What's for Dinner #48 - the Drippy, Droopy, Doggy Days of Summer - August 2019

Mrs P has an artist’s eye with her plates!

1 Like

Our fav meal (breakfast lunch or dinner) during tomato season!!
Also my fav recipe from fuchsia Dunlop’s Every Grain of Rice. Very simple and incredibly delicious. Stir fried eggs with tomatoes.

15 Likes

Thank you @Elsieb! Yes, she is very creative.

I’m always impressed with the effort that many contributors to the thread take in plating their food (based on the photos of the food). They are worthy of restaurant plates - and often more impressive. In this house, we just put food on the table, in bowls or whatever, and serve ourselves.

7 Likes

We love eggs and tomatoes! I use Francis Lam’s recipe from NYT. I’m sure the ketchup is controversial, but it is quite delicious. The Times recipe is behind a paywall, but here is the recipe and another interview with Francis:

https://www.chopchopfamily.org/content/francis-lam-stir-fried-eggs

2 Likes

a donde vas?
I’m going to Barthelona in 6 weeks! Can’t wait to go back!!

2 Likes

love this combination so much! Must make again before tomato season is over…

oh my lord! i just looked at the menu… fantastic!

1 Like

Roast cod and Provencal tomatoes - what a perfect combo. Dratted fish-disdaining BF.

1 Like

Hi @Elsieb -

I love tomato & egg together, but have never had it “stir fried”. Looks yummy. How do you cook it?

P.S. Pretty plate.

For me it’s definitely become a favorite hobby. :wink:

3 Likes

Thanks @mariacarmen & @LindaWhit!

We always choose a couple of our must haves (egs. chicken liver toast & pork belly sandwiches) and try a few new things. The chicken “oysters” were the best bite of the evening (maybe the year) - juicy w/drippings & lightly smoked paprika, wrapped in super crispy skin. We quickly ordered more. :kissing_heart:

Animal is fun because they’re always putting new & seasonal items on the menu and it’s small plates so we order a variety. They’re casual & laid-back but very inventive. Okay, I’ll stop now… have I mentioned it’s my favorite restaurant? :relaxed: But seriously, Animal perfectly encapsulates the cultural mix of eating in L.A. If any of you food enthusiasts visit it’s a must. Okay, I’ll really stop now! Thank you.

8 Likes

¡Buen viaje, mc!

3 Likes

gracias!

1 Like

Have a lovely trip …

I think paraphrasing a recipe is ok here??? Just not copy and paste?
Stir fry tomato and egg
Equal amounts of egg to tomato, ie I use 4 eggs and a large heirloom tomato. Beat eggs with some salt, cut tomatoes into large bite size pieces, & about 1 tsp potato starch mixed with 2 tablespoons water. Heat wok or pan, add oil - think I use about 3-4 tablespoons. Pour eggs into hot oil and cook/brown and cut into pieces as you cook. My dh describes them as “fillets”:). Remove egg to a plate and set aside. add some more oil and stir fry tomatoes quickly then add eggs back with tomatoes. This is where you use the potato starch mixture, adding as much as needed to make the sauce come together. This step is optional but makes the sauce a bit more clingy. Also optional, I mix the eggs with immersion blender to a ribbony stage. Makes for fluffy fillets:)

3 Likes

Stir-fried eggs and tomatoes is a common home-style dish throughout Asia. I really like it Vietnamese-style also. Just add fish sauce and a pinch of sugar. Very ripe tomatoes are best to use. These same ingredients are also used to make a soupy version (add water and adjust seasoning). Vietnamese versions don’t have starch added.

The Vietnamese also have a clever use for too-ripe tomatoes: soften them with some fish sauce and sugar. Goes very well with fish. (I did post a photo on a thread before)

5 Likes

Great instructions. Thanks.

I’m new. Thanks for the tip. :wink:

Oh my yes!

1 Like

no sugar in this version? I’ve always seen it with a bit of sugar, and or ketchup! and sometimes sesame oil…?

1 Like