What's for Dinner #50 - The Spooky-licious Edition - Oct 2019

Looks delicious and welcome! Is that a tomato chutney for dipping?

1 Like

yes a homemade tangy salsa/chutney. I’ve put up the recipe on my instagram,not sure if you can access the link here (clearly new to this). But its under eat_travel_write. You can find a full list for both the fritters and the sauce there.

Thanks @Preksha_Shah.

that sounds excellent!

1 Like

Leftover spaghetti & Italian Sausage turns into an oven bake.

15 Likes

I made Melissa Clark’s Vietnamese caramel salmon tonight, and damn, it was good. A definite repeat. With cauli-jasmine rice and asparagus with sesame oil, butter, and furikake and smacked cucumber salad.

14 Likes

Okay, that was weird. I quoted part of your post and it repeated the whole post. :thinking: Anyway, I’d love some details about the Vietnamese Caramel Salmon & Smacked Cucumbers when you get a chance. Thanks!

Welcome welcome!

1 Like

Here’s the fish - she has a very similar stovetop recipe (but I prefer the IP - less…aromatic…ahem).

For the cucumbers, I trim three Persian cukes, whack gently with the side of a cleaver on a cutting board to break open somewhat, then slice into chunks on the diagonal and toss with a little salt. In a medium bowl combine approx. 3-4 Tbsp. Chinese black AKA Chinkiang vinegar, 1-2 Tbsp. soy sauce, 2-3 tsp. sugar, 1 clove minced garlic, and chili crisp to taste (I used homemade). You’re aiming for a good balance of sweet, salty, and savory flavors (remember the cukes are already lightly salted). Toss the cucumbers in the dressing and refrigerate until serving. Easy peasy.

I am the queen of :cucumber: salads :joy:!

6 Likes

Bookmarking! Thanks! King Salmon season!

1 Like

Dinner tonight is Triple Delight, ( my version) stir fry chicken breast, red Patagonia shrimp, 2 calamari tubes cut into flowers ( does not show in pictures but they are there.) marinaded in shaoxing wine, soy sauce, sesame oil, black beans sauce , stir fried with onions, ginger garlic, then set aside

, throw a splash of shrimp shell broth to deglaze wok, then some Evoo, vegetables ( broccoli stems, bell pepper and snow peas) thrown in, and then meat added back in with another splash of sesame oil. Son wanted more spice, so I chopped up a chipotle and a tablespoon of adobo sauce. Quick 10 min dinner served with rice.

15 Likes

Sounds delicious

1 Like

YUM!

You know I LOVE my PC, but… I have never cooked fish in it for fear of overcooking (also - cooks so fast anyway).

Curious what the advantage of the IP is here - containing fishy smells? (But then i’d be worried about the fishy smell in the gasket…)

2 Likes

That’s looks so tasty!

I’m trying to picture this to try it out - can you please explain how?

1 Like

I was wondering what that meant too.

When I buy calamari at Asian store, they can come as tubes or as flowers.
If the tubes are available , they are cheaper. I make them into flowers, drop. the into boiling flower for a second or two util they curl up. Then, when I stir fry them, I throw them into the wok at the last minute as they had already had a brief cooking time. Always have ginger, garlic and onion and if possible bring onions when calamari are being cooked and so briefly.
Here is a picture of how it is done in U Tube

10 Likes

instead of sugar, try a splash of mirin.

I might sometime. I do think the sugar is traditional here in the Vietnamese caramel recipe.

1 Like

I hear that. Next time I might reduce the time it sits at pressure before instant release by a minute or two. We like our salmon about medium/medium well. I dishwash the gasket every time, but this is the first time I’ve used it with fish. Since it’s silicone, I wouldn’t think it would be too bad. Some people buy an extra for pungent foods, though. In addition to containing the smell, I like how it keeps the splatters inside the pot.