What's for dinner? #3 - Nov 2015 - The Extra Hour Edition

Last night was a tempeh and bean chili with green chile cornbread and a side salad. Tonight might be French onion soup or homemade pizza.

No cheeborger club for us last night - I wasn’t in the mood. Instead, we split another fantastic hamachi cheek at the CBDTR. Just a Milano for me - Thxgiving was heavy on the party aspect (we left at 2:30 AM), so drinking didn’t appeal as much as usual.

Might catch a flick late afternoon today & have the lobster mac and smoked turkey for dinner afters. Still got some shaved fennel & pomegranate left, so we could reprise the salad as well.

Thanksgiving has come and gone… our turkey was a total success!

The turkey was smoked with cherry wood out on the Charbroil.
I didn’t bother to take a picture of the sides, but the pies are another story! This is my kid’s area of expertise and she did a fabulous job.

blueberry, pumpkin and apple
We have had two meals of turkey dinner and one of turkey sandwiches with tomato soup. I think we have one more turkey sandwich in us, but the rest has been vacuum sealed for storage.
I have been dreaming of turkey leg with mole lately. Today I ordered the missing peppers and I will work on that once the box arrives.

3 Likes

Zuni Cafe’s chicken will cook in 45 minutes to an hour.

I’ve been a big fan of dry brining a chicken before learning of Judy Rodgers and enjoyed her chicken at the Zuni Cafe several years ago. Love the salad as much as the chicken. The two go play so well together

Your turkey is gorgeous, and I know I’m sick in the head, but it immediately made me think of this: http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1504989.1383441555!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_970/tanningmom3n-5.jpg

Except, on the bird, it looks good!

2 Likes

That salad is great and has a real ‘wow factor.’ Haven’t made it in a while. Thanks for the reminder.

BTW, I have a hard time getting a chicken as small as what she calls for but WF generally has them in about the 4# range.

Oh, that turkey looks heavenly!

That is one very creepy link. My eyes may not recover soon!

4 Likes

Cheese omelette, fried chestnut mushrooms, bread. Strawberry mousse (bought) for afters.

Not exactly a celebratory meal, although I am having of a solo celebration - just finished Chapter 4 of the next book. A total of 25k words so far. Another 75k or so to go.

2 Likes

Merguez sausage with a spicy tomato sauce with a Saffron Rice topped with toasted almonds and tried onions. A wonderfully satisfying meal.

Made a big pot of Cuban Black Beans with white rice and a tomato salad

1 Like

Veggie pot pieish was dinner. Filling was onions, garlic, and celery sautéed in olive oil and a bit of butter. Flour added and cooked. Then a cup of chicken broth, and a touch of cream. Veggies were zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, peas, and pearl onions. Lots of pepper, salt, and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Topped with a few layers of filo, Parmesan, and fresh rosemary. Warm and tasty.

2 Likes

Hello all. Haven’t been on HO for some time, for various reasons, but got a nudge to rejoin and post on occasion. So here I yam. :smile:

Tonight’s dinner was lasagna (World’s Best Lasagna recipe from allrecipes.com) with a side salad was chopped radishes, tomatoes, and red onion tossed with chopped romaine lettuce and topped with crumbled walnuts. The vinaigrette was olive oil, sherry vinegar, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, honey, salt, pepper.

Day After Turkey Day was a turkey, cran-orange relish, Gruyere cheese, and romaine lettuce pressed on the grill pan. Sweet potato fries alongside. Easy-peasy, and quite tasty.

4 Likes

Just back from the SFBA with more Chinese leftovers than we could eat in one meal :slight_smile:

Welcome back, Linda

3 Likes

Glad to have you back! Miss you when you stay away.

2 Likes

Both look scrumptious (and the pics are very nice, too)!

How I have missed you and your daily stories and meals! Glad you are round again! We need wine, lots of it! Cheers.

1 Like

I have a rehearsal for a local event celebrating Sinatra’s 100th birthday early evening, so WFD will be easy-peasy: Wegmans’ lobster bisque and a mixed salad of romaine, butter lettuce, radishes, grape tomatoes, cuke, avocado & blue cheese with buttermilk dressing.

Perfect Monday meal.

1 Like

Wonderful pies! I ended up making small apple pie-crisps (pie dough bottom, crisp oat topping) and my sister made cupcake-sized mini pumpkin pies, so the fambily had their share of pies. But your daughter’s pies are gorgeous!