FRENCH - Cuisine of the Quarter, Winter 2020 (Jan-Mar)

Yes, I am aware. I’ve been to France half a dozen times and have a cousin who has lived in Paris for 20 years! I have a dozen relatives who live in Lorraine. I still don’t like Jambon de Paris. :grinning:

@naf, did you know the French Canadian cottage pie is called Pâté Chinois?

2 Likes

Lol! I read the origin of the name, amusing.

You don’t like cured ham as well? That’s another world…

1 Like

I like prosciutto crudo and Serrano ham, nd some speck.

2 Likes

Good old onion soup from the Parisian region, good for cold weather. Cooked the sliced onion 30 minutes in chicken broth.

Tossed the oven toasted cheese and bread on the soup.

Grilled the bread and cheese directly in the soup bowl in oven. Didn’t find much different between both methods.

8 Likes

Navarin d’agneau - lamb ragout with carrots, onions and turnips (Parisian region). I added beef stock and white wine to cooked the browned lamb with diced carrot and onion. Added more whole vegetables after 45 minutes and cooked for 30 minutes. Normally a spring dish. It was good!

9 Likes

While some denigrate the quality now available in Paris today, this is my lunch order at cafes/bars on a winter day. Some extraordinary but none that don’t leave you feeling happier, well cared for.

Saw on TV that a journalist had tried several bowls of onion soup on Montmartre, he found them overcharged and watery. Can’t verify as it is not something I would like to order when going out. :smiley: Mine had the last bit of the Bresse chicken broth so it was ok. :yum:

2 Likes

Much on Montmartre is of questionable value, both taste and pocketbook. We stumbled on a good bowl at L’Horizon on rue de Rennes/St. Placide. Surprising in this tourist central location. But actually, I’ve never had a bad bowl at a bar/cafe regardless of neighborhood.

1 Like

Pommes Dauphinoise
28%20PM

46%20PM
Good. Very good. But still not as unctuous as what I enjoyed in France.
Until I can get back for the real thing, it will have to do.

10 Likes

Onion soup

8 Likes

Rillettes look wonderful!

1 Like

This sounds so good, and I can get veal. What do you think of subbing brandy for Calvados? Not easy to source and we’ll never drink it…

1 Like

How about half brandy, half apple juice?

1 Like

Clever husband rummaged in the fridge and found remaining splat of rillettes. Fried it up and voila, carnitas → awfully good taco!

1 Like

:laughing:

Good idea. Might actually drink that. Like homemade pommeau.

DESSERTHEARTSRELAIS10690138_452112681602744_514360351439696333_n DESSERT: Relais & Chateaux Hotel - Lerida.
Rasberry and chocolate filled …

2 Likes

There are many Apple brandies on the market both with Alcohol and without alcohol.
A Google search in your región should be very helpful. Though many people use a very dry White wine as well …