What's for Dinner #48 - the Drippy, Droopy, Doggy Days of Summer - August 2019

Be sure and post lots of pictures of the pan con tomate you have at the tapas bars…

1 Like

Not much newsworthy over here… (insert photos of watermelon and same salads of all the things) and of course lots of cucumber salad- terrible photo warning! Just rice wine vinegar, garlic, soy sauce, sesame oil and sesame seeds

I literally laughed at how bizarre HUGE this celery was! Like, it wouldn’t fit in my fridge it was so big! Added my metrocard for scale in the photo

This was almost interesting- veg assortment with lots of asparagus, edamame, shredded carrots, sesame seeds, and kimchi vinaigrette

Stopped at Murray’s the other day, hadn’t been there in forever and got an everything with (tofutti) cream cheese. It’s a good bagel but not my favorite

I leave for CA tomorrow (!!!) and of course picked up bagels to bring with me- these are from Best Bagel on 35th, my family really loved these last time i brought some from Best Bagel. Pumpernickel, whole wheat, cinnamon raisin, and plain for my nephew- a dozen to stock their freezer

Pumpernickel with all the veggies for me, and yes i asked for pickles but no did not ask for mayo (ugh) but whatever. Had half for lunch and I’ll have the rest for dinner with the last of the fresh veggies and leftover baked tofu that needs to be eaten

I’m super excited to see my family and just chill with the dog in the backyard :smile: and of course I’ll be at the farmers market right when it opens!

15 Likes

Have a good trip.

I made Thai Penang chicken curry (brought half the batch to friends who had a baby) and more sprouts on top of friends’ tomatoes with white wine vinegar olive oil, flaky salt, and pepper

Friends loved the curry - score!

11 Likes

Vietnamese crepe, Rice flour/coconut milk batter, bottom seared, filled with pork and shrimp.

Broken into portions, folded in lettuce leaves with cilantro and mint, anointed with nuoc cham.

11 Likes

Grass-fed strip steak and roasted asparagus. Not pictured: cauliflower risotto.

12 Likes

Mrs. P was busy gardening today, (we just got a Crimson Queen Japanese maple tree), so we did takeout from A Taco Affair, in Little Falls, NJ. I had a special taco of carne asada with chipotle sauce, corn, jalapeño, crab, red onion, bell pepper, salsa, and crispy tortilla. I also had marinated pork al pastor taco with green cabbage, pico de gallo, queso fresco, and pineapple habanero aioli. Mrs. P had rare sesame ahi tuna tacos with napa cabbage, scallion, pickled mango, and smoked hoisin. We also had sides of fried avocado with chipotle aioli, and Mexican street corn off the cob, with cilantro, lime aioli, and a cheese blend. We had a 2012 Alta Vista premium cabernet, a nice every day wine.

10 Likes

That is a gorgeous looking crepe.

2 Likes

That is a beautiful looking steak, Greg!

2 Likes

Thank you! Best Market does it again. While their packaged goods are pricey, their steaks cannot be beaten for price and quality.

1 Like

Oh, my!

1 Like

Saut

e baby spinach till limp in Evoo, then added freshly grated parmesan cheese as bed for dry scallops cooked in Evoo, then finished with butter .This was garnished with fried shallot and lime ( I prefer lime to lemon for scallops, personal preference) Son prefers his scallops really brown so the plate with the darker scallops are his.
Side dish was pasta cooked with the rind of parmesan cheese, till almost al dente, added to bursting cherry tomatoes in Evoo and herbs as well as a tin of anchovy n Evoo. Added pesto and again parmesan cheese ( not shown in picture)

12 Likes

OMG i’m so impressed! Love banh xeo! yours looks perfect!

2 Likes

Argentine-style sausages - our Meximart carries Uruguayan, Peruvian, Chilean, etc. “styles,” and these may be my favorite - in a tomato and bean salad. FM toms, cannellini, chimichurri with Calabrian chilis, French feta, and basil. And crappy sourdough wheat bread, that i thought was regular sourdough. Feh.

10 Likes

Fish Grill: a popular, kosher seafood chain in the area.

Manhattan-style Chowder

Seafood varies - tonight it was salmon. I’ve been away from New England for too long… because I’m starting to like red chowder… I can’t believe I just called it chowder!

Regular Trout

Southern-style Trout (a brush of spice)

11 Likes

um, ok.

Hi @Presunto -

Questions? Ratio of fish sauce, sugar & tomato? Do you remove skins?

1 Like

I don’t measure anything and don’t even skin tomatoes. Try adding a few drops of fish sauce first as it’s extremely salty. The sugar is to balance out the acidity. Taste after every adjustment until you are happy with the flavour. Will be nice if you also use finely chopped onions and garlic in the sauce. The base flavour of Vietnamese food : fish sauce, sugar, onions, garlic, peppers or chillies.

10 Likes

Andaluthea :tomato::wine_glass:

1 Like

They look fantastic. The colour of the fat, the marbling…

2 Likes