What's for Dinner #53 - the Start of the New Decade Edition - January 2020

I guess a puffy jacket is practical, it rains all the time here. Other material for coat is nice but only on non raining days. But this is just me.

4 Likes

Hopefully you will do well. I’ve heard you can add leftover coffee as fertiliser.

1 Like

That’s something I have plenty of! I use a pound a week to make a batch of cold brew coffee. Thanks for the tip.

1 Like

Wow! You have been cooking!

2 Likes

Thx. But should have posted more often… :wink:

2 Likes

I’d been home from our trip 8 hrs and needed to scratch the cooking itch. Invited our (mostly) vegan friends for Indian food - all recipes lightly modified from The Essential Indian Instant Pot Cookbook.

-Black-eyed peas curry - adding spinach (p. 37)
-[Mock chicken and butternut cubes] Makhani (p. 82)
-Mixed vegetables in tomato and cashew sauce/Navratan korma (p. 92 - but made on stovetop)
-Cumin [brown] rice - on the stovetop (p. 52)

Also served warmed packaged naan. This was my first time cooking from this book, and I thought it was great, if a little heavy with the salt.

I laid out cucumbers dusted with chaat masala and roasted cashews as nibbles before. They brought beer and wine, plus Justin’s peanut butter chocolate cups for dessert. The kiddos ate…naan and rice. Don’t know why I bothered omitting the chilies in everything.

A good time.

14 Likes

Yes, I’ll agree to that.

1 Like

A quiet and another WARM day. The boyz enjoyed having windows opened both up and downstairs. Tonight it’ll drop 50° to more Januaryish temps.

Went with a light dinner…which gives me leftovers: an asparagus and pancetta quiche with shallots, red bell peppers, thyme, and goat cheese. T’was yum. Yes, there was a glass of wine.

19 Likes

The amount of time I need to spend in a coat like that is minimal so it doesn’t make sense for me. Plus I’m fat enough, so I don’t need any extra padding.

No doubt you will. And no contests here! I share my flops :grimacing::grin:

Be still my heart! Those look amazing. I always wanted a kit.

3 Likes

Literally, idiot proof haha. It was beyond easy.

2 Likes

Even after fish cakes had leftover roast snapper. So took a flyer and decided to tempura it. Compressed chunks into clumps and deep fried. Rather spectacular. Choice of caper or cocktail sauce.

Will never fear leftover fish again.

Leaf and iceberg salads.

10 Likes

Had a meatless day today, and with good reason.

Posted an article on my blog regarding Woody Breast Syndrome and White Striping in chicken breasts which was surprisingly well-received (we also have a thread here somewhere on HO from a few weeks ago that started my inspiration). Hits and social media reaction went through the roof. So, I figured I would celebrate with a veggie burger. Well, two actually. Topped with melted Swiss, sauteed onions and mushrooms, and served atop a glorious Martin’s seeded roll.

12 Likes

Nice, congrats!

Thanks! I hadn’t had a “big day” in a while. Work has left me unable to hit up new restaurants with any frequency lately, which is of course what most people visit the site for. Ended up being my most visited day in blog history.

2 Likes

Finally got a reprieve from and insane work schedule/start to the new year, so this weekend was catch up on cooking, family, and some sleep. Saturday morning I was wide awake at 4:30 so I made lentil veggie soup and a spinach pie with phyllo to take to the in-laws. Tonight I made us a spinach pie (shallot, spinach, lemons juice, sun dried tomatoes, parm, feta, fresh dill). Side salad and wine. Looking forward to a few weeks of normal work hours and cooking.

20 Likes

Spring forward. Its snowing out . Felt like some ribs and sides. Set up the pellet smoker in the garage. Plenty of ventilation with the doors open. Cheers .:wine_glass:

14 Likes

Vegan Salad - Tofu skins, Chinese celery, Portobello mushrooms, peppers, carrots, black fungus & spring onion with a simple dressing of salt, pinch of sugar and sesame oil.

13 Likes

I’m sure I’ll have plenty of flops but not so sure I’ll share!