Since it's Meatless Monday, let's share our favourite vegetarian dishes!

You’re welcome @ChristinaM.

Mushrooms and eggs, toast with cheese and mushrooms.

Tempeh “sharwarma”. I used a kebab mix.

Beetroot “tartare”, in the style of beef tartare.

Chilled beetroot soup. Great for summer.

Summer pasta

Left plate is room temp pasta with uncooked tomatoes.

Chilled tomato soup

2 Likes

Crispy-fried tofu. I like soft tofu but something firm is fine too, if you prefer.

Creamy pasta with cheese

Pasta mixed with beetroot

Tomato soup

Grilled cauli with tortillas

Yellow stuff is corn puree

4 Likes

Spanakopita
Käsespäetzle

Spanakorizo
Imam bayildi

1 Like

Cauli and cheese. Dough is store-bought.

Beetroot falafel

Looks like a curry but it’s not. What’s in it: cream, kabocha squash, parsnips, chilli paste, and a tin of jack beans.

Ate the first half with Spätzle and the second half with home-made kelp pici.

Kelp Rösti

2 Likes

Such interesting variety. You are so fortunate.

Thanks! Goes to show I don’t need meat in everything to be able to enjoy a meal.

1 Like

I made an all-veg(an) menu from a new Indian IP cookbook, and can recommend all the recipes! They were fairly easy to veganize, too.

1 Like

I made this for a family Xmas dinner with an Indian theme. With real hamburger it won grand prize at NYS Fair.
Vegetarian Kaddo Bourani

Three pounds peeled and cut butternut squash
1 C sugar
2 tbsp corn oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 tsp salt
1 T butter
3/4 C water
1/2 large tomato, seeded and finely chopped
½ lb. veggie crumbles
2 large garlic clove, minced
1/2 large onion, finely diced
1 C Greek plain yogurt
1/2 tsp dried mint
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
1/4 tsp ground turmeric
1 tbsp tomato paste
parsley & mint for garnish

1. Find a baking pan large enough to hold all the squash pieces in a single layer.
  2. Place in pan and drizzle with 2 T oil. Pour the sugar evenly over the squash.
  3. Cover the pan(s) with aluminum foil.
  4. Bake for 2 1/2 hours at 300, then baste the pieces with the pan juices, cover them up again, and bake for another 45 minutes.
  5. Mix yogurt, garlic clove, mint and salt together. Refrigerate, covered, until ready to serve.
  6. Brown the onions in 1 T butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan.
  7. Add veggie crumbles; warm
  8. Add all other ingredients except for the tomato paste and water and cook, stirring, for another 5 minutes or so.
  9. Stir in the tomato paste, then add the water and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and let simmer, covered, for about 15 minutes
  10. To serve spoon hot squash in serving dish, topped with cold yogurt sauce, topped with hot “meat” sauce.
  11. Garnish with parsley and fresh mint
    Recipe is from Afghanistan
    2010 Grand Prize winner
    Appearance: 40/40 – very good; attractively displayed with mint and parsley garnish
    Easy of prep: 20/20- time consuming, but not difficult
    Flavor: 40/40 - delicious
2 Likes

I’ve been crushing on this Ottolenghi curried lentil soup, which is odd for me because I usually run away from indian-ish recipes by non-indian authors.

But… this is delicious, and flexible.

I do increase the spices and aromatics. It’s lovely with the coconut milk as written, but still delicious (less heavy) without. I’ve taken to adding vegetables (zucchini most often) in with the lentils (I purée everything at the end) to make it a complete meal. And I always soak and PC the lentils (half the liquid so it’s easier to purée, add the rest with coconut milk after).

3 Likes

A variation of some sort Is on my short list.

3 Likes

I have saved this to make for my son and DIL (VEggie Boy and Gal) My caridologist would gasp at the fat content. Create a new casserole every Xmas to complement our roast beast (lamb). Will post for Meatless Mondays

1 Like

Greek Stuffed Zucchini Boats
4 small-medium zucchinis 3 T each dried mint & dill
3 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil 3 T chopped fresh parsley
½ large onion, diced 2 medium eggs, beaten
½ bunch scallions, sliced 1 t. salt
2 tsp. minced garlic ¼ tsp white pepper
¾ pound crumbled feta cheese Pam
¼ # shredded Muenster cheese 6 T Panko crumbs
½ cup raw basmati rice 6 T Parmesan cheese
paprika chopped parsley for garnish

