What's for Dinner #49 - the Falling Leaves Edition - Sept 2019

Beautiful pics @TheCookie! I could dive right in to one of those ribeyes with mushrooms & of course the mashers too. Can’t do fresh or roasted tomatoes in big chunks - texture thing for me. BTW, that possum looks fairly young to me. They are quite the opportunists.

1 Like

We had Kahlua pork sliders on Hawaiian rolls (from the freezer) along with some slaw - no pic but nothing much to see. Will post pics of some recent meals along with a to die for tart soon. Behind on things.

2 Likes

My stomach just growled at that picture! :heart:

2 Likes

Here’s the new October thread:

3 Likes

Last big meal of September = small dinner pary.
Highlights: Boudin noir with caramelized pears starter. Wowzer! Blurry pic has nothing to do with wine before and during…

Main = big fish soup
Bread

and cheese

And since there’s no such think as too much cheese. Corsican cheese cake (no flour)

A lot of wine along the way. Good people, good cheer.

14 Likes

Son’s Lobster dinner in Mexico , only $45.00
Huge IMG_5837

8 Likes

I know! I couldn’t believe my eyes the first time. It was the food and water I put up there for my wandering cat, supposedly away from critters. :smirk_cat: Possum looked at me like “I’m not moving. You move.” I removed the food but kept the water on the patio with big rocks in the bowl to keep them from tipping it over. They’re messy!

Oh yes, I bookmarked that Nigel Slater Tomato link.

2 Likes

Thanks @Lambchop! I’m the same way about tomatoes. They have to be perfect and I can only take so much. That was hubby’s plate. :wink: You know your possums. Yes, it’s very young. There are two and were little babies when I first noticed them.

1 Like

that’ picture was only for one lobster, but here is the whole tray https://cdn.hungryonion.org/original/3X/7/2/7260e11eed12ba1ec9c2077b335f42ed19028ee6.mov

2 Likes

Love the blurry pic @pilgrim - looks like the cocktail hour was sufficient :blush: question for you concerning the no knead bread; does your bottom crust get tough? We have made it several times now, but the bottom crust gets so tough we can barely cut through it at times. Pretty amazing bread though for what it is.

1 Like

It can, yes. To keep the bottom crust from becoming too tough, even blackened, at the mid-point where one removes the lid/cover, I take the bread out of the pot and put it directly on the oven rack. Just lift it up with a broad wooden spatula and shift it out and onto the rack.

re the blurry pic, my iphone had too much champagne. It tends to do that.

4 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Lol @pilgrim, think maybe our phones are related :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: thanks for the advice on the bread, will give it a try.

1 Like

How lovely

So cute @mariacarmen !

But what does this mean?

And how did you come to be cleaning up after 80+ of them? Yes, I’m nosy.

3 Likes

haha I volunteer for an organization that rents goats out to private and public properties for “goatscaping” - our goats get hired out to clear weeds, invasive growth, etc.

as a sideline, we’ve also had Goat Yoga sessions for the past two seasons, when we have babies.

i’m going on year 5, every Sunday, but I’m going to be cutting back to twice a month. But I can’t completely quit them yet!

8 Likes

Awesome!

1 Like

Ooh, your mashed taters look good. Might have to make some soon.

2 Likes

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: What’s for Dinner #50 - The Spooky-licious Edition - Oct 2019

Stew!