What's For Dinner #27 - 11/2017 - the Giving Thanks Edition

Took Mom shopping, then picked up lunch from Shaw’s prepared foods section to eat at her apt - NE Clam Chowder for her; fried chicken for me. (I always used to get it when I worked nearby; crispy-crunchy and very moist, just as I remembered it!)

A few errands on the way home, and while I wasn’t very hungry, at “real” dinnertime, I knew I would be. So sketti and sauce to the rescue. Crusty roll, and wine alongside.

No pictures of sketti 'cause you all know what it looks like. But Finn and Alfie had some stair time, so pics of the boyz is what you get to see.

Finnegan in a very rare state of calmness.

Alfie wanting his moment in the spotlight:

11 Likes

I spent over 35 years in Florida where you would expect to see snakes. (Ate rattlesnake my neighbor found and killed under the hood of his car. Lots of bones, but nice, mild flavor ) In 20ish years in NC & TN I’ve seen close to 100 snakes (90% were copperheads) and I’m not an even an outdoors person! 60 of these have been in older suburban areas. Finally bought snake boots to wear in the garden after the neighbor cat caught a 2.5’ copperhead under my azaela this spring. Hmm…wondering if copperheads taste like rattlesnakes? Don’t trust that I’m quick enough to do the deed and find out!

3 Likes

Mexican food at our local taqueria. I had a chicken tostada and he had a burrito. I have no idea which meat he chose. I must have spaced out about that moment. For my tostada, I chose the salsa verde, and he had the roja. These guys make hellacious salsas; just have to ask for them.

Grumpy waitress actually wasn’t so grumpy with us tonight. [And earlier, the grumpy fabric store folks were also cheery! Must be the full moon.]

I have four bone-in, skin-off chicken thighs marinating a tandoor marinade of spices and yogurt for tomorrow night’s dinner. I will make some rice and Dal Makhani. If the cauliflower looks good at the market tomorrow, will add a cauliflower dish as well. I will strive to remember photos after the chicken has had its charcoal grill time.

5 Likes

Recharging dear … recharging

3 Likes

@meatn3, ahhhhh. I hate snakes!!!

1 Like

I had some bone-in pork chops from Costco that needed to be used today, so I tossed them in a sous vide bath at 140 while I roasted sweet potatoes and Brussels sprouts and created a sauce to go with everything. I sauteed crumbled pork breakfast sausage with an onion and some garlic, then removed the meat and left the fat behind. Fried a couple of chopped apples in the fat with a sprig of rosemary, some thyme and sage. Returned the sausage to the skillet, added the juices from the pork and a hefty amount of cider vinegar, and simmered for a few minutes to bring it all together. I seared the pork quickly before serving.

Very nice meal, although the chops were a little disappointing - they were nicely cooked, but the loin was still dry (these were rib and center cut chops so some of them had bits of non-loin meat, which was VASTLY more delicious). What I wouldn’t give to find a well-marbled pork loin!

2 Likes

I have to say, pork at Costco isn’t all that great. I love the lamb. I love the wild caught fish. I love the beef. I don’t love the pork.

1 Like

I frequently buy ribs and pork tenderloins at Costco, but these are Swift brand and come in cryovac directly from the processor - they are reliably good. The chops I bought this time were cut in house and I was definitely not impressed. Perhaps I’ll buy a full loin from Restaurant Depot and cut my own next time.

I have a small black racer in my yard (the current generation of a long family line)

They keeps the critter population down and we long ago agreed to stay out of the others’ way.

3 Likes

delete

Wanted to use up the last potato so I sliced it thin and simmered it in whole milk with some salt, pepper, a garlic clove, and nutmeg. Then I layered the potatoes with fennel and Parmesan. I let the milk cook down with lots of fresh thyme and then spooned it over the potatoes. Baked for 45 mins and served with an arugula salad. That and some wine was dinner.

Dessert was fantastic. Some phyllo dough layers brushed with melted butter. The filling was a diced up pear, a persimmon, and smoked chocolate chips (all tossed with a bit of salt, cinnamon, ginger, flour, a vanilla bean, and bourbon).

14 Likes

Everything looks delicious. I didn’t know how to cook anything at 19. Nothing! I thought I could forever live on pizzas,chips, ketchup flavoured crisps, fried chicken, hamburgers etc! So, everything looks fine. Encourage your son to cook more and make things from scratch (not everything of course). Cooking is such a good hobby to have as it’s something one needs throughout life for both the body and soul!

Looking forward to seeing more of his food.

1 Like

Gratin is always a winner. I love gratin of all kinds.

I like these noodles. I think they take longer to cook, don’t they? I use them in savoury hotpots when I run out of mung bean noodles.

Come to Poland one day. I was in Krakow for only a few days and I liked it. The food is right up my alley (I have many alleys!). My eur.8 lunch without alcohol… what can I get for eur.8 at home? Not much.

Dumplings

Cabbage with mince and rice

Polish food without potatoes and/or soup? Unthinkable.

9 Likes

I like sweet potato noodles cooked with meat, chinese reconstituted mushroom, vegetable , usually something red, and green with lots of sesame oil.
This looks good, Am not familiar with this noodles
I suppose Japchae means in my native language chap chay meaning 10 or many vegetables.

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Costco 2017 2nd half

Yes I believe so, the recipe calls for ~8 minutes of cooking for the sweet potato noodles, whereas for the naengmyeon that I used, the package directions called for only 2-3 minutes.

1 Like

What a fantastic meal! Details on the smoked chocolate chips? Never seen such a thing…

I love maangchi! Her youtube channel is really great too, the korean grocery store videos are legit helpful

3 Likes