1. Scoop out flesh of zucchinis with grapefruit knife, being careful to preserve an intact shell.
  2. Dice the zucchini pulp.
  3. Microwave rice in 2 cup of water on HI for 5 min. Drain.
  4. Heat 2 T olive oil in large heavy skillet & add zucchini, onion, scallions, and garlic. Cook over medium heat until soft.
  5. Remove and place in large bowl.
  6. Add cheeses, rice, herbs, eggs, 1 T olive oil, salt and pepper; toss well to combine
  7. Combine well; let rest for an hour.
  8. Spray baking dish with Pam. Organize “boats” in dish, leaving a little space between each.
  9. Spoon mixture into each shell
  10. Sprinkle each with bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and paprika respectively
  11. Cover with foil.
  12. Bake in 350 oven for 30 hour. Remove foil. Return to oven and bake 15 min. longer or until golden brown.
  13. Garnish with fresh parsley

NYS Fair Blue ribbon in vegetarian category 2009

2 Likes

That’s why I would try a variation. There are alternatives to keep the recipe lower in fat. The veg based sauce appealed to me.

On the night you don’t have time you can chop the zukes and toss ingredients. All the wonderful flavors

2 Likes

Me neither, but I do like a good tofu stir-fry, coupled with a clean-out-the-fridge-of-vegetables-and-so-forth effort. Sometimes it’s okay, sometimes it’s magical.

Vegetarian Enchilada Bake

List of Ingredients

2 bags of tortilla chips
Vegetable oil
2 lb. Veggie Hamburger
4 cups chopped onions
4 T finely chopped garlic
4 T chili powder
2 t. oregano
2 t. cumin
2 t. red pepper flakes
2 t. salt
1 cup water
8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
1 can sliced black olives
2 large cans crushed tomatoes
2 jar salsa sauce
4 cups cooked kidney beans

Recipe

Heat 1-2 T oil in skillet.
Cook “hamburger,” onions and garlic until soft.
Add seasonings and water and simmer until flavors combined.
Coat 2 lasagna pans with oil
Line lasagna pan with layer of salsa mix.
Cover with tortilla chips.
As with lasagna, repeat these layers: 1/3 kidney beans, “meat” sauce, tomatoes, black olives, cheese, chips. Repeat ending with final layer of tortilla chips. Top with remaining salsa sauce and cheddar cheese. Bake in 350 oven until heated through – 30-45 min.
Serves 16

I made this soup last week from Budget Bytes for the vegan daughter. Even my meat-loving husband ate two bowls.
Creamy Vegetable Wild Rice Soup: https://www.budgetbytes.com/creamy-vegetable-wild-rice-soup-vegan/
This week I made this borscht from Natasha’s Kitchen - excellent!
https://natashaskitchen.com/classic-russian-borscht-recipe/

I haven’t been that interested in the whole vegan thing, but I’m finding that there are certain categories of food like soups that are actually kind of fun to make. I do stay away from vegan substitutes for things like cheese and meat - just doesn’t appeal to me.

2 Likes

For years I would create a centerpiece veggie casserole for my son at the holidays instead of tofu turkey. Here is the first one that won blue ribbon at NYS fair for best quiche : Parmesan Artichoke Quiche
1 cup Parmesan cheese,
plus additional for garnish
1 (14 oz. can) artichoke hearts, drained
3/4 cups shredded Swiss cheese mixed
with ½ cup Parmesan cheese
2 oz. mayo
1 oz cream cheese
3 t. minced garlic
1/8 tsp. salt
1 cup plus 2 T. evaporated milk
3 eggs
9” Pie crust

1. Preheat oven to 450º. Line a 9-inch deep dish pie plate with pastry; prick bottom and sides several times with a fork.
  2. Bake for 7-8 minutes, until beginning to brown; set aside.
  3. Decrease oven temperature to 400º.
  4. Sprinkle 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese evenly over crust.
  5. Squeeze liquid from artichokes hearts, blot dry and chop well; distribute over Parmesan.
  6. Sprinkle Swiss cheese over artichokes.
  7. In small bowl, beat cream cheese and mayo with garlic and salt until light. Gradually beat in milk, then eggs, one at a time; continue beating until mixture is frothy.
  8. Pour over filling ingredients. Bake about 40 minutes or until light golden brown.
  9. Before serving, sprinkle each slice liberally with additional Parmesan cheese.
3 Likes

Sounds delicious.