What's for Dinner #51 - the It's Dark Outside! Edition - November 2019

Gorgeous sear

3 Likes

Quick recovery! And hope that they solved your pain.

1 Like

I cut one of the sweet limes - still tart, but nice flavor. Zested it first and mixed with sugar for the beginnings of a possible shrub.

Snacky dinner - some leftovers from my long flight a week back, that I had frozen - cheese sandwiches that turned into perfect grilled cheese, and pan-fried “dumplings” called Muthiya - literally, “fists” - bec they’re shaped by closing the hand into a fist. Still hungry, so soft scrambled eggs inspired by that thread.

16 Likes

Did you make those noodles too? Jealous!

No way. I live 10 minutes walk from Clement Street and fresh Chinese, Japanese, Viet (rice) noodles.
Plus wrappers of all kinds. And veggies…

6 Likes

Thanks. A combo of evoo, veg oil and butter to lube the cast iron pan

2 Likes

It looked real good. To make it more “South-east Asian” next time, you could sprinkle some chopped red chiles for added colour and heat! :grin::+1:

3 Likes

Frittata (potato and onion with some chedder ) on Thursday

Lamb chops Friday

I still need to eat mushrooms and chicken wings before husband gets back tomorrow! :hushed:

17 Likes

Love the crust you got on the chops.

1 Like

my jaw just dropped at those chops! drool!

2 Likes

that fish looks so good… shakes fist in general direction of BF, yet again…

5 Likes

that’s a cheese sandwich you had leftover from a plane ride that you froze and then turned it into that scrumptiousness??? impressive!

3 Likes

dinner was out, 2nd night at a new South Indian place for review. Wow, it was really, really good. We had lamb keema, spinach and cheese samosas (my first non-potato samosas!), pistacho korma with veggies, and lamb biryani. All incredibly well executed, so tasty. Non-loving lamb BF liked both lamb dishes - in fact, the biryani was his favorite! Great rice, and wonderful chutneys. Glad, because it’s a family-run place and I want them to do well.

And now i really want to tackle making a biryani at home, but it seems daunting. It was different here than most I’ve had - the rice was quite separate from the meat, without as much saffron (which I do love), and not quite as oily as many I’ve had.

13 Likes

gorgeous. those persimmons are beautiful. the pickings in the markets have been not nearly so lovely. lucky you are to have a tree.

1 Like

What? You’re possibly the luckiest home cook ever.

1 Like

Looks yummy. Sending healthy thoughts from NJ!! We had a mysterious one run through here last week.

1 Like

In our ongoing quest to limit eating out, I made dinner on a Friday night! My mom gave me a copy of Christopher Kimball’s magazine “milk street”. I think this is an offshoot of a podcast?

I made a broccoli pasta from it that needed a little tweaking for our tastes but really nice. I will top it in toasted breadcrumbs and half the garlic next time. Beautiful color!

13 Likes

Wet breading…tell me more!!!

1 Like

Ordered and thank you @ RedJim…and amazon.

2 Likes

Perfect steak, perfect dinner.

1 Like