What's Cooking? (New Jersey)

We looked up a bunch of recipes for making naan using cast iron or even baking it in the oven, but none seemed like it would get the job done. With this pan only $8.99, we figured why not just give this a shot…especially with portable tandoori ovens costing around $600!

This was only a trial run, but I thought they came out very good. The flavor was there. Perhaps not restaurant quality, but certainly better than the pre-made stuff sold in stores.

The char and blistering look great! Did you use yeast / egg / yogurt?

I make chapatis but buy naan (albeit infrequently).

A friend uses pizza dough for her naan - makes sense, nice and yeasty.

1 Like

No yeast or eggs, but there was yogurt. BF made the dough, it rested for four hours, then I did the grilling.

I will still buy frozen naan as well. Shop Rite sells a 2-pack for $4. Patel Brothers has a 16-pack for $5. I stocked up yesterday!

4 Likes

As most of you know by now, DH is strictly a meat eater. He will occasionally crave sushi rolls , with lots of stuff in them to drown out the raw fish. He absolutely will not eat cooked fish, he can’t handle the texture, it isn’t pretty! Last night he had leftover lamb for dinner and I made, for the first time with guidance from corvette_johnny via HO messaging, poke or something akin to it. This was not a traditional preparation.

I had decent ahi, mediocre soy sauce and sesame oil so there was a need to add ingredients to create something palatable. I used soy sauce, sesame oil, grated fresh ginger, red pepper flakes, scallion, avocado, sugar, a tiny bit of peanut butter and topped with toasted sesame seeds and served it over an improvised sushi rice. I had some wasabi on the side.

DH likes cold sesame noodles which is why I added the peanut butter, no tahini in the house, in hopes that it would make the dish appealing to him, and indeed it did. He ate his dinner and mine, this is a big deal and a total win!!! Thank you Corvette_johnny for being so generous with your time, and for preventing me from destroying it altogether. I look forward to making this next time the way you suggested, which will more suit my tastes.

10 Likes

Mrs. P made smoked salmon pasta tonight. Details and pictures are in the main WFD link below.

1 Like

We had a nice al fresco dinner on the deck. Below is a link to the pictures and details in the main WFD thread.

3 Likes

You’re shorter than I expected Eli.

1 Like

I wasn’t wearing my heels :smiley:

1 Like

Chicken cutlet topped with bruschetta (and fresh basil from the garden!) over polenta. Wish the polenta was creamier but the flavor was there thanks to chicken stock, milk, and butter.

3 Likes

Question for this group, because if anyone knows, someone here does!

Are there any NJ wine stores that deliver to Manhattan (rather than ship)?

I’ve found a couple of Westchester stores that do, generally batched once or twice a week, but haven’t come across anything similar for NJ.

Thanks in advance!

Damn I messed up. I just saw you wanted delivery. My mistake. Eli may be able to help.

Sorry. I get my wine shipped from Wine Library by Fed Ex. They ship it overnight and someone 21 or over has to sign for it. I don’t know of any local NJ wine stores that have their own delivery truck and will deliver to NY. Some might do it locally within a few mile radius of their store, but I’m sure you would have to pay a large delivery fee.

You might call Sparrows in Hoboken. I know they deliver locally with their own truck so you might be able to entice them to go to the city?

Haha
I will ask - thanks

I think the Westchester places have regular deliveries in to - and I’m just guessing here - restaurants or smaller wine stores, so the retail orders piggy back.

I’ve actually paid case shipping from NJ many times because it can still be cheaper (when I’m looking for specific wines), but I’d be surprised if there are no regular delivery into the city type places (I just haven’t come across them yet).

Thanks for the link - will take a look.

No worries - will look anyway. Case shipping usually works out to $2/bottle, so it’s often worth it anyway.

You’re welcome @Saregama. Wine Library has a huge selection and can order anything for you that they don’t have. You can also purchase a Library Pass subscription for $99.99 a year for unlimited free shipping. I order at least once a month so I get good use out of that pass :smile: Also if you subscribe to their email list they have daily specials, and some of them come with free shipping if you order a certain number of bottles. I have a nice Chateauneuf Du Pape coming tomorrow (with a supposed retail price of $70, on sale for $29.99). I’m taking that to Laurel & Sage in Montclair on Saturday.

2 Likes

When Mr Bean turned 50 I wanted to get him a 50 y/o single malt scotch. Nobody would even help me find one except The Wine Library. They were great. It happened that a 50 year old was a little bit beyond my budget so I got him 2 25 year olds instead.

7 Likes

I would always opt for 2 25’s over a 50…:rofl:

1 Like

NYS liquor laws do not allow for interstate delivery for retail purposes, unless you actually, physically make the purchase in NJ and have it delivered by a third party to NYC.

1 Like