What's for Dinner #51 - the It's Dark Outside! Edition - November 2019

Dinner last night was delicious but not photo worthy. Sautéed onion and garlic, added beer and sauerkraut. Cooked down for a bit & then put the bratwursts in to plump them before finishing/searing in the grill pan. We ate them with some stale kettle chips. Really hit the spot again, even the few sad potato chips.

Speaking of foods with weird textures, we were visiting Fairbanks, Alaska for my niece’s college graduation. One of her majors was Alaskan native arts. The department had a potluck to celebrate, but the food was all native -very interesting to me but unappealing. My H and mom tried the whale blubber they call Muk Tuk. They kept chewing and chewing and their eyes kept getting bigger until they were able to swallow. I summoned the courage to try herring roe and a wild blueberry and halibut dish. I would have needed about 4 margaritas to try the whale :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The experience definitely made me appreciate what a brutal existence the indigenous people have in an extreme climate, and the lack of food that would appeal to most of us.

6 Likes

Hi @LindaWhit -

I usually use whole carcass too, but when I run across chicken feet (even Whole Foods in our ‘hood now sells them) I buy them. Because of the cartilage it turns into a thicker, gelatinous, schmaltzier stock. Sometimes it’s so oily I’ve used it in place of cooking oil.

Note: simmer them for a long time.

6 Likes

Thanks @PHREDDY! Luckily I didn’t have spinal fusion. That must have been excruciating. I’m glad that it helped.
This was my first surgery and I had no idea what to expect. It’s frustrating not being able to do the simple things like bending, getting up from a chair, or out of bed. I just wish the bleeding would stop, but it’s mainly my fault, from bending or twisting by habit causing the wound to open. I’m trying to do some moderate walking from the front of the house to the back.

2 Likes

@paryzer, I had the same issues, the biggest one was going to the pot…I first had to get up, then sitting down was a real PIA…literally! Anyway you must be feeling a little better because you have been on the HO boards…Enjoy the weekend, regards to
Mrs. P.

2 Likes

I guess the vegans went hungry?

I see you’re not following advice. :frowning_face:

Not being able to get out of bed would be a heavenly glass half full to me - Books, TV, Food Talking! Snuggly Cats…

2 Likes

@LindaWhit - I’ve made it with chicken feet before - definitely a difference, much more gelatinous, so a richer stock. I was more referring to these farmers’ market feet - presumably organic chickens, local, etc. - as opposed to the feet I get from the Asian mart, which are much cheaper.

i feel like the taste this time was a bit “cleaner” but just as rich. the chicken feet from my local Asian supermarket yield a stock that is rich and delicious but has a slight funk. not bad in any way, just different.

i also have been making stock with whole thighs, skin/bone/all meat, and pulling them out, cooling slightly, and picking the meat off after about half an hour, then putting the bones back in. I use the boiled chicken in other preps, and the stock is super rich!

4 Likes

yep, these simmered in the IP for a good 4.5 hours.
and yes, agree - much more gelatinous, rich stock from the feet. better for us because i rarely cook a whole chicken for us anymore.

2 Likes

This is what I do, but with legs. TJ’s organic, free-range legs are a bargain, and make a great PC stock. I get the meat out a short while in so it doesn’t get stringy, and return the bones and skin to the PC and keep going. Wings would be a great addition for more gelatin, but they are overpriced because of demand.

2 Likes

Sincere kudos to @klyeoh for inspiring me to dive into SE Asian cooking. Thank you, Peter.

Our Wok did a Stir Fry tonight. Sauced with Sesame Oil, Dark Soy Sauce and Oyster Sauce. Just Terrific.

19 Likes

Mrs. P made delicious sugar pumpkin, delicata squash, spicy Andouille sausage, and crispy fried sage over pappardelle. It was inspired from a recipe in the NY Daily News. Mrs. P added the delicata squash, white wine, extra garlic and onions, and some sun dried tomato paste instead of canned tomatoes (since she is not a fan of tomato sauce). It was sweet, savory, and spicy :yum:

20 Likes

My kiddo is sick so dinner for me was a quickie on the fly: black bean burger on sourdough with avo, mayo, ketchup, and Sriracha. Likely a fitful night of sleep ahead.

15 Likes

A day.
A week.
A month.
And we’re only 8 days in. Yaaaasss. Just great.

I went simple for dinner tonite…a b/s chickie boobie marinated in a combo of orange juice, honey, rice wine vinegar and sriracha with a couple of sprigs of rosemary. The chicken was pan-seared and finished in the oven with the reduced marinade.

Sides were Israeli Couscous and sauteed spinach with toasted almonds, as I didn’t have any pine nuts.

Oh, you can be assured there was wine.

18 Likes

All good thoughts to puny kiddo. Bounce back soon!

3 Likes

More backyard fuyu, this time with sweet lime and purslane. Tangerine/evoo/cumin dressing.

Shanghai noodles

15 Likes

That looks great. Wish I didn’t have a random allergy to persimmon!

Oh @PHREDDY too funny but something that didn’t even cross my mind! With all due respect, (and I mean this sincerely) to vegans, they would certainly starve to death if they had to survive on native Arctic foods. I might die too, couldn’t do it! :rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

That looks absolutely delicious @paryzer! I’ll be saving that recipe along with Mrs. P’s modifications.

Since we’ve already touched on some delicate issues regarding your recovery, I will say that a comfort height toilet and bidet would really improve your life right now. Assuming of course that you don’t already have either. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Another round of local fish
Wahoo with brussels and potatoes

14 Likes

I gotta get me some persimmons! I haven’t had a single one yet this season… travesty.