picked up a few cheeses and a French flatbread thingy to have tonight. A minimal cook night which also consisted of these:

And before that: With an abundance of rosemary in our tiny garden, the mixologist in me wanted to experiment. I first made rosemary simple syrup with water, sugar, and three sprigs boiled for a few minutes. It would then be used in two cocktails which my BF and I shared: 1) a rosemary bourbon sour and 2) a smoked jalapeno and rosemary margarita (using dashes of smoked chili bitters as well). Both were interesting. I’m not an herb guy, so I probably wouldn’t make them again. But if you’re into herbs, these are great warm weather cocktails.

18 Likes

IF ONLY the dratted BF liked fish…

Interesting - I’ve only ever made adobo without coconut milk, but makes sense. My ratio has much less vinegar, but suppose the coconut milk helps mellow it out.

1 Like