What's for Dinner #53 - the Start of the New Decade Edition - January 2020

This version included 1 cup each of fresh parsley and cilantro.

1 Like

MsBean, that looks awesome. How did the chicken skin hold up while the orzo was cooking?

Simple dinner tonight. A large BSCB oiled up, then sprinkled with my homemade version of an old McCormick salt-free garlic & herb seasoning blend. It included garlic powder, oregano, rosemary, basil, cayenne pepper, dried orange peel, dried minced onion, parsley, and paprika. I did add some s/p to the mix, extra dried parsley and dried orange peel, then into a 375° oven for about 25 minutes.

Halfway through, I sploosed in some white wine, spooning it over the chicken and continued cooking for another 20 minutes or so. I stirred in a smidge of Lyle’s Golden Syrup near the end. Sliced it and served onto some rice with dried minced onion and thyme, with leftover carrots, corn, and peas alongside, and it was dinner.

14 Likes

Always brings a smile to my face when what you’re cooking brings that reaction…from either yourself or your family and friends. :heart:

3 Likes

Linda, that chicken looks epically juicy. No brining? I want your chicken skills!

1 Like

not feeling well yet again, early to bed. but I made dinner first because I had a craving and had bought everything. Spicy, slippery, oily Asian noodles with a mish-mash of flavors that worked well: Rice noodles, gr. pork, red onion, garlic, ginger slivers, dark soy, a tiny splash of fish sauce, brown sugar, a shit-ton of chili crisp and its oil, shit ton of cilantro, mint, and scallions, plus three minced thai chilis. Sriracha at the table.

asian%20spicy%20noodles%20with%20pork

16 Likes

You cook so well . Even when sick . Myself I fold up like a lawn chair . I’m under the covers.

4 Likes

Tomato soup mom style and buttery cheesetoast. ‘Nuff said.

14 Likes

Our pork country ribs and yellow potatoes. Leaves the impression we’re meat & potato eaters exclusively…

14 Likes

Thank you.

The skin remained very crispy but I didn’t exactly follow the directions as I was worried it would get soggy. I browned the chicken skin side down in the cast iron pan as directed. As much as I hated to get a second pan dirty I finished off the chicken in the oven on a half sheet pan while I cooked the fennel and orzo. The timing worked out well and everything was ready at the same time. I placed the chicken on the orzo mixture for picture purposes only.

It was very easy and I could easily see changing up the veggies according to what you like and what’s available.

4 Likes

No brining, @bear. I lucked out with the timing on this one. A little bit of the reduced wine was spooned over top after plating, so that helped as well.

2 Likes

That’s a problem?

3 Likes

Whine, whine whine. Despite my best efforts, I still came down with a cold. Threw dinner together after dry brining a pork tenderloin all day. Roasted it with onion and mushroom, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, some random spices, roasted broccoli and brown rice from the freezer. Thank goodness I work from home plenty.

13 Likes

Get well soon!

3 Likes

Little dinner party last night.
Redux of pork rillettes, cornichons, baguette slices, homecured olives; sparkling wine
Cauliflower (and bacon) soup served with crispy fried panko crumbed oyster on top, dotted with curry oil
Thick cut red snapper, seared and oven finished + caper salsa, camargue rice, grilled radicchio with balsamic dribble
Papillon blue and La Tur cheeses, prune and walnut pate
Chocolate sherbet with crushed dried oranges and soft whipped cream
DH’s famous fresh mint tea
Navarro Gewertztraminer, planned to pair only with the soup, was requested throughout
Stressfree (with good friends) and almost work free since I recycled several parts from another recent dinner.

11 Likes

Love the Navarro wines . Been to the winery many times . Beautiful , dog friendly with free tastings.

2 Likes

Homemade waffles with homemade strawberry ice cream is on tap tonight. Enjoy your evening, all!

Rooster

5 Likes

Wow, that sounds like a home run. Beautiful menu.

Thanks. It worked well…with a minimum of work! My style. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Sipping a Maker’s Mark Manhattan while chicken tikka masala bubbles away in the slow cooker. I’ve already sampled it and have sensed an impending disaster. Looks like the real deal, chicken cooked perfectly, but BLAND BLAND BLAND! Currently doctoring to see if it can be salvaged.

20200123_181504

8 Likes