What's for Dinner #46 - the June Is Busting Out All Over Edition - June 2019

Same could be said about most nyc restaurants! It’s usually a matter of timing, will definitely keep in mind for if/when we go to avoid peak hours

We were there sometime in the middle of the afternoon for a late lunch.

1 Like

Mrs. P made a delicious spicy roasted cauliflower steak with chopped peppers, fresh garlic, salt, pepper, olive oil, and a generous amount of red pepper flakes. It was a side dish to beer can chicken that was brined overnight and then covered in a Cajun dry rub. Apologies for the messy chicken picture. The plate wasn’t really prepared for picture taking :blush:

13 Likes

Have a wonderful time!

2 Likes

Exactly. This.

My parents loved Hakkasan, by the bye (dinners at a “normal” time).

But my spanish dinner last week was a cacophony - no sound insulation, concrete walls, tinned ceiling, full room, music - impossible to hear anything or anyone :joy:

1 Like

Tonight I made whole wheat rotini with meat sauce with black olives, fresh basil and ground fennel and a simple green salad with parmesan peppercorn dressing.

10 Likes

Wasn’t in the mood to cook.
Hadn’t taken anything out to cook.
So that worked out well.

So baked tater to the rescue.
Easy peasy.

Topped with the PSTOB, s/p, leftover sauteed corn and red bell pepper, and minced chives.

And wine. Raising my glass to Anthony Bourdain. Your dry sense of humor and seeing the world as all of us gathered around a table enjoying a meal is missed.

14 Likes

My leftovers went into a tupperware, so they aren’t beautiful. Hence, no photo. However, they were tasty. Meatloaf with leftover grilled zukes, mushroom, and onion (I love how you can put anything in a meatloaf!), mashed potatoes and cauli (pre roasted), and Suzanne Goin’s slow sauteed cavolo nero i.e. tuscan kale. Tasty stuff. Especially since I have some ginormous kale in the garden right now.

7 Likes

Red rice, shrimp and scallops. Pulled together this morning and enjoyed all day. It was that kind of day, one dish-3 times to enjoy it.

Your meals inspire me always. Even if I just pop in to catch up on your cooking day.

I’ve been getting in shape for the days ahead. I’ll be on the big rig for July and August doing my live fest thing, so best to all!

Rooster

11 Likes

We have been insanely busy lately so meals have been simple and slapdash. I finally had a free evening tonight and managed to put together pan seared salmon with Thai basil pesto (pulled from the freezer), with shaved fennel and red cabbage slaw/salad with a Sriracha-cilantro dressing. Iced mint tea to drink - this is my new summer obsession and it went especially well with tonight’s meal.

5 Likes

Can we skip June and fast forward straight to mid-October?

Yours truly,

Texas

4 Likes

Happy birthday dinner to Anthony Bourdain! In his honor, did a collective shot with a FB food group of friends, and made one of his favorites - Macau-style pork chop sandwiches. Tony knows his shit - these were SO GOOD. pork loin boneless chops, pounded thin, marinated all night in soy, black vinegar, sesame oil, rice wine (I subbed dry sherry), garlic, 5-spice, and dark brown sugar. flour, egg, and panko, then fried. Squishy white bread, pan-fried in a combo of butter and bacon fat - BUTTER FRIED BREAD WAS KEY. despite how it may look, the pork came out juicy and tender. 5-spice was the dominant flavor, but I could definitely taste the black vinegar too. Served with those damned leftover camping chips! oh lordy, everyone should try making this. it surpassed my expectations. down and dirty food at its finest. xoxo Thank you, Tony. :heart:

Bourdain%20tequila%20shot

17 Likes

Yum. A fitting tribute.

2 Likes

Oh no . I am going to enjoy this warm time before the snow arrives .

1 Like

Some real lovely nosh . Love it . Tony does know his shit . Will always be around.

2 Likes

Yes. DH is my clipping service, handing me tearsheets from several periodicals. The Week frequently relays interesting dishes.

3 Likes

Plan was for another round of leftovers but I just couldn’t :pensive:
(I’ll finish them tomorrow, almost done).

Thought I’d make an easy pinchos morunos recipe with chicken thighs instead of pork.

Buuuuuuut. Chicken thighs seemed slightly off. So I went back to the store, which made for a later dinner than intended.

So. Chicken pinchos morunos (inauthentic but delicious, via Milk Street) and asparagus with romesco (courtesy the second store trip). Probably the tail end of decent asparagus, but it was tastier than I expected. I do love romesco :heart_eyes:

Marinated the other half of the chicken for Musakhan later in the week!

12 Likes

Ha. We had one of our first hot days in nyc today, after insane weather for June (60s at night? huh?) and I’m already missing last week’s temps :joy:

Stay cool!

Show us your roadie meals, @Rooster!

3 Likes

Somehow these are never “simple” for me - looks delicious!

1 Like