What's For Dinner #27 - 11/2017 - the Giving Thanks Edition

Tonight was an Arancini night. That risotto was too good to throw out. Of course, it was a bit too moist to get a gorgeous brown exterior, but, no matter. Not exciting, but comforting. A close observer will notice that there is a meatball mixed in.

Oh, this is his plate. There are two meatballs.

9 Likes

Frankenchicken breasts (simply seasoned with brushed-on olive oil, sprinkled with salt and pepper and a smidge of Penzey’s Fine Herbs) and roasted.

Alongside, Wegmans’ recipe of Roasted Butternut Squash with Spinach and Dried Cranberries. Could have used some oomph from Aleppo pepper, IMO, but still good.

There was wine.

9 Likes

Cranberries with butternut squash! Brilliant actually, and yes, Aleppo peppers would be a great addition.

1 Like

Delicious mexican late brunch with friends today at a new spot in the east village, we ordered so much because the whole menu looked amazing! The pozole was probably my favorite, although it certainly packed a kick of spice for my wimpy self. Great cocktails too :smile:
http://www.matthewkenneycuisine.com/bar-verde

I have been invited to my very good friends’ apartment for T-day and she asked i bring a salad or veggie something, both her and her SO are such amazing cooks that i am always a bit nervous to bring something i make!
So tonight i decided to do a test batch smaller version of what i think i want to bring. I used the recipe for the mushrooms and dressing from this recipe, but served on massaged shredded kale and brussel sprouts. Instead of the goat cheese i used some chopped toasted walnuts, might swap to a kite hill cheese instead for Tday if i can find the one i want. And on Tday mushrooms will be room temp not served warm.
It made for a tasty meal but not quite right for what i want to bring. Maybe i’ll swap the brussel sprouts for fennel.

7 Likes

Leftover pork larb became fried dumplings for tonight’s dinner. dipping sauces: mirin/vinegar/sesame oil/soy/garlic; sweet thai chili sauce, and sriracha. a little red cabbage slaw with carrots, jalapeno, mint and thai basil, and rice on the side. BF discovered that dumpling skins make perfect little puris, too…

(there were about 12 more dumplings, too.)

9 Likes

Strange day today. We decided to eat lightly and we did. A baked potato. I harvested some chives. He had butter and sour cream while I just had the butter. I can assure you that he will snack on nuts later.

3 Likes

Lamb chops for dinner

7 Likes

More pumpkin here. Coarsely grated, breadcrumbs, too much cheese, deep fried shallots (store-bought). The dumplings were best thing in this meal. The SV-then-seared goose breast was a close second. Grated salt-cured yolk alongside instead of adding more salt. They were so cheesy they could hardly hold their shape.

Second half of Bresse chicken was marinated in kimchi sauce/paste. Half way through I brushed gochujiang all over it. The black stuff is burnt kimchi paste (ginger, garlic, dried shrimp etc) but it comes off easily when it’s time to eat.

8 Likes

Day 30 of Whole30! I’m happy to say I completed the month without straying from the plan, and even happier that I can have half and half in my coffee tomorrow. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Tonight’s dinner was spaghetti squash and lamb merguez sausages I spotted at the grocery store - they weren’t spicy enough, but the flavor was otherwise good.

Tomorrow: Sichuan! :grin:

7 Likes

Not a great hospital day… though they weren’t running hours behind which is a plus. When I got home, I started some bread dough for hamburger buns and pulled some burgers from the fridge. Oh how I forget that when it is chilly outside my dough takes so much longer to rise. But with some encouragement, I was able to bake the rolls and have them cooling at 6:45. Cooked the burgers in a cast iron pan, browning both sides before throwing them into the oven. Earlier I had made some Carolina-style cole slaw with too much carrot.

Since I hadn’t eaten meat in two or three days, a burger really hit the spot. And the cabbage was local and organic. So delicious. My cabbage love is a new thing, but I am embracing it. :wink:

7 Likes

Wow. You make your own hamburger buns.,:grin:

1 Like

Mais oui! Have you eaten a commercial bun that makes you happy?

1 Like

Just watched this with the circus cat on my lap. He was completely captivated! Guess we have our work cut out for us in exploring the other videos by this guy!

2 Likes

Everyone had to go either to doctor or dentist today for check-ups (we are all fine). So supper is Mexican flavored skillet. Brown ground beef with onion, garlic, cumin, and taco seasonings. Added a can of Rotel, simmered for 10 minutes to thicken up and served over cauliflower rice. Hubby and Small Girl Child approved, Yah!

2 Likes

sadly there aren’t enough of them…

I was late for the gym today because I just wanted to watch a video of Jun’s Kitchen (Naf posts it upthread). I ended up watching most of the vids! His knife skills and creativity put me to shame. I know nothing! Though, we both have a tiny kitchen.

Flammkuchen with Hokkaido squash, and Tirolean Speck. It’s absolutely not any type of pizza. Normally I make the dough myself but on week nights I cheat using a pizza dough. Typical ready-made dough found next to others such as croissant and puff pastry are common here. All you have to do is roll it out and pile things on it then bake. The sweetness of shaved squash and the mild saltiness of the ham go very well together. Crème fraîche is best but one can use something less rich, of course. I like crème fraîche so I always use it.

This is my Flammkuchen from scratch. Much better than ready-made pizza dough from the supermarket.

7 Likes

I just have those crappy commercial hamburger buns. It’s time to start making my own. What’s your recipe?

In my house about 25 years ago we could not eat Lamb chops, because my youngest daughter had a stuffed animal, that was given to her when she was about a month old …and she called her “lamby”…she once cried in a restaurant when she was ten years old when the special of the day was …you guessed it…“a rack of lamb chops”…
Our way around that was always…Mutton Chops…and we have never looked back…BTW…your chops look MARVELOUS!!!

3 Likes

I make them using the Bread Baker’s Apprentice white bread, variation 2. Love the buttermilk in the recipe. For me a 70 gram roll, and for him, 90 grams. I found this recipe, published with permission from Peter Reinhardt, on the great internets.

6 Likes

Thanks so much.