What's Cooking? (New Jersey)

Below is a link to pictures of tonight’s dinner.

3 Likes

Looks Delish!!! how is the back?

1 Like

Thanks Phreddy! The spicy chili crisp helped :slightly_smiling_face: We are trying to eat healthier during the week to make up for all of those high calorie holiday meals. I am saving my calories for the weekend when we dine out :slightly_smiling_face:
I’m making some nice progress. I am up to walking 2 1/2 miles a day during the work week and at least 3 miles on the weekend. Since I usually sit 10 hours a day for my job, which is not good for the back, I ordered a height adjustable standing desk converter to put my desktop on so I can stand more. You can raise and lower it. I just got it today. It has a separate lower stand for the keyboard and mouse as well as a cup holder. I also purchased a heavy duty anti fatigue floor mat to stand on and provide a nice cushion. I got a prescription of nabumetone for the osteoarthritis in my hip area and am going to physical therapy twice a week to strengthen my core muscles. Thanks to @Google_Gourmet for the nabumetone recommendation!
Thank you for asking!

3 Likes

Sounds a whole lot better than the pain you were experiencing…Great to hear good news!

1 Like

Mrs. P made her famous roasted quail breast salad. Details and pictures are in the link below.

1 Like

I noticed that Bamboo Village Chinese restaurant in Woodland Park was listed as an NJ Monthly top 30 new restaurant. I never heard of this restaurant even though it is 5 minutes away from us. We tried a variety of items for takeout tonight. It wasn’t bad but definitely not top 30 material to be included with Il Nido, Bistro D’Azur, or Bloom. I think we will stick with Chengdu 1 Palace that is 45 minutes away. This is good for a local takeout when you don’t feel like cooking. You just can’t order anything crispy because it turns limp and gets steamed in the plastic containers. We tried the three pepper chicken, ants climbing a tree, BBQ roasted pork (we wanted the crispy roasted pork but they didn’t have it), crispy salt and pepper shrimp, and cumin lamb. Our favorites were the 3 pepper chicken and ants climbing a tree. The BBQ roasted pork wasn’t bad either. The shrimp was a nice size but the breading got soggy. It all went great with Limerick red zinfandel.

6 Likes

It is nasty outside! With the wind whipping the rain around so hard it scared the cats, naturally, I made …
ribs?

I started these beef ribs at 5 am giving them enough time to develop a deep caramelization. Later I will make my famous puffy fried potato rounds. Gong Hay Fat Choy to all for a healthy and prosperous year of the Rat.

7 Likes

Right back atcha!

2 Likes

I made some sweet potato glass noodles with a peanut sauce and shrimp for lunch.
People coming over for dinner, couple of racks of baby back ribs, two chickens, was planning on smoking but weather may not be cooperative.
Also have some really good hot sausage a friend brought up from New Orleans that I will throw on the grill.

Pot of red beans on the stove for the week

3 Likes

Also documented in the WFD thread, we made dumplings from scratch today.

They were a success! The premade wrapper really made all the difference. Much stickier than the homemade ones from last month, which made it easier to fold and also less stressful! The other key was using chopsticks to mix and place the filling onto the wrapper-- better portion control and easier for it to drop.

Below is the whole process from market to table!

Happy Chinese New Year!

11 Likes

Very nice folding job on those dumplings!

3 Likes

Thank you! The first couple (especially last time) were a little rocky, but the more I did it, the faster/better I was. The stickiness of the wraps also helped.

2 Likes

I would legit order these at a restaurant if I saw them there- they look amazing…well done…

3 Likes

Mrs. P made a delicious kabocha squash soup with shrimp. Details and pictures are in the main WFD link below.

2 Likes

Last night’s Shrimp Ceviche, Pisco Sours and GF knickknacks

Tonight’s Wings with Pico, Guac and Papa Huancaina

11 Likes

Below is a link to our Valentine’s Day dinner in the main WFD thread.

2 Likes

My friend sent me this and it either looks delicious or I have mean case of the munchies!

Pecan smoked beef with some homemade slaw and guacamole.

9 Likes

Ever since eating those amazing kalbi at The Galley I’ve been thinking about making some. For family reasons I ended up making fajitas with the skirt steak:

and kalbi wings with a gojujang dipping sauce:

7 Likes

Our friend invited us over for a sensational International feast :yum:
Below is a link to the details and mouth watering pictures in the main WFD thread.

2 Likes

what a friend!!

1 Like