Roasted tomatoes! How to make, store, and use.

Six months!

1 Like

I make big batches of oven dried tomatoes toward the end of the season every year and freeze them. It’s lovely to be able to pull them out in the dead of winter when the tomatoes suck.

1 Like

I thought I bookmarked it but can’t find the recipe for roasting tomatoes with fish sauce. Does anyone have it? Thanks!

I don’t, but it sounds good!

1 Like

Yah, it was on a What’s for Dinner thread. I can’t remember what year but I think it was the fall when people were talking about roasting tomatoes. It’s weird I can’t find it online because it was an actual recipe by a well known chef and I don’t think it’s uncommon in the some Asian communities. Hmmm…

do you remember who posted or replied? that might help narrow it down

ETA was it one of these?

2 Likes

Here’s one from WaPo

Jeow Marg Len

Or maybe this one.

1 Like

Thanks @Saregama!

Wish I could remember who posted the actual recipe. I see where @Presunto posted about it and I responded, but I’m pretty sure someone posted an actual recipe.

Thanks @shrinkrap! The first link is behind a paywall which is irritating because I actually pay for WaPo but the site never recognizes my sign-in info. Need to call. Anyhoo, I do like fish sauce in tomato sauce but this was roasted tomatoes with fish sauce and sugar which will be easy to do but I was hoping to find the proportions.

1 Like

I found the Jeow Marg Len recipe online. That’s not the one I was looking for. But! I’m making it! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I found my post! But not the OP’s recipe… yet. :confused:

They do look good!

1 Like

Resurrection! It’s "too many tomatoes " season.

Never!

1 Like

These are Dwarf Secret Sauce tomatoes. Big 'uns!

I used the four ripest, sliced in half, core and easily accessed seeds removed, some sliced garlic, EVOO, and two small bay leaves.

Roasted cut side down at 250 f until the skins were easily removed. I did use 300 f towards the end. Took about 2 or 3 hours.

then turned cut side up and roasted until most liquid gone.

All that for 1/2 a jar, but what I tasted was delicious.

3 Likes

I roast tomatoes the same way I do peppers. Cut them and place them skin side up on a jelly roll pan. Blacken them under the broiler. Put another jelly roll pan on the hot pan full of roasted whatever. Let them steam a bit. Pluck the skins off. It is so easy and quick I rarely roast more than I need. I use both in my shrimp and grits. Cook thick cut peppered bacon and set it aside, leaving the fat in the pan. Sweat minced shallot, add the roasted tomatoes (lots) and peppers, sprinkle very lightly with a bit of flour. Hit it with white wine. A sparkler is terrific. I like to drink Sokol Blosser Bluebird with this. Toss in the shrimp and turn 'em pink but not overcooked. Serve with goat cheese grits.

2 Likes

Adding my method for making and (water-bath) canning a shelf-stable roasted tomato puree:

Core and halve the tomatoes across the equator (not pole-to-pole), scooping out the seeds and gel with your thumbs/fingers. No need to be perfect - removing most is good enough. Place the tomatoes in a crammed, single layer cut-side up on a rimmed sheet-pan. DO NOT ADD OIL. Roast at 325 for 2-3 hours until black spots appear.

Puree the roasted tomatoes in a food processor until smooth. In a large pot, bring the puree to a boil, thinning to the consistancy of a commercial sauce with 100% tomato juice (store bought or homemade). Hot-pack the pint jars, adding 1 T. bottled lemon-juice (and optional 1/2 t. kosher salt) to each pint jar. Leave 3/4" head space and process in the canner for 40 minutes.

If you’re concerned about acidity levels, you can use PH testing strips here to determine acidity levels. Add lemon juice, if needed.

The residue on the sheet pans comes off easily with a quick wash.

From two full 1/2 sheet pans + 64 oz. tomato juice, I typically get a full canner load of 7 pints.

2 Likes

I note a predilection for removing the seeds, presumably along with the jelly. My French cooking fastidiousness gets stuffed in a lockbox, and I keep the seeds and jelly because they are so rich in flavor. Aesthetics be damned.

I note a predilection for removing the seeds, presumably along with the jelly. My French cooking fastidiousness gets stuffed in a lockbox, and I keep the seeds and jelly because they are so rich in flavor.

I’m wondering about ways to repurpose them. Any ideas?

Can the tomatoes be beefsteak, etc, or are you thinking paste?