What's for dinner? #3 - Nov 2015 - The Extra Hour Edition

Ok my first day back from a wonderful family vacation I decided to do a few dishes per everyone’s individual likes.

We have pan seared Mahi Mahi (my son discovered his fondness of Mahi while away), Shrimp and pasta tossed in a garlic-butter-white wine-basil sauce, Salmon (maple bacon, yes you read that correctly - maple bacon salmon - store marinated I had to give it a try. Got rave reviews although no reported maple or bacon flavor) Rib eye for me. (Not my preferred store for steak so I went rib eye).

Not pictured canned (hahahaha yes canned!!! What do you want from me I made 4 different meals after working a full day AND shopping after work) French style sting beans. (Besides I do love these, lol don’t judge me!)

2 Likes

I only have the Tampa perspective of the Cuban Sandwich.
Ham, cheese and roasted pork on Cuban bread from the Cubans, salami from the Italians and pickles from the Jewish immigrants who all resided in Ybor City.

2 Likes

I love it all 'cept for the mint. I’ve never understood why some people like mint with lamb. To each his own.

Tonight’s going to be a green salad with balsamic/dijon vinaigrette (got some super-spicy winter arugula at the farmers’ market yesterday, along with treviso and purple butter lettuce), pan-fried fish fillets (I think it’s rock cod, maybe? Got it from our seafood csa and froze it a couple months back, and now I can’t remember what it was. . .), sliced purple sweet potato for me, leftover mashed potatoes for hubby.

1 Like

It’s* the * classic British sauce to serve with lamb during the warmer months. I’ve no idea as to its origins, although it dates back centuries and is the sort of sweet/sour sauce that may well go back to the Romans bringing it to my little island - mint is not a native plant here and did come with the Romans, so the sauce may also have done so. As with any sweet and sour sauce, it’s important to get the balance of flavours right, so you’ve got it complementing the sweet meat, yet cutting through the flavour of the lamb fat - for me, it has to be on the sharp side but not so much so that you can’t taste the mint,

By the by, the first job I remember doing in the kitchen as a child, was chopping the mint for sauce under Mum’s close supervision. Of course, that was in the days before jarred sauces, so we only made it while the mint was growing in the garden. After that, it was always onion sauce. I don’t know how Mum made onion sauce but it was probably a version of the French sauce soubise, which is what I make now for a change from mint (and would always prefer if cooking hogget or mutton).

1 Like

You have mentioned my two favorite ways to enjoy lamb. With mint “jelly” as is the classic accompaniment here in the states, or with caramelized onions and a Dijon mustard.

Can you elaborate on the mint “sauce”, is it a warm sauce?

No, it’s served at room temperature and is a simple mix of mint, sugar and malt vinegar (although posher versions use cider or wine vinegar). For instance - http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2063672/simple-mint-sauce

I’ve been slacking on my reading & posting here. Some highlights from the past week:

Massaged kale salad with radish, fennel, avocado, pickled onion, grapefruit, macadamia, and a pink peppercorn vinaigrette

GF maple pumpkin bread with a vanilla-pumpkin spice glaze

Grilled chermoula chicken with cauliflower “couscous” pilaf, Moroccan beet & carrot salad, and minted yogurt

Seasonal vegetable medley with runny poached eggs and chile threads

7 Likes

Last night we ended up grabbing a couple of orders of beef tendon puffs (like beef chicharrones) and some deviled eggs at another fab place @mariacarmen had rec’d - Alta, before settling in to some roasted cauliflower w/capers and anchovies and wood-fired oven margherita with shrooms at Casaro in North Beach. The tendon puffs are my new obsession, I think.

A nightcap at Comstock Saloon (Martinez for my man, a mezcal concoction for me).

WFD was a Cobb salad at the Firkin & Fox @IAD. Not bad for airport food. And two Vienna lagers.

Had an absolutely fab time in SF and was sad to leave, but am now very much looking forward to returning to our monkey boy :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I had a small whole chicken that needed used so I rubbed some compound butter (butter, lemon zest, heavy pepper, salt, and thyme) under the skin and all over. Roasted on a bed of potatoes, carrots, and onions for about 45 minutes. Green salad and Pinot on the side.
I also managed to use the left over oven heat to dry my cheese bread cubes for Thanksgiving stuffing so it felt like a productive Monday night.

2 Likes

Mind boggling and interesting at the same time. I’m an adventurous eater and I do trust your adventurous taste.

Like tendons and marrow, and pig’s ears and all that stuff!

I let the soup cool down a bit til the steam subside then I was able to make some photos. Some rind and meat were still attached to the heel bone. I sliced the leftover meats and chucked them in along with swede, parnip, potatoes and kale (at the very end).

Eating the rest of it today but with added sausage meat balls, beetroots and swede.

2 Likes

45 mins for a whole chicken? Really? Just how small was that guy? I’ve never cooked a whole chicken in less than an hour +. (probably hour and a half)

Very small, about 2.5 lbs, cooked at 425 until breast meat was about 170 then let him rest for 10 mins. Cooked through and a pretty juicy little bird. Originally I planned to buy one bird from my FM guy to make some stock for the holidays, but he only had tiny birds so I got two. Then only used one in the stock.

Well, aren’t we lucky? Kitchen @casa lingua will stay cold again tonight, as we’ve been invited to our Cypriot friend’s annual “pasta parade”. Just in time for my diet hahahahaha.

So - pasta for dinner. What’s not to like?

1 Like

Thanks for explaining that. I’ll give it a try some time.

I prefer mine without salami. Just roast pork, ham, Swiss, pickles and mustard. Salami changes the taste completely.

1 Like

I would love to try them. Pork rinds are a fav snack. Never had beef rinds…

If you grew up in an Italian home your family had some sort of a chicken giambotta. Rough translation is a chicken stew, or as my grandmother would say; “chicken and whatever you got”.

Tonight’s version is chicken, hot sausage, peppers and onions in a tomato balsamic reduction. (Pasta on the side) Easy peasy.

1 Like

You got something against Italians? :wink:

The Tampa Cuban always had salami but different strokes as they say