What's for Dinner #53 - the Start of the New Decade Edition - January 2020

My mother used to caution that “you can always add, but you can’t take out!”

2 Likes

The recipe called for no curry powder, so I added a heap whether it belongs or not. Plus more salt. And some butter. It is slightly improved. I’m hoping another half hour (peas still to be added) will make it at least passable.

2 Likes

Would any of these from https://cafedelites.com/chicken-tikka-masala/ help?

"For the sauce:

• 2 tablespoons of vegetable/canola oil
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 small onions (or 1 large onion) finely diced
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic finely grated
  • 1 tablespoon ginger finely grated
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 14 oz (400g) tomato puree (tomato sauce/Passata)
  • 1 teaspoon Kashmiri chili (optional for colour and flavour)
  • 1 teaspoon ground red chili powder (adjust to your taste preference)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/4 cups of heavy or thickened cream (use evaporated milk for lower calories)
  • 1 teaspoon brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup water if needed
  • 4 tablespoons Fresh cilantro or coriander to garnish"

ETA: At least your drink will be excellent :grin:

2 Likes

Recipe is similar to that. Friend clipped from Food Network Magazine.

And yes, the drink IS excellent! Cheers!

Early dinner tonight, was starving courtesy jet lag, I assume…

Decided to cook something quick and indian… cauliflower with (purple) potatoes and dry masoor dal. The latter is a regional dish usually made with moong dal but it was out in the container and I didn’t feel like refilling it from deep in the pantry stock… lazy.

I especially love my little PC on days like this - 5 mins for the dal a and another 5 for the rice I decided I wanted after parathas from the freezer.

9 Likes

Needed to get sandwich makings tonight for lunch tomorrow, as I’ll be in a training demo for our upcoming switch to a cloud-based accounting software from noon to 2pm.

So a roast beef and Swiss panino on ciabatta with honey mustard was dinner tonight.

Cheeps alongside. No Coke, no Pepsi. Wine.

13 Likes

Recipes are just a guideline never to be used again .

1 Like

Catfish, cornbread, bean soup. The catfish I had frozen (raw) and this batch tasted much muddier than when it was fresh. We passed.

This bean soup lasts and lasts. May freeze the remainder before we’re really sick of it.

10 Likes

Pan seared steelhead, side of braised collards and baby leaf salad

5 Likes

When I make Indian food in a sauce pan, I never use recipe. I wanted a fix-it-and-forget-it meal for once. Totally not worth it.

In general, I’m finding recipes to be more and more unreliable, regardless of source.

3 Likes

Here it is. I’ll even post my mistakes. This Food Network Magazine (from a friend-- I do not subscribe since I’m not a fan of the FN) slow-cooker Chicken Tikka Masala was horribly bland and almost watery. I spent the last hour doctoring it up with additional spices and butter. The finished product was barely passable, despite it having the “look” and the chicken itself being cooked perfectly. Thankfully dessert was a beautiful Napoleon from Antoinette Boulengerie in Red Bank, NJ.

11 Likes

I just call it recipe sabotage. They rarely work if ever .

1 Like

Sorry for the flop - we’ve all been there. Most slow-cooker recipes seriously underwhelm me. There’s no depth of flavor. I vote InstantPot :rofl:

3 Likes

I don’t own an IP but agree on the slow cooker. But there is some truth to developing depth of flavor using traditional slow cooking methods of braising and stewing

1 Like

It may not have had the best flavor but it does look delicious.

2 Likes

I made that buttery [Israeli couscous] with chicken, leeks, and fennel.

Leftover haricots. Next time I would brine the chicken first. I cooked the couscous in the oven under the chicken. Then crisped up the chicken under the broiler.

10 Likes

What’s in the glass?

Oh @emglow101, that is exactly the way I like my split pea soup, texture wise. I’m sure it tasted beyond incredible too! Don’t like the thick, sludgy stuff. Haven’t made any in a while, but have put it on the list.

2 Likes

@ChristinaM - can’t find your post about all the cooking you did for the new mamas. That is such a nice thing to do and most surely appreciated. Out of curiosity, what goes into the lactation cookies?

1 Like

We had takeout from Bamboo Village, a local Chinese restaurant that is 5 minutes away from us. We never heard of it and it was listed (undeservedly) as a NJ Monthly top 30 new restaurant of 2019. Below is a link to details and pictures.

3 Likes