What's for Dinner #30 - The Hearts & Flowers Edition - Feb '18

A simple feed tonight - Ina’s Lemon Chicken (I used a b/s split in half and cut the sauce ingredients in [mostly] half), rice pilaf, and steamed green beans. Wine.

5 Likes

Isn’t that the truth? I am in week 5 of one illness or another, and I am so ready to be healthy again. This stomach bug was a gift from the grand-scallion. She started on Saturday. Monday her father came down with it. Wednesday the scallion’s mother, my husband and I all woke up in unpleasant ways. They are all recovering more quickly. After three years of chemo without stop, my body simply takes longer to heal. I kept a bit of chicken stock down tonight. Tomorrow, we will start the day with old-fashioned oatmeal and see how we do.

6 Likes

Photo does not look upside down. My last picture was not upside down but the photo was really cropped

Yesterday was epic, seriously one day out sick and You would have thought i was out a week!! There was an epic neverending meeting that should not have taken all day and into the night yet it did… i had a half slice of leftover lunch delivery thin crust pizza they had ordered around 7pm since i was hangry (peeled off the cheese, my lunch was a lackluster sad delivery salad from said pizza place-imagine leaves with sad tomatoes and maybe six chickpeas). Once home i warmed up a container of mysterious yet tasty tomato based veggie lentil soup from the freezer, kombucha a la carte.

Tonight i made this great sheetpan meal which i have made a few times before but not in a while. I use the super extra firm high protein tofu from trader joe’s which doesn’t hold nearly any liquid and is sold vacuum sealed, and toasted sesame oil, and an entire huge bunch of curly kale however much that is. I’m not passionate about rice and usually skip making any. Unusual delicious combo of the greens and tofu and coconut with the sesame oil and soy sauce, makes enough for dinner and a lunch for me.
Dessert will be tea and a half dose nyquil

5 Likes

Glad your tummy tolerated the stock, that’s promising!

I had a whole boneless prime ribeye roast in the fridge that had been wet-aging for a few weeks, so I decided it was time to cut it up. The meaty trimmings were dinner. I wish I could tell you that I did something creative with them, but I have to admit I just seared them and ate them.
No side dishes. MEAT: it’s what’s for dinner!

5 Likes

Smoked chicken leg quarters with mashed potatoes

10 Likes

That’s all thats really needed. Chicken and potatoes. Looks real nice.

1 Like

last time i smoked was about 2 weeks ago . 2 whole pork butt, 9 pounds each, pulled Carolina pork with vinegary sauce.
I have not cleaned the smoker!!!
hae to do that the next week or so.
Would like to smoke another butt for a visiting guest from Amsterdam, maybe ribs also day.
Preparing menu now for about a week -10 days visit?
want to cook food that the dutch are not accustomed to.
Have never smoked chicken, just pork, bluefish and brisket,
Also like steve rachlin’s pork loin with brown sugar, mustard, kentucky whiskey , memphis dust wrapped with bacon This is to my favorite but it is less time consuming not just in smoking but cleaning as the loin is not as greasy! It pairs well with double smoked potato and smoked pear.

Go ahead and toss some chicken on that smoker ccj

It was, but the Mod fixed it.

Reverse hot wings in the oven. Garnish with cilantro. Little Frank’s Red Hot Sauce. I believe the real star here was the baked potato that is scooped out and used the cooked skins for chips to dip into the potato. Zucchini little garlic little peperoncino. Wine to drink🍷. Cheers

9 Likes

I agree too. Can’t explain exactly, I guess it is the way how @mariacarmen photos her food, the colours the plating and of course, the roasted meat is yummy!

1 Like

My mom’s usual reply to my meals “no sides,” no, stop asking.

7 Likes

Slow roll food reintroduction begins. Flax was first but just needed a small dose so decided to make a quick microwave flax bread for a chicken sandwich. Chicken breast seasoned with “trifecta blend” (mix of garlic, salt and pepper) spread with mayo, bacon on toasted flax bread. No adverse effects. Cauliflower is next. This might be first week feeling functional again in 3 months so hoping I’ve identified the issue - no more sweet potatoes for me.

4 Likes

My reply “you’re not eating here.” She’s a very “proper” type and her only child is most certainly not when it comes to stuff like this so it’s the usual head bang. She’s still stumped by eggs for dinner, “you can’t do that.”

1 Like

will have to clean up first
am planning to make cha sio , used to do it in the oven , hanging
took one rack out of the oven, use heavy paperclips, hang them on the upper rack but if I get that cleaned, may throw in a few pieces of chicken with cha sio or with my ribs.

Reminds me of my husband and father in law ho both like potato skins.
When we gather around for a meal and have potatoes, both would ask for potto skin, crispy them up a bit and dip in cheese sauce or sour cream If they are available at restaurants, that is one fo their favorite side dish.

4 Likes

Salade Nicoise with (waffled) crab cakes (instead of tuna). Green beans, cherry tomatoes, olives, hard boiled eggs, over butter lettuce. (Skipped the potatoes.)

https://www.skinnytaste.com/waffled-c

Mango/strawberry yogurt parfaits for dessert.

There’s a place out here that is famous for their strawberry stuffed Donuts (below). I might waffle some flaky biscuits, dust them with powdered sugar, and top them with grilled skewered strawberries and whipped cream, and call it Strawberry Shortcakes.

The Donut Man
http://www.thedonutmanca.com/

8 Likes