What's for Dinner #43 - 03/2019 - the SMarch Edition

The show? No, it was some kitchen secrets show.

Great restaurant. If it was local to me, I’d be a regular.

Mrs. P made beer can chicken for dinner tonight. She already took the chicken off of the beer can before I had a chance to take a picture :slightly_smiling_face: She will probbaly pull the leftover chicken apart and make chicken tacos tomorrow.

15 Likes

Very green tonight! The rest of the asparagus didn’t survive until dinner… steamed and chilled some green beans (and now I remember why I don’t buy them this time of year, kinda tough)
There’s chickpeas under there somewhere, black olives are back, cucumber, the last two sad scallions, cilantro and spiced salt. Kimchi vinegrette after the pic. Bubbly booch and some plantain chips a la carte

12 Likes

I misread that as Bubbe hootch. An old Jewish grandmother with a moonshine still in the basement!

4 Likes

I agree. Unfortunately Dad is insistent that they stay. I filed 3 today. They can now safely be used. It gives me something to do In the quieter times. Much of the day is rather tedious. I like to have projects to excuse myself to when he starts needing some alone time.

5 Likes

I nominate Mrs. P to be our honorary den mother!

4 Likes

Thank you :grinning:

1 Like

The tea brined chicken was a huge success. Big flavors, really well balanced. It had tea, ginger, garlic, onion, lime, tamari, habanero hot sauce and brown sugar in the brine (brined 24 hours.) I ended up cooking the chicken in the instant pot with 2 cups of the brine (due to rain.) When finished I took the chicken out to cool and reduced the brine/ drippings. In a skillet I sauteed zucchini and oyster mushrooms and added the cooked udon noodles, added the chopped dark meat chicken and ladled in some reduced brine. We topped it with Momofuku Ssam sauce. No leftovers.

Next time I’ll bbq but roasted would work, too- the skin was a really nice mahogany color.

12 Likes

Sounds good. I sometimes smoke duck breasts/meat or salmon in an old wok with orange pekoe. In Peking I had prawns cooked or boiled in Longjin tea.

1 Like

Which tea have you used?

Indoor or outdoor cooking? Made this for neighbours at a bbq lunch, a success.

Shredded chicken in wasabi sauce. Poached chicken breast in hot water for 15 minutes. Chopped finely carrots, yellow peppers, bamboo shoots, scallions, pickled ginger and bean sprouts. Tossed with shredded chicken, toasted sesames, and truite roe. Dressing: oyster sauce, sugar, sesame oil, chicken powder, dark soy sauce and wasabi.

Finished with a few pastries.

Yesterday was Ecuadorian tripe stews Guatita, thanks to the recipe of @PHREDDY 's MIL. I made some Cebollas encurtidas or pickled onions with this recipe but used shallots instead of red onions, as they are too sweet compared to their small red onions. Served with avocado and rice.

I like it, maybe I would like the 1 hour cooking of tripe extended, since I like them really soft. And more sauce too. Actually I hardly felt the peanut butter, it was very subtle. Mr. n was disoriented though.

Edited
Reheated for lunch, added more cooking water to the stew, and this looked more like the right consistency. Difficult to concentrate on cooking when there was Top Chef on TV! Wow, the Belgian chef works in consulat in Tokyo was eliminated! The level of this year’s candidates are good!

13 Likes

I understand. I am patting your hand from afar.

4 Likes

Indoor.

20190320_154422

Failed making fresh pasta. Luckily had ALDI brand “fresh” egg pasta in the fridge. With olive oil, garlic, asparagus, shrimp, and pesto. Pasta was a bit heavy but could’ve eaten it all day.

20190321_010135

Late night stress baking. Clockwise from top: bars with dark chocolate brownie on bottom, milk chocolate-peanut butter-krispie cereal layer on top; white chocolate cake with lemon glaze; and vanilla cupcakes.

15 Likes

What happened with your pasta? I’ve had pretty good luck with homemade pasta in the past. I have had issues if I don’t let it rest long enough.

Just some black tea I had here, I had a cold this week so I was working with what I had already here- you could vary the flavor with different teas and use different brine ingredients that complement different teas for different results. It would be a fun experiment.

I had planned to cook a pork stirfry, based on a Nigel Slater recipe. However, due to unforeseen circumstances, that has been put on hold. I had not “foreseen” that I needed to defrost the pork and to buy several ingredients.

In its place, a supermarket steak & ale pie, oven chips and peas.

I am organised for tomorrow - brown gloop in the form of ham and goose ragu I made with Christmas leftovers is already defrosting.

8 Likes

That’s usually a cause for a complete switch-up for what you’re planning to cook. BTDT.