What's for Dinner #43 - 03/2019 - the SMarch Edition

Last night I basically crashed a kids’ birthday party! :joy: it was a kids and parents situation and my friend insisted i come as her plus one since her SO is out of town and she didn’t know most anyone.
I had most of a slice of pizza that i took the cheese off of (didn’t want a miserable rest of the evening) while The Hot Dad kept refilling wine glasses so i ended up tipsy and still kinda hungry!
Picked up these crazy delicious crunchy chickpeas at the fancy bodega, gotta find out where to buy more they were so good- tasted like they were fried yet were not

The pretzels didn’t even make it all the way home, these are super thin which i love

Cabbage is on crazy sale so i made that odd yellow curry cabbage thing, lots of onions and lemongrass paste, coconut milk, a few carrots, there’s tofu somewhere in there, and random red potatoes that needed to be used. Also very happy to see cilantro on sale this week :))

11 Likes

nice dinner but forgot to take pictures
duck legs from maple leaf, cooked in turbo broiler till super crunchy
small potatoes roasted in EVOO ( no space in turbo broiler as originally planned but had 2 guests for dinner) roasted in oven with garlic powder, S/P and dried rosemary leaves,
snow pea leaves stir fried. with lots of garlic, cider vinegar, crushed red pepper, splash of shaoxing wine, soy sauce m and a drizzle of sesame oil before serving.
left over apple pie and ivanilla ice cream for dessert

6 Likes

A trip to help with my parents came up with little notice. My dad is on chemo and it is doing a number on his tastebuds. He always requests quiche for the first dinner I make. Unfortunately, he couldn’t taste it properly.

His 2nd request is always deviled eggs. They just registered as salt. I did not add salt. I think his tongue interpreted the mustard as salt. But he ate them.

After much discussion of what he has had positive results and what has been negative I suggested meatloaf for dinner. (Ketchup/tomato sauces have tasted good, same with animal-based fats.) Made the meatloaf with ground chuck and pork and lots of ketchup. Success! He finished his meal and had dessert.

Experiments will continue this next week. I mentioned that my brisket had been fine-tuned. He’s thinking about it…I’m the designated driver too since he is pretty shaky these days. He’s still 100% mentally!

I think my mother knows I’m visiting. She seemed to look at me once and appeared to give a slight nod when I asked her a question. It’s rather hard to tell. We just try to assume she is aware and every once in a while she gives evidence that she is.

Cleaned the fridge top to bottom. The oven is next on the chore list. Dads shoes look like hell so polishing is on the agenda.

My parents eat so early. I’m pet sitting for my brother and put a second dinner together later for me. Hoping to see my sister. She’s recovering from surgery so I’m filling in for both sibs on the parental care. Glad I can do it. I appreciate how much day to day care they provide.

Edit: this typing on a cell phone is tedious. It feels like my index finger must be 300 pounds and big as a horse!

22 Likes

Oh my gosh, that’s a lot to deal with… that’s great dad was so into the meatloaf, guess the third time is a charm.
Would your siblings and mom help to eat any extra brisket? If so then might as well give it a go.
Hope the rest of the week goes as well as it can

3 Likes

My mom eats whatever is served as long as it is chopped fine. Sister is kind of lucky. Brother is out of town. I just make suggestions and then cook what Dad decides!
Edit: lucky should be picky, spell check is a little dictator.

3 Likes

Sorry to hear about your folks. Everyone still in Tampa Bay ?

1 Like

You have a lot on your proverbial plate.

3 Likes

My prayers for your Dad, and hope he beats it!
My sister who went through the process had her taste and preferences altered by the chemo, which created a huge challenge for my brother and I who were providing her care.
As I would always say to my self, “ok… today; let’s make some lemonade from the lemons”

3 Likes

There’s a lot on your plate, @meatn3, but sounds like it’s very much appreciated by your dad, especially the meals he can taste and really enjoys. Many hugs to you all.

2 Likes

I call your cilantro/coriander and raise you the dreaded sprout.

2 Likes

My husband’s aunt is on chemo now, it’s tough on appetite. Good that your dad has something he likes to eat, he appreciates certainly that you are by his side. Hope the best for him and your mom.

2 Likes

Friday night we ate out at another Japanese izakaya, the equivalent of an afterwork pub. A few yakitoris including chicken hearts and tail and duck. The tail was the most tender.

Deep fried oyster

Grilled eel and fish

Soba

And of course with beer and sake.

WFD yesterday was stored bought dim sums, spring rolls and dumplings. Didn’t photograph.

19 Likes

Salad leaves, ham, croutons, bottled vinaigrette

Fried cod, leftover potato and veg “hash”, spinach, parsley sauce

Glazed pineapple, cream

(Most of this, except the cod, is very much a use up of what’s in the fridge. )

8 Likes

What is the name of this Japanese place? Deep-fried oysters are one of my favorite foods. Especially for dessert afrter a lobster dinner.

1 Like

We ate in an Izakaya last night as well.

Couple of Highballs.

Spring Veggie Tempura. Especially loved the Shizo, Fiddlehead and Artichoke Heart.

Sashimi.

Fried Chicken Knees.

Horse Sashimi.

Sakura Shrimp Kamameshi.

In Shizuoka, Japan.

16 Likes

I just ate about a pound of Corned Beef & Cabbage, and viewing your photos, I’m hungry all over again.

6 Likes

Yasube, rue Saint-Anne. Will write about it tomorrow. Too tired tonight. :sleeping:

New England Boiled Dinner that I’m claiming as Irish tonight.
We’ll be having Bubble & Squeak for a few days going forward. What’s not to like about that?

15 Likes

Quiet day. Quite enjoyable.

Since I don’t do corned beef, it’s roast leg of lamb for me…a more traditional St. Patrick’s Day meal…in Ireland, that is. :slightly_smiling_face:

The sides were roasted potatoes with salt, pepper, dried thyme and dried minced onion. And green beans with toasted almonds.

Wine.

And since I didn’t win Powerball last night, it’s back to work tomorrow morning.

16 Likes

I made Chinese corned beef once or twice from Irene Kuo’s The Key to Chinese Cooking. It was quite good, and easy to make.

3 Likes