What's for Dinner #53 - the Start of the New Decade Edition - January 2020

Chicken Marsala but with alterations since I made it a few weeks ago: sweet vermouth instead of Marsala wine (I don’t know about you, but both sweet and dry vermouth are becoming two favorites to cook with), chicken broth, and a splash of heavy cream. Served over ginormous rigatoni with a side of sauteed spinach.

There were martinis.

14 Likes

Errands today. It was cold out there!

Then I made the mistake of going to Market Basket instead of Hannaford for the few items I needed. :flushed::flushed::flushed:

But somehow I got a parking space right in front, so I ventured in. OH. EM. GEE. It was like the Zombie Apocalypse in there, even though we’re only supposed to get no more than 5-6" of snow. Sheesh. But they were on the loudspeakers directing cart traffic like air traffic controllers. Two lines…one for full carts using about 12 registers, and one for Express (12 or fewer) using 3 registers. And it worked…I was out of there in 20 minutes.

Dinner was Pork, Apple Cider, and Sweet Potato Stew over Pappardelle, with roasted Brussels sprouts alongside. Wine.

Watching “Troop Zero” on Amazon Prime with Viola Davis, Alison Janney, and Jim Gaffigan. It’s looking good so far!

17 Likes

Unadorned (by husband’s request) fuyu. He attacked the plate.

Green chili enchiladas

17 Likes

LOL. Market Basket managers know what they’re doing when it comes to getting us shoppers through the checkouts. I needed quick grocery runs before the major winter holidays—Thanksgiving and Christmas—and the staff at my local Market Baskets were on high alert getting folks through the store quickly. Though MBs aren’t my very favorite grocery stores, the ones near me seem to mobilize very well when the zombie hordes descend.

5 Likes

Watched the movie, Honey Boy over a potluck of guac and chips, deviled eggs, spiral ham, roasted cauliflower, tossed salad and sangria.

5 Likes

I keep dry vermouth on hand to use in recipes that call for white wine which I don’t usually have in the house since I’m not particularly fond of white wine. I hate opening a bottle of something I won’t drink.

7 Likes

That’s how I stumbled upon its use. We’re not wine drinkers but there is always sweet and dry vermouth in the house for martinis and Manhattans.

I was making chicken giambotta a few months ago and realized I needed white wine after I started cooking. I used dry vermouth and it came out perfectly.

1 Like

Sauteed squash. Beaded and fried pork cutlet with tonkatsu sauce . Cheers.

13 Likes

Had one of those rare Saturdays when, by choice, I never left the house! Made blueberry muffins for breakfast then relaxed all day doing fun stuff. Dinner was a quick pizza with fresh buffalo mozzarella. Wine for the side.

14 Likes

FINALLY I COOKED. My sister and I went to Saul’s Deli for brunch in Berkeley and had eggs and sable (swoony), but I also had a latke. So I was still pretty full at dinner, but I COOKED. Successfully recreated the Cochon Butcher buckboard bacon melt, with their bacon bought on our trip, collards sauteed with garlic and a little of the bacon for smokiness, Vermont white cheddar, and pepperoncini on buttered sourdough. grilled on the grill pan and flattened with my CI pan. Turned out really great. But I could only eat half; BF gets the other half of my sandwich later tonight after cocktails.

Also made potato salad to go with, and cherry pepper stuffed with “Italian cheese” (that’s what the jar says. tasted ricotta-ish) as garnish.

16 Likes

Great tip on the dry vermouth! Any brand recommendation? Do you use it in the same amount as wine?

@gcaggiano It’s really handy to have - cooking, martinis, what more can you ask.

@gracieggg No special brand. I usually buy vermouth by price, trying to stay somewhere around $7-$8. I do use the same amount as wine but I’m not a great measurer.

3 Likes

Years ago Julia Child recommended using dry vermouth if no white wine was available. The one I like is Dolin.

4 Likes

…And provided us with gorgeous photos to admire!

2 Likes

Ending on, Buttermilk waffles with bottled fig maple syrup, sausage patties and fresh fruit (strawberries and blood oranges). Playing cards over football.

Rooster

3 Likes

Dinner tonight shall be a humble turkey reuben with some chips. Maybe a salad too.

And as much as I would like to indulge in spirits after a long day at work, I shall be good and abstain.

3 Likes

Oh, digga, which W-S is closing in our area in MA?

Oh, that sauce on the chiles rellenos looks really good., pilgrim. Is it enchilada sauce?

Burlington Mall. Might already be closed?

1 Like

We made maki with spicy krab/smoked salmon, cucumber, avocado/cream cheese, and jalapeño. Miso soup with tofu on the side. First attempt in 15+ years. The kiddo had ice cream for afters.

14 Likes