What's for Dinner #43 - 03/2019 - the SMarch Edition

Decided to take the pup to In-n-Out for a Friday treat. That’s my martini, fries, and burger he is drooling on!

17 Likes

Loved the fennel fattoush so much yesterday that I made it again. Just the salad, because I had some snacks out at happy hour earlier (with an old fashioned after ages).

14 Likes

Italian sausage sandwich. Braised sausage in red wine. Topped with gravy and green peppers. Wine to drink . Cheers

12 Likes

Sweet picture. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Yum

Looks so fresh and delicious!

1 Like

Linda, I make your balsmic-maple dressing for guests on the regular. Always a hit. I add Aleppo.

I can’t remember how we got on to the subject but herself and I got chatting about beef olives. It was a dish we used to make fairly regularly but havent in many years - decades even. Anyway, that’s now tonight’s dinner. We’ve got a piece of topside which we’ll slice, bat out to fairly thin and wrap around a stuffing. Your guess is as good as mine what stuffing recipe we used back in the 70s/80s but we’ll conjure something up from from bacon, breadcrumbs, herbs, etc. A long braise follows. Spuds and veg to be decided but I see carrots and leeks in the fridge.

Before that, there’s pigeon breasts (locally shot birds from the farmers market). Tossed in rapeseed oil and thyme, they’ll get a brief frying before going on a bed of salad leaves.

For dessert, Mrs H promises to do “something” with pineapple. She hints that it will be sliced, cooked in butter and sugar to glaze it and then flame it in rum. Ice cream to go with it.

(Thoughts are with our Commonwealth “cousins” - Mrs H’s aunt lives in Christchurch. Must be a terrible time for the Kiwis)

12 Likes

Is that a Brit take on braciole?

Is he/she an aussieshep? I saw the most interesting doc movie about welsh ship dog using this website Acorn TV . Here is a review of Kate Humble and her becoming a breeder . It is BBC but if you have Acorn TV, I=you can watch it. If. you do not, you can join for free for one month and cancel.

I love my 2 Pomeranians too. They go everywhere with me.

I had to Google “braciole”, but seemingly yes.

I’m not so sure I’d actually think of it as a take on an originally Italian dish. Google tells me that the earliest known British recipe is in Hannah Glasse’s 1747 cookbook - long before Italian food really started to influence British cooking at the end of the 19th century (although it was well into the 20th before it had a major impact - probably not until the 1960s when lots of us started to travel abroad for holidays). I suspect it’s more just a way of stretching out a scarce food resource by the use of a cheap stuffing, so probably appears in other cuisines as well.

2 Likes

This maybe helpful for you. You can use method 2 (link below): disabling autocorrect for certain words but leave auto correction on.

1 Like

ccj, yes, a mini australian shepherd (35 lbs). I’ll check out the program. Thanks!

Interesting!

:four_leaf_clover::shamrock::beer: to all!
In town to celebrate! Wishing you all delicious feasts with the good people you hold dear.

Got going…Roasted cabbage, taters and carrots drizzled with horseradish butter and slow cooked rubbed corned beef with horseradish cream. Perfect night for a firepit!

Cheers,
Rooster🎸

8 Likes

Dinner is taking it’s sweet time

Put a corned beef brisket on the smoker coated in pastrami spices. Steam finished in the oven

The “healthy” stuff

14 Likes

Turkey lettuce wraps with mushrooms and water chestnuts

13 Likes

A good day. For both Mom and me. :slightly_smiling_face:

Dinner was pork tenderloin seasoned with oil, salt, pepper, and dried thyme, then pan seared and roasted to medium.

Served with a mango salsa, comprised of chopped mango, minced shallots, chopped red bell pepper, a small bit of minced Cuban pepper, lime juice, and minced parsley (instead of the dreaded cilantro).

I heated up some leftover rice pilaf and added some dried thyme, a pat of butter, and sour cream to give it a creamy texture.

Steamed asparagus and wine alongside.

Yup. A good day.:heart:

12 Likes

Mmm yum

2 Likes

We eat out on the weekends. We had another excellent dinner at Drew’s Bayshore Bistro in Keyport, NJ. The writeup and pictures are in the below link.

2 Likes