What's for dinner? #3 - Nov 2015 - The Extra Hour Edition

No, I have absolutely nothing against Italians. But, the first Cuban sandwich I ever had was made by a Cuban and it didn’t have salami on it.

No, the Tampa Cuban sandwich does not always have salami on it. As a matter of fact, in many places you have to request salami if you want it on the sandwich.

:pensive:

Cheer up Robin. It’s all good

Here is an interesting article written by Andy Huse on the Cuban Sandwich. Some may remember when he posted on CH

http://www.sptimes.com/2006/12/05/Floridian/The_search_for_the_pe.shtml

3 Likes

I don’t remember him, but that’s a fun article.

In turn, here’s a fun clip from the movie, “Chef”

1 Like

Loved it! Thank you. I wasn’t aware that I was so protective of the Cuban sandwich. I usually only get pissy when folks boil crabs instead of steaming them… :blush:
My appologies…

I enjoyed that! Thank You. :grin:

1 Like

Paseo in Seattle’s #8 Paseo Press is their equivalent. WONDERFUL.

http://www.paseoseattle.com/

1 Like

They are incredible.

1 Like

Made chicken liver paté today for tomorrow’s festivities; the salad can wait.

As for dinner tonight, I bought 2 fat pork chops that are currently dry brining in the fridge. Not sure yet whether I’ll grill them or pan-fry & finish in the oven. The amazing chop at Lolinda inspired me. Rub will probably be the blackening mix I threw together a week or so ago.

Side is a mixed salad of romaine, orange grape tomatoes, radish, cuke in ranchy dressing.

Virtuousness before the big feast. Might even skip the booze today :grin:

WFD on this Thanksgiving eve, boneless pork chop with plum ketchup, sautéed Brussels sprouts with bacon & cocktail onions, and purple kale & Napa cabbage slaw.

3 Likes

Busy night making a few of our traditional thanksgiving sides tonight, including my grandmother’s chicken and noodles and the dressing/stuffing. So WFD will be whatever we can grab that is easy, some cheese, an apple, and I think there are a few leftover taquitos, sour cream, and jalapeños.

2 Likes

The night after the big feast leftover sides and as turkey leg while i make stock then soup from the carcasses

Had a very late lunch of leftover turkey and fennel salad. This was last night’s turkey courtesy of our generous hostess, my paté and the salad.

A buddy of ours brought over some leftovers of his smoked turkey and lobster mac n cheese - can’t wait to try it.

That said, the plan for dinner tonight is the usual: cheeborger club & fries whiff my man at the local pub, a few pitchers of lager, some tunes with my mates, nightcap at the CBDTR. Old habits die hard.

Happy w/end, y’all!

2 Likes

Could you talk about that salad please? Looks scrumptious.

1 Like

Sure thang. As a side salad for two, you probably only need 2-3 bulbs (depending on how much you like salad). Cut off tops (I’ve used the fronds before for the dressing, but didn’t find they added much). Split in half lengthwise, then shave thinly (1/8th of an inch or thinner) on a mandoline.

The vinaigrette consists of apple cider vinegar, mustard, walnut oil, s&p, and dried dill.

Toss with desired amount of pomegranate arils and bleu cheese.

Another variant is using grapefruit supremes instead of pomegranate and toasted walnuts (for the crunch).

Done.

I cook even large chickens that fast; baste with melted butter and seasoned, at 450, spatchcocked or not, it ends up super crispy outside, moist inside.

1 Like

Oh yum. Thanks, l. I want that now :smile:

Incidentally it remains virtually balmy here somebody has to tell the tomatoes december is days away I had a few fresh picked ripe cherries to throw in the turkey minestrone.

4 Likes

We don’t host Thanksgiving, so no leftovers for us…and that’s just fine for me. I can take or leave turkey so I’m fine not having to deal with it for days.
Pizza with fresh mozzarella, salami, and basil was dinner. A glass of Cab was the only side.

1 Like

Miso makes everything look ugly.

@NotJrvedivici you can cook a large chicken (4 -5 lbs) in 45 minutes as well, just spatchcock it - I do it all the time. In fact, did this for Thanksgiving dinner since it was just 3 of us and a turkey would have been way too big, and it was declared “outstanding” by mother, who doesn’t really love chicken. See our friend Kenji’s post at Serious Eats for specific instructions etc (I think it’s called Easy Roast Chicken or something like that).

1 Like