What's for Dinner #30 - The Hearts & Flowers Edition - Feb '18

This sounds tempting…

1 Like

I take a different tack when bellies need TLC…mild but salty because your body needs the salt. A jook (Asian rice porridge) or Korean seaweed soup (miyuk guk) are my go-tos.

1 Like

again, too nice!! i really try but I don’t always love the results. thanks tho, appreciate it!

:open_mouth: gasping at those taters!

that chicken looks fantastic! i can smell the smoke from here!

1 Like

My first encounter with the Donut Man’s strawberry donuts was marvelous. Then I tried the Tiger Tail and was hooked. (The cruellers are also good, if fresh.)

2 Likes

No kidding. The skin is my favorite part

1 Like

Their Peach stuffed donuts sound amazing too. Strawberry stuffed Donuts must be a thing out here. They’re even on the menu at Yamashiro restaurant in LA.

1 Like

I think the peach ones are much better than the strawberry ones. I can take or leave the strawberry ones, but I have to get a couple of the peach ones every season. And a couple peanut butter and cream cheese/raspberry donuts too…

Sounds like you are new to LA? Or just getting familiar with the fresh fruit donuts now?

2 Likes

Not new to the area. They are very far away from where I am. I figured why not make them myself and pass it along to anyone who wants to give it a try. I can’t wait for peaches :slight_smile:
I was watching QVC one morning, I think it was in the kitchen with Dave, and they were selling a grill and cooking up all kinds of things. He threw a donut and some strawberry skewers on the grill and I thought hey there are those strawberry filled Donuts so I want I can do that. Lol

3 Likes

This is the route that we chose for dinner. I always have the ingredients for either Chicken or Vegetable Congee in the freezer to serve my AirBNB guests. Tonight, it was to feed us. I chose Chicken Congee and I was only able to find a small container of pork stock in my freezer, so that is what I used in addition to the water. I also add some shiitake mushrooms, ginger and garlic.

Garnishes included toasted sesame seeds, “Stern Grandmother” chili oil, scallions, coriander and soy sauce. I put some white pepper on the table in the Cantonese style, but neither of us chose to add this.

[Any suggestions as to other garnishes that I should offer my Chinese guests would be appreciated.]

6 Likes

Century eggs go well with congee, although usually they are served sliced up in shredded pork congee. Pork floss is another typical garnish, it adds some salty sweet meatiness and a change of texture.

1 Like

More steak tonight, this time with side dishes! I seared a couple of fat ribeyes in rendered beef fat, then finished them in a bit of butter over medium heat, flipping every couple of minutes. Pulled them at 105 to rest, then added a sliced onion, a sprig of rosemary and thyme and a handful of garlic to the drippings. Deglazed with vermouth and the accumulated beef juices to create a bit of a sauce.

Roasted Brussels sprouts on the side. The beef was fabulous, although a few parts were a bit overcooked due to the uneven cut.

12 Likes

Growing up, my mother used to make congee whenever we were sick. She primarily used chicken stock and shredded poached chicken or ground pork that had been stir fried with onion garlic and add what you have there Ion your tray. I never did like it though she makes very good congee especially when she stir fry shallot in oil, add a splash of soy sauce and sesame oil as topping. Perhaps it is because I associate it with being sick when this is served. However, I do like it when occasionally, she adds what my dialect calls MA HU OR MA SONG. The former is more like dry longer strips of cotton while MA SONG is crunchier and are crystallized form. I love those added to Congee. Try and add the soy sauce, shallot and sesame oil too. It will give you a whiff of heaven practically! Here is a site re the pork cotton candy from serious eats. You can make it but it is reasonable and if you to the more expensive one, it is worth it. Try with of them and decide. I am sure your Chinese guest would like it. I buy the ocassionly and just eat them as is even without congee.

2 Likes

I would love to offer a soft-cooked egg with the congee, but that is too much work for the host, i.e. me! In order to do this, I would need to know exactly when they will want breakfast and it would increase the cost of the breakfast a bit too much.

Pork floss is something else isn’t it? I wish that it kept longer. This isn’t a breakfast that is ordered that often, so I can’t be throwing out unused product and keep it all affordable.

Pork floss keeps, it does not have to be refrigerated but if I were y ou, place safe and refrigerate after it is open. I never refrigerate mine, just keep it in my kitchen drawer.
You can buy small packet for just under $2.00 and can serve many meals with me. I often just pinch and eat a bit without any congee or rice
You might like it yourself. There is no preparation, just place a small amount in a bowl for your guest to add to their congee. Do not give them the whole canister or they may consume all at once.

2 Likes

In honor of national pizza day and reintroducing cauliflower, dinner was a dairy free cauliflower crust with nutritional yeast topped with turkey pepperoni and mushrooms (canned, because I love em on pizza!)

5 Likes

Tonight’s dinner is D’Artagnan Duck Breast, It was seared in my iron skillet on all sides, till instant digital temp was 120’s, rested for 10 minutes. The breast was , medium rare inside but the outside was crispy well done. This was served with soy sauce, cider vinegar, garlic and habenoro sauce. While I was almost done with the searing, I used the duck fat to flash fry 2 medium russet potatoes that I had precooked in the microwave. Then, while waiting for the 10 min resting period for the duck , I added 3 presided granny smith apples , the juice of a lemon, into some of the duck fat ( removed most of the duck fat ) withs about 3-4 tablespoon of butter, added a splash of rum and then some demerera sugar then apple was almost caramelized. Earlier, cooked some bok choy with olive oil, garlic, crushed pepper , soy sauce and cider vinegar, and habanero sauce earlier,

My son had started to eat the bok choy from the wok while I was cooking the duck. Pinot Noir too.Here are pictures. Oh Yes, we ate everything, no left overs, Luna and Wolfie had their share!

6 Likes

I see that the commercial ones keep, but of course, I imagined making my own to keep the cost down and increase the quality. Homemade floss doesn’t seem to keep and I imagined that freezing it in portions would affect the texture.

And the floss is served with a pork congee? or Chicken?

The nice thing about century eggs though is that they are don’t need to be cooked, or even refrigerated (I think).

Would definitely increase the cost though. Also may freak out some guests.

2 Likes