What's for Dinner #46 - the June Is Busting Out All Over Edition - June 2019

love this - love watching the steps, thank you! i need to find belacan now. i have ground shrimp packets available to me from my mexi-mart, but I’m assuming the belacan is more concentrated?

gorgeous photos!

Really lovely presentation! Does your cooking skew Continental?

I equally love and loathe this challenge.

1 Like

Upcoming - a very easy cheat’s veggie curry.

I fry onions and garlic. Add spices - usually Kashmiri chilli powder, coriander, cumin and garam masala (but I’m flexible about this). Then add a tin of tomatoes and a bit of water. It cooks for 15 minutes, then I add three tins of differing beans. I know I’ve got chickpeas, butter beans and black eye. They just need to warm through and it’s ready. We’ll have that with chapatis and chutneys - I’ve got two homemade ones - a tomato, lime and chilli one (which I’m sure I’ve given the recipe for before) and a cucumber pickle.

5 Likes

Loved this!

ROTFL. It skews toward “What do you want for dinner? Meat?” “No.” “Chicken?” “No.” “Fish” “No.”
“OK, we’re having surprise.” aka cobbled out of the fridge or cupboard. Cut some chive on top and call it done.

4 Likes

A Stir Fry I’ll call Cashew Pork with Rice Sticks. Flavored with Oyster Sauce, Dark Soy Sauce, Sesame Oil and a PSTOB. Love that Wok.

11 Likes

Using up leftovers from yesterday with a different protein. Mahi with leftover corn relish and toasted bread with orange and anchovies.

12 Likes

Long and frustrating day.
But the billing is done.

Quick dinner: sauteed chicken, broccoli, red bell pepper and onions mixed up with udon noodles and peanut sauce.

Finally, a thanks to members of The Greatest Generation for what they did 75 years ago on the beaches of Normandy, and remembrances for all who were lost on that day.

15 Likes

Sweet.

1 Like

Your plate is delicious.

Your June 6 sentiments are so right. Thanks for voicing them here.

1 Like

Poached celery, EVOO, banyuls vinegar

Cheese and chili enchiladas recognizable by no one’s grandma. Corn and wheat tortillas filled with cheddar and oaxacan cheeseiiadas and red and…larder. But delicious.

Again, absolutely wrong by cultural standards, but delicious. Another “what’s to eat when there’s nothing to eat”.

15 Likes

You’re creativity never ceases to amaze me :slightly_smiling_face: You are a true magician! I wish I had your bottomless pantry.

1 Like

You are entirely too kind. I just need to put something the table every night. Needs must. And please realize that these esoteric plates receive a continuum of receptions! :wink:

2 Likes

Baked cod with a copycat miso butter sauce I made earlier in the week. Simple stir-fry with frozen veg mix - didn’t love the stringy snow peas.

Originally used the sauce on steamed then broiled corn wedges.

A few days ago I had made some lobster ravioli (store bought) that I forgot about - topped with lobster meat and Argentinian shrimp (which tastes more like lobster than shrimp to me). Sauce from the lobster shell stock. No more pasta for a while, so I’m glad this was a worthwhile indulgence…

14 Likes

Holy moly. I am going to have to really step my game up with all these fabulous dinners that are being posted.

4 Likes

What’s happening to me? Been busy with work and some administration papers and I forget kitty’s birthday that was a few days ago. But anyway, he is a street cat, so date is flexible. Will try to whip up something for him this weekend before his summer holiday in the southwest next week.

I made @ccj pork trotters again. Lots of ginger, chilis and onions, seasoned with wine vinegar, light and dark soy sauce, oyster sauce… Very good, leftover next day was twice as spicy though.

Some pork belly ribs marinated with Gochujang and wine. Tossed in some aubergine 30 minutes before everything was cooked. Mr n didn’t like the aubergine cooked in this way, he preferred them roasted. For me it was fine.

The next day, pork was sliced and a quick udon with spinach, onion greens and mussels broth.

Melon season finally (!!) with mozzarella, smoke salted roe and greens.

14 Likes

Nice improv!

1 Like

My brined pork chops, a rib and a porterhouse.
Have been brining for more than 25 years after my southern born housekeeper showed me the method. Can’t beat it…a little preparation for so much great texture and flavor. I owe it to her not me.

12 Likes