What's for Dinner #53 - the Start of the New Decade Edition - January 2020

MAJOR truth.

1 Like

I am way behind on this thread, but sharing anyway.

Wanting, needing to use up some of my stash of salt cod.
Sort of using recipe from African Bites, but also wanting a little cornmeal, and to use this

I’ve had it for years, and there appears to be no use by date, and no codfish!

Uh oh! Upside down.
Anyway, here it is, with more than the recommended amount of salt fish in the African Bites recipe, but still not enough.

Using my new scoopers!

@Lambchop, You were right about loving the scoops!

7 Likes

WHOA. That’s the ONLY W-S near me. I rarely go in there now, but they’re probably closing because there are many more like me.

1 Like

Shoveled what the plow driver didn’t get overnight. Which was more than it should have been. :confused:

Then I watched movies on Prime.

Dinner was easy-peasy. Mac and Ham and Cheese. I decided the parsley in the breadcrumb sprinkle was vegetable enough.

And there was wine. There is, after all, work tomorrow.

14 Likes

Oh, thanks. I don’t shop at W-S often, but it is an institution. Bummer.

2 Likes

Yes, canned red enchilada sauce tweaked with chicken broth.

1 Like

Early afternoon, asked husband how he wanted the chicken. Big slouch, shrug and sigh. “Chicken…!” So I tried something I thought hard to hate.
Seared breast slice, marinara sauce, Oaxacan and parmesan cheeses. Baked until chicken was cooked through and cheese melted. Beet greens along side.

He scarfed the greens, picked at the chicken, repurposing the Chardonnay lament, ABC. And you wonder why we eat so many pasta etc. meals.

15 Likes

Sorry your efforts were not better appreciated! :unamused:

3 Likes

A classic combo…

Wow, great looking sushi.

Tonight I made Kenji’'s chicken scarapiello with fresh sage, pickled cherry peppers (I used more than called for) red wine vinegar, and Calabrian sausages. You can’t tell from this pic, but the chicken skin was really crispy. a great dish, would definitely make again.

My “polenta” may have been actually grits. Yeah, it was grits. No matter, still really good. again, used Kenji’s method of letting it hydrate for a few hours in water to cut down on cooking time, finished with buttah, olive oil, and parm regg. Such creamy goodness.

And I found a local, regular source for broccoli rabe! blanched then sauteed in evoo with a shit-ton of garlic and RPF.

I’ve got pork chops marinating in yogurt, ginger, garlic, smoked paprika, granulated onion/garlic, olive oil, s&p, brown sugar, and cumin for tomorrow’s dinner. Also made a tiny batch of turmeric pickled cauliflower for tomorrow.

14 Likes

I LOVE that recipe!

1 Like

We usually ate when they are ripe, i.e. soft. Recently, a Vietnamese told us we should eat while they are still green.

+1 for dry vermouth cooking seafood or poultry dishes.

Love maki! Quite some work!

1 Like

LOL! Next time, he cooks!

1 Like

Sardine “bruschetta” for a Sunday quickie meal.

Stuffed shrimp with garlic, shrimp paste XO sauce.

Mushroom with fish sauce and served with coconut milk cooked rice. All 3 dishes inspired by Chicago’s Fat Rice Macao cooking.

French onion soup and lamb ragout. (posted in the French COTQ thread)

17 Likes

Were they good? How odd that the mix had no fish.

Thank you! We used a Silpat for rolling.

Multipurpose! Any tips on proper filling layout. My few tries at sushi, when it came time to slice the roll the filling collapsed.

1 Like