What's for Dinner #43 - 03/2019 - the SMarch Edition

Maybe she is holding out for some salmon like @ChristinaM ‘s babe! :joy:

3 Likes

Yikes! Hope you are healing well, I’m surprised how much you have been cooking

3 Likes

More plantain chip research here, these could use a smidge more salt but otherwise i love them, thin and crunchy!

Skinny asparagus with spiced salt mix, dunked them in a little horseradish mustard. Yes, directly into the jar :))

Little cunchy veggie thing with the rest of the radishes, some cucumber, chickpeas and scallions, added a bit of kimchi vinegrette after pic

12 Likes

Fuji has been smiling on us and granting us some glorious views.

1st day:

Just now, on the JR:

We haven’t experienced first class on the Shinkansen, yet. We do EAT first class, however. :slight_smile:

Breakfast on the JR, again.

13 Likes

Trip to St. Pete with dad today for food. Purchased 3 take n bake entrees at the Italian deli. Then hit the Jewish grocery for lunch. Very good bagels. He could taste the belly lox so we bought a bit more. All provisions to be frozen.

The week has been stressful since mothers primary caregiver is ill. I can not lift her or maneuver her to/from the wheelchair. Plans have changed almost hourly. Somehow my sister found 3 more days worth of caregivers. I’ll be doing orientation and assisting.

All the chaos has dad rattled and grumpy. Which means he does not want much going on in the kitchen and has decided on frozen options for dinner the last few days. They are big bags that get heated in a skillet, P F Chang and Bertolli iirc. We will see what happens tomorrow. My next fix it project is to try to file smooth a dozen spoons which seem to have made friends with the garbage disposal. He insists they are fine. Caregivers and I feel they will cut mothers fragile skin. If filing doesn’t work I’m just going to remove them from the equation. Then if he gets po’d it’s at someone who is not around to have to hear about it all the time. :smirk:

My late dinners have been simple skillet concoctions with pasta. One night I picked up veal and planned picata. No vermouth but found marsala so switch gears. Tonight was shallot, zucchini, sad tomatoes, Italian sausage with a little wine to deglaze and a soft garlicky cheese stirred in. My brothers cats watch with interest. I spoke with my cats boarding facility and Skylar, the new to me kitty, has stopped eating. They have started him on the appetite stimulator meds. Fortunately I brought the items which tempted him before: chicken broth, canned tuna for the water, cheese, half n half and peanuts. Fingers crossed he starts eating and doesn’t need to be switched to boarding at the kennel like conditions at the vets.

15 Likes

Good luck!

3 Likes

Sounds like you definitely have your hands full. Your day in St Pete with your Dad was a nice diversion. I’m sure he enjoyed being out

5 Likes

Herself is going into the city with her sisters this evening. The coven is having dinner at a ciccheti place before going to see a visiting production of Les Miserables (again).

Me? I having brown gloop from the freezer - leftovers of a black pudding and chickpea stew that I made last month (a Thomasina Myers) recipe. Probably on toast. I think I’ll do “something” with apples to use up some cream we have - Nigel Slater’s “Real Fast Puddings” will provide inspiration.

4 Likes

I do love Ingelhoffer mustards. Plus their jars are cute - perfect for making a quick vinaigrette for one after you’ve used up the mustard. :smiley:

3 Likes

Now that I think back, I recall that a vegetable seller told me that the friarielli we had been eating in the restaurants had been frozen because the season had not yet started.

1 Like

Ouch! Hope you heal up fast!!! Looks delicious and I am super impressed that you did this with one good hand!

4 Likes

HA! Probably. Sadly for her tonight will be grilled chicken, perhaps her luck will change for Thursday!

1 Like

I vote for tossing those spoons. Filing spoons sound like a tedious exercise.

Hope things smooth out soon. Sounds like a challenging time for your family.

4 Likes

that DOES look amazing! am i crazy, or is there a pseudo-smoke ring there too?

i’m with you. short of a panini or something, avocado = cold

2 Likes

More chifles!

The TJ skinny asparagus is great even though some of those stalks are twiggy/ stringy. Still, at 2 bucks for a pound, can’t beat it - I’ve been through a few bunches too!

2 Likes

I watched some Food Network last weekend while in a hotel in Santa Barbara (no TV at home,) and saw a tea brined chicken- so I’m riffing on that with what we have in the house. Tea, ginger, tamari, onion, brown sugar, habanero hot sauce. It’s been brining since yesterday and the plan, weather permitting, is to spatchcock and bbq it- possibly using the wet tea leaves for some smoke. If it’s raining I’ll cook it inside. Udon for the man, zoodles for me, oyster mushrooms and something green to round it out.

5 Likes

our Boston-area neighborhood Sicilian-American restaurant (hole-in-the-wall) always has broccoli raab and they claim it is Sicilian. Lots of recipes for Sicilian on the internet, no idea how authentic they are. This article says the Americans (andy boy) who grow and market it in the US got it from Sicilian seeds.

https://www.epicurious.com/archive/blogs/editor/2014/05/get-into-broccoli-rabe.html

1 Like

oh, you have a lot going on! I hope Skylar will get tempted. Cats have such varying preferences but my two best cat friends (I’m allergic, they visited regularly from the next door neighbors, one in California decades ago and the other in Greater Boston) loved canned people tuna. I’ve heard that’s not good for cats even if you get mercury-free, however…the California cat was extremely excited about all kinds of shellfish, especially canned crab and she also loved the cooking liquid from cioppino, even with the garlic and tomato. That may be a health hazard as well…

The vet school at NC State has given my elderly mother great food advice for cats and dogs for free.

you are working hard on all these eating situations…good luck and best wishes!

5 Likes

Was that by any chance at Tupelo Honey in Asheville?