What's for Dinner #53 - the Start of the New Decade Edition - January 2020

Do you soak chops in milk first?

No, just pounded lightly, dusted with seasoned flour, dipped in egg and panko.

2 Likes

After a long 8 mile walk along the causeway and into Honeymoon Island state park, we got home just after sunset. Seafood was on my mind and the fact that it cooks quick was a plus

14 Likes

We had the fixins’ for French Dip sandwiches so I went with that…

9 Likes

I pressed a thin layer of this rice over the whole sheet of nori except the far edge (left about 3/4" uncovered). I did cook the rice with the sugar and salt but sprinkled the vinegar over after it was partly cooled. The rolls with less filling held together better - I think most important is to roll them tightly. Ingredients with a little give (like avocado) can also help act like glue. A very sharp knife is a must for slicing.

2 Likes

Thanks, as always. I have a bamboo mat for tight rolling but I prob over stuffed. And the rice thing is very useful for future attempts. Thanks to my brother, who loves to sharpen stuff, every blade is always in good shape.

The recipe reads like an adaptation of Kerala fish moilee (I lol’ed at her headnote of “South Indian channa” which is an oxymoron). Moilee is lightly spiced, a green chilli adds heat, but it’s just aromatics and tempering aside from that - perfect for light white fish. I could see chickpeas needing something more…

2 Likes

Nice roll action!

Tempted me though I’m off sushi for a bit - my welcome-home-from vaca takeout sushi (or accompanying soy sauce) a couple of days ago triggered my allergic (eyelid swelling) reaction. Sigh.

1 Like

Happy new year, Onions!

Missed the camaraderie and meal sharing these past weeks while I was away.

Back in my kitchen, but have to find my 2020 cooking mojo first!

10 Likes

Yesterday we hit the flea market and then late lunch at Boulevard Brewing. I had brisket nachos and DH had the brisket stew served with a biscuit. Food and beer were great. No dinner as we were still full.

15 Likes

Same to you! Happy to see you here.

2 Likes

Oh no! Gonna get tested?

Nah, I did a full allergy panel several years back when I started having a tummy reaction that I could link to wine… nothing showed up. But it’s a good point, maybe I’m due for another round.

I took antihistamines and digestive enzymes and it went away in a day… just very annoying.

Trying to avoid histamine-heavy foods for a few days.

4 Likes

I made country-style pork (loin) ribs in the style of Giada’s osso bucco with a hint of saffron, served over black pepper fettuccini. Wilted spinach with olive oil and shallot on the side.

My husband portioned.:roll_eyes:

16 Likes

They were very good ( I am eating some as I write this!), but I am making a note to myself to include maybe 1.5 to 2.0 times as much salt cod by weight.

1 Like

Observation is more useful than allergy tests. I went to an allergist years ago. He told me that he was allergic to chicken and eggs. The tests didn’t show anything. So he started keeping a detailed diary. He suffered from migraines some 24 to 36 hours after eating chicken or eggs. After he banned chicken and eggs from his diet, his migraines stopped.

2 Likes

Cooked my first meal back home today, after a weekend back of no cooking.

Somewhat surprised by what I decided to make - pupusas stuffed with broccoli and cheese.

Missed the curtido, hot sauce, and sour cream, all of which I omitted because I’m avoiding fermented foods after an allergic reaction a few days ago.

Pupusas were tasty, though.

15 Likes

Fresh cheese

Green Goddess dressed lettuce

Cheese tortellini

14 Likes

OUR MOMS, What would we do without them???

2 Likes

Closing Chez Phreddy North,NYC…and relocating all to Fla…Has been a real emotional scenario moving I do have a almost twice the size kitchen but with no memories of any family…well time to start over…come one come all family…
:unamused::unamused::unamused::unamused::unamused::unamused:

17 Likes