What's for Dinner #30 - The Hearts & Flowers Edition - Feb '18

Pounding often lead to the breast breaking up and is messy for me
As for stocks, I use a lot of shrimp and so, I roast their shells to use for broth

since I usually make shrimp barilla protein plus pasta using the shell plus the rind of my parmesan cheese to cook the pasta in. Often, i undercook the pasta a bit, before it becomes al dente, drain the pasta, cook garlic in EVOO, add the pasta and the more concentrated shrimp broth before adding my pre sauteed shrimp-chipotle sauce- anchovy -garlic, then serving with Costco’s pesto . It is very reasonable at 9.99 for a 22 ounce jar. I have not made pesto since I discovered this product which is made of EVOO, imported italian basil.
In the summer thru thanksgiving, we have fish caught from our dock We use rockfish fillet to fry, as for the carcass and head, I make broth, take the cooked head and carcass out, use a fork to scrape the meat out which I serve to my 2 poms. The broth is frozen for paella. Incidentally, if interested , Costco on line has the full thread 14 ounce spanish saffron for 79.99, They used to carry coupe. My latest supply is arriving soon as we cook a lot of paella even during winter time. !

12 Likes

Exactly! This winter the weather has changed my weekly shopping habit to monthly so I’m hoarding more and it’s like Jenga dealing with the freezer. So I think the cats need their own freezer as I buy their food in bulk. I’m currently delaying picking up an order because the freezer is full.

1 Like

I had a 2nd fridge but the freezer was malfunctioning so took it out of service. Currently my in house drawer freezer and garage chest freezer are stuffed.

Stock making is sadly not done like it use to be years ago. Good stocks make a big difference in many dishes. Your seafood stocks sound wonderful

5 Likes

when I am making adobo ( filipino chicken and pork cooked with soy sauce, cider vinegar, garlic, onion bay leaf hot pepper etc, my son always complain there is not enough gravy as he loves lots of this gravy practically swimming in his rice. So, I buy a lot of bones from the Asian Stores, cook the adobo in my 14 liter copper pot, with lots of gravy. At the end, I usually thicken the gravy with unflavored gelatin. Since I make a big batch, I freeze the adobo, , freeze the extra stock separately labeled as adobo stock. NO MORE COMPLAINT SINCE THEN. Of course, it would be ideal to use marrow bones but they are too pricey. Last I check, they were over $3.50 per pound, so I feel the gelatin helps.

4 Likes

I have a 22 cu ft freezer in the garage, and a salvaged 16 cu ft fridge from one of our rental apartments all in the garage…We have 24 cu ft GE monogram in the kitchen…that being said, we do have enough cold storage space…although I would love a "walk in Fridge/freezer…ala restaurant!

1 Like

OK now I don’t feel so bad, you guys get me :slight_smile: Others don’t see the need for so much storage but many of them also don’t see the need to turn on the stove either.

Absolutely agree. The point to make real stock, sometimes can cost a lot, not only talking about the time needed for shimmering.

Delicious! Bone marrow stock, I used this for making the soup for Vietnamese beef pho. If restaurants use the same stock like we do, I wonder how much they need to charge a bowl of noodles.

don’t feel bad
I am sole person with 2 pomeranians that lives permanently with me . My son is away 4 months/year and when in US, he is away on weekends mostly.
I own a subzero pro with glass door ( 30cu ft) in my kitchen, an LG french door 28.9 cu ft refrigerator plus? freezer, and an electrolux 18.6cu ft. freezer n the pantry A friend’s husband who passed away wanted to give me her chest freezer for the garage as he was a hunter but I turned her down My son thinks I should accept it. Without a generator, I am always afraid that when power is out, I would lost lot. I always get a whole venison for my poms in the electrolux freezer, just grind enough to keep in my subzero. Thank god, when the power is out, the subzero pro has such great insulation that the temp almost stay constant even for a day without power. I only see the ice fuse together compartment. Whenever there is a sale, I hoard stuff. I may be without vegetable but have lots of meat, stocks etc. and need not go to grocery store unless I need vegetable. For milk, I buy the ones from Costco in a case of 3 whenever we go to Costco so, there is always milk in the fridge ( they keep for at least a month even longer) as I do not like the milk from the regular supermarket stores.

2 Likes

I think I will appreciate a second freezer. I have only 1 fridge with 2 doors freezer/fridge side by side, here they called it American fridge, I have trouble in stocking good bread (took so much space). But the problem if I had another freezer, I would start stocking up things that I had problem to get rid of or use instantly…and eventually I would probably forget they existed…and ended up in the trash.

That’s the reason I finally bought a big pressure canner! I love having the stock shelf stable, canned in the a few different sized jars of the portions I use frequently. And it really has given me much more room in the freezer.

3 Likes

I do fear a power outage and have debated a generator in case of emergency.

I allow myself more storage only if I organize it. I keep a spreadsheet so I know exactly what is in there and don’t waste anything. I despise the side by side fridge and freezer, you can’t fit anything in either.

1 Like

Good idea. I tried my best to remember labelling everything but not spreadsheet yet.

You’re too good. Mine is a mess with stuff that gets shoved in there. I have a pull out for meat and one for seafood but other than that its find room anywhere you can. When I find good buys I stock up. Vacuume sealing has allowed me long storage with minimal to no loss in quality

1 Like

When I started throwing more stuff in it I knew I needed some organization. It also helps when I can’t decide what to eat-I’ll glance over the list and pick something.

1 Like

It’s super helpful. I used to do a layout but now I list by general region.

1 Like

How long do you keep your food in the freezers? I tried to consume them in several months, but sometimes they can be forgotten and stay up to 2 years.

We ate out tonight, tried a new ramen place that always has long queues especially on weekends. We arrived early to avoid the lines.

Soup base with sardine, pork chasshu, hint of spice, was pretty good.

Black sesame soup base, pork and chicken chasshu. Not bad too.
IMG_3516

I had yuzu mojito, H has beer.

8 Likes

Oh noooooo!! You guys have had such a rough time lately with the sickness! Have you been to see your doctor? Not sure what they can do exactly but your body has been through a lot… i hope you’re both on the mend ASAP!
when recouperating from a tummy bug i make brothy oatmeal, basically just the oats cooked in lots of broth, which gets kinda of creamy and starchy from the oats.