What's For Dinner #27 - 11/2017 - the Giving Thanks Edition

I like the way you show smaller photos for the cooking steps, which app do you use?

Fresh mint is better, by far. I dry mint in the Springtime so I have some all winter long. We have a very, very long winter.

I used to go there all the time when I lived in inside the 128 belt. Now that I’m up near 495/Nashua, I haven’t been in 6+ years. Always did enjoy their store and friendly staff.

I use Layout from Instagram:

1 Like

Thanks I will have a look!

Making collages in Google Photo is also very easy. Blows iPhoto out of the water.

1 Like

Sadly, that is a very low bar to overcome.

I went back today and they didn’t have it (or at least I didn’t see it). Costco is frustrating that way sometimes. I did score in a MAJOR way with these Teton Valley Ranch sausages I’ve been buying lately - they have several great flavors, including a jalapeno cheddar beef/pork bratwurst. Anyway, I heard a couple of weeks ago that they were not going to be carrying them anymore. Today I spotted them on the shelf and did a double take at the price - $2.97 for a 2 lb package. No, that’s not a typo! They were only a week away from expiration but they freeze really well, so I bought a case and stocked my freezer!

3 Likes

A lazy day spent watching whatever caught my fancy on Amazon Prime, and then watching the Patriots whomp the Raiders in Mexico City. WTG, Pats!

Dinner was Chicken Pahhhhhpreeeeekaaaash. Chicken thighs, pan-seared, then onions and mushrooms sauteed, chicken stock and brandy reduced with the softened onions and mushrooms, and then paprika, Aleppo pepper, and salt added before whisking in the sour cream. Poured over the chicken thighs, and baked for 30 minutes in the oven at 350°F.

Served on egg noodles, and steamed green beans with toasted almonds. Wine alongside, and Outlander on the screen.

10 Likes

An eclectic day of cooking today-

Made a chocolate cake this morning for a co worker then ran to work to do some paperwork while it cooled.

Dropped the cake off and then ran some errands. I returned home to made Zahav’s hummus recipe, then made the “Forks over knives” no tuna salad sandwich filling because I cooked a whole lot of chickpeas. The no tuna salad was really tasty.

I then decided to take a crack at corn tortillas- my husband made me a wonderful tortilla press for a gift this year, because I wanted to bring one back from Mexico last winter. EPIC fail! I will have to do further research.

Dinner was a roasted red pepper and garlic seasoned pork loin with peas and Mexican style white rice.

5 Likes

Went to a play this afternoon with a big group of friends, so went out for lunch (no cooking, and conch ceviche for the win).

Dinner was ancho beef tacos with lime radish pickles and roasted sweet potatoes. Another win from the Blue Apron box. 30 min from start to finish.

6 Likes

we’ve been viewing videos of a local blogger/chef’s site and saw a recipe for Bigos, a Polish “hunter’s stew” - chock full of meat, so i knew i had to make it for the BF. bacon, pork shoulder, chuck, and Polish sausages, along with sauerkraut, cabbage, onion, prunes, reconstituted dried wild mushrooms, red wine and spices. Turned out great! served with warmed buttered ciabatta slices and a green salad dressed with roasted tomato olive oil, sherry vinegar & oregano. very hearty dinner.

also made a bunch of meatballs (“kobe” ground beef, ground veal, and pork shoulder i ground in the FP) and tomato sauce for future dinners this week. i’ll be at my sister’s for the 4 days over thxgiving at dinner time, so i cooked up a bunch for the BF. we won’t be doing thxgiving dinner - probably take-out sichuan, crab, etc., eaten standing over the stove while 20-25 dogs look on… (my sister owns a dog-boarding biz and this is her busy time of year.) oh, what fun awaits…

6 Likes

That’s the manager special discount (ends in .97) to clear out the item so sounds like they are on their way out but nice score!

i was just thinking of adding a few drops of liquid smoke to the cooking water - going to try that next time i make rice.

1 Like

Exactly what I was thinking. No more using my old wok to smoke anything now.

1 Like

I didn’t even eat it in Montreal. I love my fried potatoes crispy and am not a fan of squeaky cheese. Such a pity to pour hot sauce on the crispy potatoes!

In Belgium it’s normal to add a big ladle of beef stew on top of your fried potatoes. I tried it one or twice but no more since.

1 Like

Another French chicken, 100% organic this one and costs about 50% more per kilo than Bresse chicken. I roasted it for yesterday’s dinner. Today the carcass with quite a bit of meat left on it became a substantial soup loaded with (root) vegs. Just the thing I needed on this wretched day of nothing but non-stop rain, strong wind and low temperatures.

The market poultry stall has 2 other types of French chicken but I only want Bresse. Got venison meat from him today and we talked about how delicious Bresse chicken is. I’m so lucky to have a good poultry and game trailer at the market. At least there’s one good in my little food hell!

1 Like

It’s been a rough few weeks/months for me but vacation is on the horizon!! I’m too exhausted to even be excited but I’m waiting for it to hit me Wednesday night when I leave the building not to return until December!

I’ve been eating pretty simple meals, cleaning out the fridge and freezer so tonight I made burgers to get rid of some ground beef - sauteed onions and pancetta for toppings.

I ate pretty early since I was home today and had an awesomely productive day of cleaning so had a dinner round 2 a little later. I’m not sure where I discovered this idea but I’m currently obsessed with pan seared eggs. I eat a lot of eggs and was getting tired of just simple boiled so one day plopped them in a pan and the crispy bits are delicious

4 Likes

Got to try that…any spices or herbs along side?
Perhaps a dab of a good coarse grain mustard would work?

They are great dipped in mustard (spicy Dijon is great!). Also good with mayo or aioli, I also have mashed with avocado - nice spin on a rough egg salad.

1 Like