What's For Dinner #27 - 11/2017 - the Giving Thanks Edition

One stop shopping! :smiley: And yes, I’ve made notes to add apple cider vinegar the next time I make the pork chop recipe.

This looks very nice so I looked it up. More or less like Austrian “squeeze cheese” dumplings, of which I a fan. Austrian version has a different shape. Sharp cheese and leftover bread are in them.

The same dumplings are served in a savoury broth in the colder part of the year.

5 Likes

Haddock. Kimchi paste is pressed into the deep incisions then roast in the oven.

To be treated with respect and care. Fine fowl from Bresse.

There’s another metal tag around the (blue) ankle.

Fricassée de poulet de Bresse. The other half of the bird is being marinated in kimchi paste for another meal.

8 Likes

nice! do they have meat in them, speck or something? the BF would approve…

i LOVE this dude, we’ve watched all his videos!

1 Like

i hope you’ve had all bad luck you’re going to have!

1 Like

This is the typical dumplings eaten all over Austria. With a salad or in a savoury broth.

The Styrian version contains Speck. Speck elevates everything. It is a very important ingredient in the cuisines of many European countries.

The Tirolean version also has Speck. This Austrian site is good and even has recipes in English. I read German and can confirm the translation is fine. Tirolean dumplings with Speck and Sauerkraut. Austrians eat a lot of dumplings and they have even more variations than German.

Also, the nicer the cheese the nicer the dumplings.

1 Like

I am always in favor of nicer cheeses.

I never cook or eat one, how is it different from a normal chicken?
They always associate yellow wine to cook with Bresse chicken.

It is the most delicious chicken I have ever eaten. I have cooked them myself, bought them from a rotisserie with those lovely potatoes that absorb the fat below at markets, and it has the chicken flavor that I compare all other chickens to.

1 Like

What @smtucker says.

In my book (picture above) there are several pages about fine fowl produced in this region. In short, they have a good life and quality control is very strict. The book also mentions France produces the most poultry in the world.

Some info here, and here.

Get one and try. After this you might not want another kind of chicken.

1 Like

How big is your chicken? I often saw them at least 3kg, too big for just 2 of us.

I watched Steak Revolution today, and they were saying 300-400 years ago, chicken were 7. 5kg (16.5 pound)!

Mine is 2kg. You don’t have to cook the whole thing. Split it up like like did.

Now you make me want to try it. @Presunto if it is only 2 kg, I can cook roast the whole bird.

Still not hungry from breakfast, but DH grilled a pizza and it was way, way, way better than it looks. I
was able to get a slice down :wink:

8 Likes

Is it a pizza stone in a weber?

lol … yes!
That’s wood in there not charcoal
And the pizza was amazing

The dough was wonderfully cooked!

1 Like

Re: buttermilk pancakes … never give up!

1 Like

He ventured out at 7:30AM and found that the Market Basket had restocked! We have the only two quarts in the store. Pancakes were enjoyed for our traditional Sunday lunch.

His pancake love will not be deprived!

5 Likes