What's for Dinner #46 - the June Is Busting Out All Over Edition - June 2019

I approve of this side.:wink:

2 Likes

OK, found the recipe I use (without the warmed blueberries part):

Mango

A Viet street food grilled beef. Fresh out of betal leaves…I subbed blanched iceberg lettuce. Worked well. I let these cook past medium rare, but they were still quite good. Someday I’ll have time and attention span to cook correctly. None the less these were well worth repeating.

16 Likes

Stir-fried noodles

Veggies: celery, zucchini, yellow squash, mushrooms, yellow bell pepper.

I use dried udon from Japan for my “lo mein” these days. They are a bit more expensive, but I like both the flavor and texture more than the common Twin Marquis-brand fresh noodles.

12 Likes

happy travels! i missed where exactly you’re going?

I’ll see your brown dinner and raise you mine, @ChristinaM.

I seared off my pork roulade that I started Sat. night. (stuffed with fig/olive tapenade, shrooms, shallots, parsley, and a little blue cheese) then added butter and white wine to the pan and stuck it in the oven, along with some leftover shrooms. The pork came out super tender and juicy, but there wasn’t enough of the fig/olive in the mix, which was my whole reason for making this. The au jus was tasty, just not super excited about the whole dish.

The taters were a total cheater version of patatas alioli, using TJ’s garlic spread (which itself is a cheater version of toum) mixed with a little mayo and chopped parsley. Very good, but a bit too rich with the stuffed pork.

Salad was YAWN salad.

16 Likes

Feeling compelled to finish the leftovers from last week before I revert to mostly low carb.

Tonight was a hybrid mexican-indian dish from Friday night’s market - taco toppings (carnitas, beans, cheese) on a giant paratha, cut up like a pizza. I coated them with some egg (why not take the hybrid even further… egg paratha…).

Really delicious. One of my favorite modern Indian chefs who decided to switch to Mexican after a failed restaurant crisis, but is finally circling back to his roots… fingers crossed for a reincarnation of his amazing (but financially failed) restaurant (that I used to stalk :joy:). His food sensibility was/is magic.

10 Likes

Thanks @LindaWhit!

1 Like

Pinch

Thank you!

Favorite would be Hakkasan - they play at a different level, as I find myself often repeating. There’s a dim sum assortment at dinner (steamed or fried, separate) in addition to individual orders, and a superb vegetarian selection (for you).

1 Like

Trying to gain some traction with WFD. I had a food epiphany last night Onions!

Halibut at Whole Foods continues to be on sale so that’s what was for dinner last night (following a fun trip to Beaver Brook spray park and Mighty Squirrel Taproom for Bostonian Onions). B grilled halibut (wild coho salmon for spring onion who turns his nose up to any other type of fish). I made mortar-pestle pesto for the first time and it was a damn revelation. Definitely required some sweat equity (B helped me with the pounding), which paid off handsomely. I followed Samin Nosrat’s basil pesto published in NYT and it had the deep, robust flavors that B and I love about pesto. It somehow had more soul than food processed pesto which is our status quo. We had leftover Barilla protein+ penne that spring onion didn’t want so we dribbled the pesto over the halibut and the pasta. Sauteed baby bok choy with TJ’s Mushroom Umami powder and some garlic for good measure and our usual broccolini with chili crisp. Both veggie sides prepped in succession in the same cast-iron pan. (I’m all about minimizing cookware/dishes for clean-up sake.)

Another lame, at-the-last-minute/messy photo (I took an action shot - notice B’s moving fork as he’s about to dig in).
IMG_6654%20(1)

16 Likes

Did I miss it? Where are you going? Have fun!

Lemon sole fillets tonight.

First a sauce is made of softened garlic, a glass of white wine and tin of tomatoes. It simmers for a few minutes. Black olives, an anchovy fillet and a handful of basil leaves are blitzed down, adding olive oil to make a paste. That’s smeared on the fillets which are rolled up and secured with a cocktail stick. Fish goes on top of the sauce and it’s baked for 15 minutes. Fish comes out and is kept warm; spinach is added to the sauce to just wilt a bit. Alongside, steamed Jersey Royals and asparagus - we must be getting near to the end of the British season for both. ABBA’s greatest hits to cook and sing along to.

Tomorrow - a return to an old favourite Sichuan restaurant in the city which we culled from our list a couple of years back due to hygiene concerns. Environmental Health has recently given it a new good rating, so we’ll give it a try. I see gong bao chicken in my future (and pork with green beans in herself’s).

6 Likes

Oh yes! It’s been years since i have been to Haakasan, i just added it to my bookmarked folder of when visitors come- i know my parents would adore that too. Hopefully coming visitors are up for it too!

Was that recipe from The Week?

We ate at Hakkasan once a few years ago. While the food was good, the noise level was atrocious. It was impossible to hold a conversation.

1 Like

That all looks amazing. Did you eat them in fresh lettuce leaves?

Thanks!! To Hong Kong and S. Korea for a month!!

The second dinner after the Heathrow meal on plane. Food was worse than expected.

Spicy pork with rice. Rice was too cooked and paste like. Salad has no dressing. Tomato juice. A small bottle of Spanish white.

Dessert was the best, but it was Gü’s silky chocolate with Yuzu and caramel ganache.

9 Likes

Bon voyage!

2 Likes

Merci!!