What's For Dinner #27 - 11/2017 - the Giving Thanks Edition

Jun is indeed, amazing, but so are you, ESPECIALLY since you’re making all the beautiful food you do in a small kitchen!

5 Likes

Just getting over the flu. That was so wonderful. Back to normal today. Sauteed, then braised chicken thighs. With shallots, anchovy, white wine, fresh Sage, and mushrooms. Steamed red potato, with zucchini. Wine to drink,CHEERS.

4 Likes

Thanks PHREDDY

Tonight’s dinner is brought to you by Grace Young’s Stir Frying to the Sky’s Edge, a collection of stories and recipes from the Chinese diaspora. I chose Stir-Fried with Peppers, without any peppers at all. Instead, I substituted shredded cabbage. We liked this dish. Lots of flavors, no spice, and we enjoyed the fresher flavors brought into the dish from all the scallion. Served with Jasmine rice.

8 Likes

Kudos to you for your dedication!

Monday night i just made the new “high protein” veggie burger i picked up at trader joe’s over the weekend, i have a love/hate relationship with veggie burgers (back when i first became veg this was the.only.option.anywhere , restaurants would just keep a box of frozen patties on hand and have a veg burger as their one vegetarian option) anyways, it’s definitely not a flavorful patty as is but i did ketchup, dijon, lettuce, lots of tomato, pickle slices, and made a big mess trying to eat it as an open faced sandwich! Sides of more pickle slices and a little lettuce tomato radish salad.
Yesterday i had to deal with state jury duty, or rather proving to the state courthouse that i had served on a federal (murder!) trial just two years ago yet that became a complicated time sucking ordeal. The good news is the courts are close to chinatown and not far from my best friend’s apartment- so i invited myself over for dinner and arrived with a bunch of made to order dim sum! I made us a quick sesame oil/soy sauce/scallion dipping sauce and sautéed a bunch of water spinach with a little sesame oil too. Great ending to a crummy day :smile:

Asian pupu platter tonight, a batch of kombu celery, cucumber slices to dip in mild white miso, edamame with smoked salt, pickled daikon, seaweed rice crackers, and quick miso soup with lots of scallions and some big cubes of soft tofu. Kinda random and yet exactly what i wanted.

7 Likes

@Ttrockwood. Have you ever tried making your own burgers? I see the recipes and they always seem quite complex, but I always assume that they would be better than the frozen versions I see in the markets.

BF made dinner last night - rib eye with chimichurri, more of that smoked rice that i am obsessed with now, a little carrot/cabbage for color, and a beet salad with his feta cheese dressing.

going to see Deb Perelman of Smitten Kitchen speak tonight!

12 Likes

Thank you, Maria!

Sometimes I cook up a storm and just put things down anywhere I can find during food prep, the partner walks into the kitchen and says “omg, what’s going on here? Looks like a war zone in here”. I should get a better kitchen to replace my 19 years old one but when it comes to that decision I already have my holidays sorted out so new kitchen has to wait again.

Btw, I remember eating something with an omelet completely covers the food like some of your dishes. Also, I don’t know how they cook aubergines in Asia but the purple skin always remains bright.

5 Likes

We are not big meat eater, this is the rest of the Bresse chicken with cream and mushrooms from earlier this week. Previously I ate it with boiled potatoes, today I made French lentils. Love lentils with cream, such a good combo. Lots of kale alongside. Note that kale is a dead normal veg and has been eaten in Europe over 2 thousand years. It is eaten in enormous quantities in colder months. Nothing hipsterish about kale here.

Have to make room in the freezer for more Bresse birds. The poultry-game stall at the market has other French fowl to buy.

6 Likes

you have the proper priorities.

that omelet looks dreamy!

1 Like

On your photo, it doesn’t show at all.
That’s the constant remark from DH, he is the one to deal with the post-war zones. But I am messy on the photos.

@mariacarmen @meatn3 @Presunto
Glad you like the videos. Not only Jun is very organised, he cleans up instantly. And yeah, his cutting skill…
I am also very impressed with the video that he cleaned up a $3 rusty knife! And of course the cats’ meal!

2 Likes

It’s not the same aubergines, it’s not dark violet like in Europe, but a lighter bluish purple hue, and also it is a bit spicy.

Several WFD

Spicy squid with chili flakes and potatoes! Yum!

Sunday WFD - A quick meal with tuna, zucchini, lemon juice, lemon zeste, garlic and Rummo Linguine N°13 - ok for a lazy night and an empty fridge.
IMG_2511

Monday night - Had a Japanese style noodle, soup made with Kombu and Dashi no moto, with leek and mushroom, I didn’t have any Japanese noodle, I use the Vietnamese Pho. Fish was whiting filet with soy sauce.

Tuesday dinner, loosely based on Jamie Oliver’s apple risotto with goat and blue cheese (Saint Agur), also with Parmesan. Didn’t have walnut, so I used pine nuts. Made it first time, not bad.

Yesterday dinner was braised pork belly with 5 spices, Shao Hsing wine, dark soy sauce, light sauce sauce and garlic. Chopped 2 small aubergine and cooked with the meat.

Tonight was leftover + cheese + cakes!
DH bought some pastries from Des Gâteaux et du Pain (Paris 15e). My favourite was the Mont Blanc (chest nut and black currant), the pastry shown here is Kashmir (orange, date, safran)

Cheers everybody!

10 Likes

Oh yes, i have made a lot of veggie burgers and meatless balls over the years! The ones i make tend to be veggie based (beets, mushrooms, etc) and i definitely prefer them to store bought, but these TJs ones were appealing since they’re definitely much higher in protein. They won’t become a staple for me but there are days my other meals are shy on protein and i try to balance it all out.
There’s a great “1/4 lb beet burger” on the post punk kitchen website, but more recently i’ve been making my own with lentils, mushrooms and walnuts that are thinner. (Secret ingredient is soy sauce!)

2 Likes

I spy morels in that kale… :heart_eyes:

Tonight was a meal from my first Blue Apron box. The veggies were delicious…I ATE BEETS, PEOPLE.

9 Likes

Did you elaborate on the smoked rice somewhere and i missed it…?? That sounds fantastic!

2 Likes

Those “candy cane” beets are delicious! Less earthy than red ones i think. You would probably also like the golden yellow beets, they are also more mild.

1 Like

It’s gotten colder and colder all day here- this morning was mild but i just need something hot and soupy to slurp and warm me up since my apartment never actually gets warm (long story).
I threw together a quick green curry paste, coconut milk, veg broth, lemongrass paste, garlic, lots of tofu, zucchini, mushrooms, shredded cabbage, and shredded carrots soup. Like a fake thai thing. Topped my big bowl with fresh cilantro and scallions, wish i had some fresh bean sprouts too. Could have used more lemongrass but i haven’t used the paste kind before so i was shy with it. Easily enough leftover for lunch tomorrow and a portion for the freezer since i am incapable of making a small pot of soup.

4 Likes