What's For Dinner #27 - 11/2017 - the Giving Thanks Edition

Without knowing it would happen, today became all about me in the kitchen. First there were those bananas that none of my AirBNB guests had eaten. I don’t waste bananas, so first up, banana pecan bread. Two mini loaves to share with guests; one large loaf that Mr. SMT cuts into portions and slips into his magic freezer drawer. Then I pulled out the lamb that had been thawing. One package of “stew” meat and one gorgeous shoulder steak. This butcher’s idea of stew meat is whatever is leftover. No care is taken, so I trimmed silverskin and tried not to wince at the oddly shaped pieces. Then debone the shoulder steak, and cut into nicely shaped cubes. Placed the lamb bit and bones on a paper towel lined sheet pan, seasoned with kosher salt and into the fridge to “age.”

And then I decided I needed to test a dinner roll for Thanksgiving and so I pulled up a formula I have been meaning to try for years. During the first rise, I started the fagolets which had been soaking for the required 18 hours. Phew.

The fagolets simply aren’t cooking properly. Anyhow, that is another post. I totally forgot to take a picture of the simple lamb stew, but I did remember to do a beauty shot of the rolls.

Oh, and somewhere in there I browned the lamb, added aromatics, and braised the lamb.

Waterford Blaa

10 Likes

i thought i had posted my lamb vindaloo earlier, but maybe i didn’t?

anyway, did a super easy (cheater) recipe of spicy lamb vindaloo…

and served it with smoked rice, this brand:

LOVE this stuff, going to get more. i think i ordered it on Amazon.

6 Likes

Never thought about smoking rice. Wonder if I could do some in my smoker

1 Like

@Scubadoo97. I am thinking, why not? I am thinking that the rice would be placed on either a sheet tray or in a bowl with the smoke element underneath. Low temperatures to get the flavor but not toast the rice. The question then is, for how long and what type of wood would be the tastiest?

In the end wood is wood. The subtle differences is esoteric

We were both cold all day long. The temperatures outside are not cold enough to get the furnace to run enough to push to the upper floors, but the cold, damp air keeps the house feeling colder. For dinner, soup was the answer. I chose to make one of our favorites soups, Mercimek Çorbası. Dried mint from our garden and a squeeze of lemon is all the soup needs at the table.

5 Likes

Thanks! I meant more about the rice details since lamb isn’t my thing. I will definitely look for this on amazon, i certainly order from them often!

1 Like

@Ttrockwood. Here is a link to our soup. Totally vegetarian, and totally delicious. In case it might fit into your life:

http://www.pepperplate.com/sharedrecipe.aspx?id=1516f2ee-939c-4794-899b-e62d2fa3134c

4 Likes

oh no, i know, i just thought i had previously posted the vindaloo with a pic of the rice package. The rice is basmati, and slightly smoky, but otherwise just like regular rice, re cooking method/time, etc. it’s very good.

1 Like

Dinner tonight was our lentil soup again, but this time with Thanksgiving roll submission nº2. This is the roll that my daughter dreams of. Just a bit of butter, dairy, and potato. Strangely addicting when a bit of butter is added as eating. And for additional fun? They are pull apart.

I think the oven temperature needs to be 375º, not the stated 350º to get the amount of browning that I think would be inviting. I will prepare the dough through the beginning of the second rise before freezing. Then I can pull them out Thursday morning to bake. Net result? We have a winner!

7 Likes

A few hours at work this a.m. receiving the furniture from our closed Florida office. Other than a few hours on Monday working from home, I’m on vacation for the week.

Dinner decided as I was shopping for a few staples for my fridge.

Caramelized onion, spinach and bacon pizza with a garlic-herb sauce. Damn, this was GOOD! And yes, there was wine.

10 Likes

Oh dear. Now I want pizza!

2 Likes

I started Thanksgiving prep today - made baguettes to use in my stuffing (a loose, rustic style). Had to do some quality control, so DH and I both enjoyed a crusty end, fresh out of the oven with a chunk of cold butter inside. DIVINE.

Dinner was less carb-indulgent but tasty nonetheless. Costco had a new-to-me product last time I was there - lamb sirloins. The cryovac weighed 3.5 lbs and had 6 sirloins in it, all of which were approximately the same size. I tossed them in the oven until they reached 125 internal and then did a quick sear. Absolutely delicious! More tender than leg and bursting with lamb flavor. They were a couple of dollars more per pound than legs at Costco but well worth it, especially since they are a manageable size for a smaller crowd. Anyway, I served them with this summer’s pesto, parmesan roasted broccoli and pan-sauteed cherry tomatoes. The remaining 3.75 loaves of bread are still in the kitchen taunting me. I need to tear them up to start them drying out so they are less tempting!

6 Likes

I start the prep tomorrow. Up until now, I have just been testing new recipes for the dinner. Most of our menu doesn’t change; generation after generation after generation. I will get the veggie stock made, the cranberry-orange-ginger compote.

Monday, after chemo, I will get the roll dough ready for the freezer and head to the farm to get that turkey. We generally go [Wilson Farms for those that are local] in the evening after the soccer moms and dads have headed home to eat dinner.

4 Likes

Have a great week off!

3 Likes

Right? Me too

Thanks! That sounds really good! And I’ve certainly got a good few more months of Soup Season ahead

Good poutine is apparently hard to find where I live so I tried making some.

It was ok.

4 Likes

I’ll be on the lookout for that lamb. I didn’t see it yesterday but wasn’t looking too closely.

I have fresh mint outdoors, but not dried mint, will this make a big difference in taste?