What's for Dinner #51 - the It's Dark Outside! Edition - November 2019

Tonight we were in the mood for spicy: Fresh poblano peppers stuffed with a ground turkey picadillo with cauli rice. Hit the spot!

20 Likes

Speedy recovery! That’s rough :cry:

1 Like

Leftovers. Smothered Pork Loin on Bommarito Bakery bread.

Comfort food, f’sure…!

15 Likes

@paryzer

Speedy recovery to you, Eli!

1 Like

@paryzer hope your feeling and getting better Eli

1 Like

@paryzer

https://tenor.com/view/elaine-benes-get-well-soon-get-well-song-seinfeld-gif-11198177

Maybe that’s just for Seinfeld fans.

2 Likes

This! Don’t fret about being incapacitated for a bit. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Those are big looking suckers. I love the gelatinous stock that comes from chicken feet. I have some in the freezer right now.

3 Likes

Couldn’t listen. It requires downloading & programming app.

1 Like

Eli,
The pain you were enduring for 6 months I suffered with for two years. Anyone who has had back /spinal surgery knows the pain is awful. I had my 4 discs fused about 10 years ago, and now have two titanium rods in my back with 8 screws, in a procedure that lasted 6 1/2 hours, and a four day hospital stay, because of the general anesthesia.
I know when you said the pain in leg is gone, but have surgical trams and pain. This will heal and hopefully you have the same great results I had. The only side effect for me, was that I had to give up golf but it was a good tradeoff.
Wishing you a speedy recovery. Feel better!

10 Likes

I was along for this PR food ride until this line:

Human-like you say??? :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Yup! He refused to eat it or even look at it! Me, in my quest to at least try as much nose to tail as possible, tried one. But it was difficult and I had to throw the rest out (she sent three ears).

2 Likes

Lomo Saltado from last night:

Pasteles after their unwrapping:

15 Likes

I think some rest is in order for you, young man! :::shaking my Cat Mom finger at @paryzer:::

Hopefully you start feeling a bit better are up and about soon! And Mrs P made a great looking meal!

5 Likes

@paryzer Just catching up on reading. Steady wins the race buddy. Heal stronger! Watch the wine while on meds :wink:

5 Likes

:heart_eyes: pasteles. Look delicious!

P.S. If it makes you feel any better, my grandmother occasionally used to make something called pig’s feet jelly for my grandfather. Looked like gray gelatin and the paprika sprinkled atop for color didn’t do much to help the appearance. More power to those who do enjoy, but I admit that I can’t always deal.

1 Like

Please let us know (if you haven’t already) as to how the stock turned out and if you notice a difference. I usually just use whole and breast/thigh bone carcasses with some bits of meat and fat remaining. Have never bought chicken feet, but the H-Mart near me would probably carry them.

2 Likes

I usually don’t shy away from anything. As someone who enjoyed the Filipino dish dinuguan (offal cooked in blood), I figured pig’s ears would be no problem. But I was wrong. Flavor was fine, but that texture was just morbid. And usually, texture doesn’t bother me. Very strange experience.

1 Like

He, I have been using the feet ever since my grandmother taught me how to make “Jewish Penicillin” in the Bronx in the early 60’s. She always bought a fresh killed chicken, and the feet went in the soup. IMO, really does make a much richer, deeper flavored stock.
And if you like to eat the skin of the bird, it is just a little more to nibble on.

4 Likes

Hope you start feeling better soon!

1 Like