What's for Dinner #43 - 03/2019 - the SMarch Edition

Sounds excellent

1 Like

Was it sweet tea?

Noooooo. I’m not a fan of sweet tea. I only added enough brown sugr for balance, it wouldn’t have been considered sweet at all.

2 Likes

today is last day for our visitor from Amsterdam , so we had an early dinner, late lunch dSPYcDbFSf%20aFUgyjBt4hA
2 large pieces of thick halibut that was smeared with Costco’s pesto, wrapped in heavy foil, grilled on propane stove until the skin of the halibut was charred . To serve, since most of the pesto has dissolved , we added pesto on the side. Picture showpidwNzYpRCmNNoGWevUsbA s the halibut that was still in the foil, all broken up with no evidence of pesto but it was GOOD!
This was served with Chinese veg, Yu Choy stir fried with EVOO, lots of garlic, S/P, soy sauce, cider vinegar, cracked red pepper and Shiau Xing wine.
Dessert is the left over apple pie and tres leches EPvvKRHeTiecXv7VdvlXcg
One is from local vineyard that my son and his friends visited this past Sunday.

11 Likes

best wishes to you taking care of your parents! grumpy/old/sick people are emotionally and physically difficult to deal with, i know. glad you have sister to help.

6 Likes

It was too dry/grainy. The recipe was with egg. I added some water but it never looked smooth. I cooked it anyway and the texture was terrible. Unlike bread, I don’t make fresh pasta often. Just need more practice I guess. Recipe was written for AP flour, but I used 00. Will follow recipe exactly next time.

I noticed that! I had them in the freezer, so who knows what shenanigans I had been up to! I DO seem to remember trying some faux smoked thing from Kenji.

Mrs. P made chicken tosdadas out of yesterday’s leftover beer can chicken. She baked the tortilla to make it nice and crispy, and easier to hold. Besides the pulled chicken, the tostada contained fresh garlic, red onions, chopped red, yellow, and orange mini peppers, chipotle powder, hoisin sauce, homemade guacamole, radishes, green onions, fresh parsley, queso cotija cheese, English cucumbers, and arugula :yum: She will probably make some sort of deconstructed taco or salad with the leftover chicken tomorrow. We got 3 dinners out of that huge Costco chicken :slightly_smiling_face:

11 Likes

Cooking for two babies and three adults tonight who almost went out for pizza. Instead I made Meera Sodha’s daily dal over brown basmati rice and (mostly for the kiddos) veggie “chick’n” sandwiches on fluffy buns with the works.

16 Likes

Ummmm… that sounds better!! :joy:
Also a valid business concept!

3 Likes

Made shaved brussel sprouts and guanciale with my daughter.

12 Likes

Another installment in the series of Single Female Vegetarian Eats Random Things and Refers to It As a Meal…
Mug of broccoli slaw thing with some scallion on top

Some meatless balls that i will spare you another photo of, dipped those in a little sesame oil and soy mix

And another huge orange! (Haven’t gotten sick this winter so something is working)

The usual kombucha to drink which does not involve jewish grandmothers or moon shine :joy:

16 Likes

You can probably download an app for that!

1 Like

I’d gladly binge-watch that series!

PS I’m eating veggie ramen with a liberal amount of Linda McCartney soy crumbles for breakfast right now. Perhaps I could have a guest spot on an episode?

5 Likes

Homemade unorthodox Char siu - real ones use pork shoulder. Braised pork belly with olives. Made them from scratch, I like the house made sauce. A bit too charred as I was distracted. Still good. Next time will use a honey will less character!

Also homemade wanton (not the skin though), alright. Quite different from those I ate in restaurants. I chopped the pork, should mix them, also, I believe my wanton were too big.

Pak choi sauté as legumes.

19 Likes

I learned a lot from this article: https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/01/best-easy-all-purpose-fresh-pasta-dough-recipe-instructions.html

I always make mine with eggs too. Maybe you needed an extra egg or yolk. You could also try a tablespoon or two of olive oil. The rest time is super important too. I doubt it was a flour issue since OO will yield a silkier texture.

Hope you have better success next time!

4 Likes

I agree, we had the same problem and added more water and oil, which seemed to do the trick

3 Likes

I haven’t made fresh pasta in a while but maybe that will be a good weekend activity. I was making a triple or quadruple batch before, making them into little single serving bundles, letting them dry out a bit and then freezing them. Pasta could be made super fast and only as much as we needed. Dump the bundle (still frozen) directly into salted boiling water and ready in 2-3 minutes.

14 Likes

AP, or all purpose, refers to the protein content of the flour. ‘00’ refers to the fineness of the grind.

I read many pasta dough recommends T55 or T65 flour.