What's For Dinner #27 - 11/2017 - the Giving Thanks Edition

Ugh … sorry!

Ow ow ow ow ow ow owwwwwwwwwww!

2 Likes

Kielbasa here too, must be the weather … pierogis with sautéed onions, sauerkraut, excellent rye bread. Everything picked up the local Polish deli and prepared at home.

3 Likes

Ack! How horrid! Great solution to dinner!

Our Kielbasa wasn’t particularly special, but not bad for a commercial sausage. No polish butchers in our area at all. Clearly, I am deprived.

1 Like

Arrived home at 8:30 and saw what seemed to be a section of chain draping down two of the front steps. Realized I had no chain, stepped closer and discovered a snake. Went next door wanting a strong flashlight, moral support, a witness If I was bit and younger eyes. As my neighbor and I approached it was coiling itself under the supporting beam for the porch. Got inside and realised the dome light was on in my car. I really didn’t want to pass by the snake again so I clicked the key fob and my neighbor turned the light off. I have the best neighbors I’ve ever had. That fact made me change my mind about moving. Researched online and pretty sure it is a juvenile rat snake. They eat copperheads so yeah!

Adreniline is still running high so appetite is low. My other next door neighbor had an early Thankgiving the other evening which I was invited to. It was prompted by her 16 year old nephew wanting to learn how to make Grandma’s turkey gravy. 9 of us were well fed and sent home with leftovers. Nephew did good on the gravy! So once I calm down dinner will be turkey, mashed, stuffing, greenbean casserole, sweet potatoes and cranberry sauce. (no gravy left.) I love turkey dinner!

14 Likes

Oh my!

I do NOT DO SNAKES. AT ALL.

5 Likes

They freak me out. If it is not poisonous and I’m aware of it’s haunts I’m live and let live. But we have sooo many copperheads around here. This time of year the pavement is warm and the night air is cool so I try to be vigilant about looking when I get home after dusk. What is really weird is I just had a lengthly discussion about snakes with a customer a few hours before ariving home. Guess that had me a bit more aware!

nope don't do snakes either

3 Likes

I stopped at my neighborhood whole foods to get my lemons and ginger for kombucha bottling tomorrow and decided to get some bits and pieces from the prepared food deli for a semi homemade dinner.
I chopped up my salad greens and added the (purchased) thai peanut cabbage slaw with a lot of fresh cilantro, and had the (purchased) seitan chimichurri on the side after i warmed it up- it’s really fantastic, actually a candle cafe recipe and one of the very few ways i like seitan.
Hard cider on the side
dates with nut butter before sleeping fir dessert- i will literally wake up in the night because i’m hungry sometimes and it is The Worst since going back to sleep isn’t easy for me

3 Likes

Long week. Last Saturday I found myself cuddled in bed at noon. I’m up at 2am with insomnia so hoping for the same today. Last night’s dinner was freezer chili. Plopped in a pot to reheat, topped with cheddar and run under the broiler, dipped with pork rinds. For tonight I’m in the mood for more hearty fall food. I’m running errands this morning and plan to pick up lamb chops at Costco. I’ll risk stomach upset and serve with mashed cauliflower and umami gravy since I have a big batch simmering in prep for Thanksgiving. Dark chocolate bacon bark for dessert.

4 Likes

Take a pic of your truck when you’re out, love to see it!

1 Like

Japchae a la Maangchi (https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/japchae) kind of. I used naengmyeon noodles instead of dangmyeon noodles (sweet potato noodles) because that’s what I had. It came out ok.

11 Likes

They always rest and chill when you are around, but when you are not home… tsk tsk tsk…

You love them to bits anyway :joy_cat:

Cat mess01

4 Likes

Here’s my 19-year-old son’s first attempt at making a tomahawk ribeye. Alongside were Brussels sprouts roasted with balsamic and whole garlic cloves with asiago shreds added and a tomato-and-celery salad with vinaigrette as a palate cleanser. Sorry for the mediocre photos.

15 Likes

mediocre photos

Not at all, looks delicious!

3 Likes

Awful! Sorry to hear this!

1 Like

Crazy! The worst I’d find on my steps is ice!

Yes, I do. Damn them. :wink:

3 Likes