What's for Dinner #46 - the June Is Busting Out All Over Edition - June 2019

Interested. What is the method?

Grilled pizza! Not the most flattering of pictures but they were damn tasty.

For him (and baby) sausage, onion and pepper.
For me grilled garlic scapes, blistered tomatoes and this fun pesto fresh mozzarella my local Italian market puts out.

My only issue with grilled pizza is that I miss the bubbly, crispy cheese on top that I only get with the oven and direct heat above. Any ideas on how to remediate that on the grill? The whole point is to avoid turning the oven on.

15 Likes

Maybe cover pizza for a minute or so near the end of cooking? Should provide you with bubbly cheese but for crispy, I dunno.

2 Likes

I was thinking this but we were all quickly approaching hangry status with a capital ANGRY so I figured I should stop fiddling around and get dinner on plates!

1 Like

I, personally, think they look great!

3 Likes

Interesting - I tend to prefer japanese rolls over kimbap, but I feel like for veg options kimbap better suited. I’m thinking mainly about the pickles when I say that (and put a massive asterisk on all this because it’s only based on my limited experience), so I suppose there isn’t anything preventing the introduction of the awesome billions of varieties of japanese pickles into those rolls, but just in terms of store/restaurant bought, the balance (and thought put into the veg-only options) has been consistently better.

2 Likes

Seconded. I’ve been pretty much dry-brine only for the last…10-15 years after a few underwhelming wet brining experiences, so I’d def be curious to hear.

1 Like

That’s kind, but there are so many easy / unglamorous meals that occur - more of those!

1 Like

Only lunchtime here, but sharing it anyway!

Jerk pork and yellow plantain.

9 Likes

Total odds and ends veg dinner. Prefab Indian potato patties; roasted turnips; snap pea fritters; a cucumber, kohlrabi, apple, and blue cheese slaw, a sliced tomato. Cornbread with pickled jalapenos. Clean out the fridge day.

9 Likes

More about “snap pea fritters” please! Just picked some of the last ones, and have finally had enough of them “as is”.

From last year’s season. We had eaten so many and were sick of them. I chopped them coarsely in a food processor and froze them all winter. So I just defrosted them, mixed them with egg, flour, s&p, and fried them. They need a sauce or drip, otherwise they’re a bit dense. But since a number of my family doesn’t like zucchini for fritters, I gave these a whirl.

1 Like

I decided to eat the last of the peas in a salad.

sugar snap pea salad with radishes mint and ricotta salata, only without mint, and with Israeli feta.

Israeli feta! Where have you BEEN all my life!

12 Likes

Simple as noted above:
Four pork chops, either rib or porterhouse. In a stainless bowl cover with cold water.
In a small dish 2 tablespoons of kosher salt, 1 tablespoon of white sugar, 1 tablespoon of honey, 1 teaspoon of white vinegar, mix with some hot water to melt the salt and sugar, and pour over the chops. Cover with plastic and place in fridge for at least 2 hours. I normally do them in the morning before work , retrieve them upon arrival home. Wash off brine. I like to use a mustard/black pepper/paprika rub. Into a sizzling hot fry pan for about 7 to 8 minutes each side for 1 to 1 1/4" inch thick chops.

6 Likes

You got it…My pleasure.

It was a beautiful evening for an al fresco dinner on the deck featuring Mrs. P’s spicy Andouille sausage pizza. It went perfectly with Two Hands Angels’ Share Shiraz. The last picture is of me impatiently waiting for my pizza :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

18 Likes

Perfect evening, given our weather!

2 Likes

You look different than I pictured! :rofl:

8 Likes

I wasn’t invited…:grimacing: Still, I rejoice with those who were able to enjoy this fabulous summer eve.

End of the week cupboard scrounge.
Scruffy tian

Burgers with smashed potatoes

his and hers

Confession, I have never made a tian before. I thought they would be bland. Whoa…this was savory and seductive. Simply thinly sliced veg, salt, pepper, heavy sprinkle of herbs des Provence, and even heavier hand with the EVOO. Will definitely do again when I have time to make it pretty.

12 Likes