What's for Dinner #26 - 10/2017 - The Tastes of Fall Edition

I’ve cut out most dairy from my diet as dairy and I haven’t been friends for a while, but it’s gotten progressively worse the last 4-5 months. The only dairy I really have is a bit of hard cheese once in a while or a bit of yogurt/raita with my indian food. Otherwise, I’ve switched to non-dairy versions.

For my coffee and tea, I use either the Trader Joes Soy Creamer, or lately I’ve been using Califia Farms Better Than original coconut cream/almond milk creamer. The TJs creamers is creamier, but I like the flavor of the Califia Farms one a little more.

https://www.traderjoes.com/TJ_CMS_Content/Images/fearless-flyer/uploads/article-491/86720-soy-milk-creamer.jpg

1 Like

Califa farms creamer is the best right now. Also fairly widely available.
You’re going to need a lot of nutritional yeast-totally not the same as parm but serves the same end use and as a bonus it’s a nutritional powerhouse too. Look for it in bulk bins at whole foods or similar markets, trader joe’s also sells it for a good price.
And you will need raw cashews to make cashew cream.

I had some reflux issues for a while and eventually realized that drinking something hot too soon before sleeping was a problem (weird), and that acidic foods on an empty stomach were bad news (pickle appetizers!) but with or after something neutral was fine.
There’s a lot of whole 30 approved foods that could aggravate the reflux actually… it’s a lot of trial and error to see what works best for you. And not fun.

Gallo pinto (rice, black beans, onions, red bell pepper, cilantro, garlic, salsa Lizano), an avocado, a fried egg, and some fried plantain with sour cream.

11 Likes

Those plates always make me smile! Nice dinner too, of course.

1 Like

The gym saga continues…spent the day trying to move mats from garage to basement with 20% success. I guess I’ll need to hire a moving company for 20 minutes to come move them. It was otherwise a nice “clean the house” day as I was on autopsy service so could monitor any potential cases from home. I think fall has arrived but was in the mood for a salad and threw together a burger salad - ground beef tossed with romaine, tomatoes, pickles, bacon and a random choice of TJs pesto gouda to get rid of it because it’s not my favorite. BBQ mayo/yogurt dressing on the side.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’ve had reflux a long time and it was well controlled with a PPI drug, but I weaned myself off recently (accidentally - forgot to take a supply of meds on vacation so I had to cut back to every other day, etc.) and I feel like I can probably do without it if I am willing to make some dietary changes. My doctor definitely prefers that I manage it with diet/less powerful drugs anyway, so hopefully I’ll be able to figure out some culprits. I have been noticing over the past couple of months that it seems to flare mostly after meals that are heavy on dairy (especially higher-lactose dairy) so Whole 30 seemed like the perfect plan to try. We shall see!

Good luck! My daughter is plagued with acid-reflux and it just plain sucks for her. It seems to come and go in cycles, and is definitely worse when she is under more than usual stress.

1 Like

Another meatless day. Food wins no prize for looks but it tastes good.

It’s the first time I roasted a whole cauliflower (brushed with olive oil and sesame oil). Normally I separate the florets and briefly steam them, then toss in seasoned oil before roasting. This way there’s more surface to achieve a crusty exterior.

8 Likes

um, did miss your birthday, Linda??? i SUCK!!

Happy Belated!!! xoxo

2 Likes

Gotcha, that does sound like a good plan! In your non-dairy quest note that Ripple milk is awesome, made from pea protein and tasty- dunno if it’s whole 30 but for non dairy options you may need to be open minded too.
Look for nut based chee$es, those that are almond/soy based are generally not worth the expense in my experience. (Dr cow makes amazing nut based cheeses )
Best of luck…!!

Warm weather returns since last week. Luckily I didn’t clean the garden yet, I still got some tomatoes every other days. Not normal for mid October to have such temperature, but can’t complain!

Tonight chicken tajine with lemon confit and green olives , very good, I also made a yogurt mint sauce.

Dessert rice pudding with vanilla and a salty caramel. Good, but too rich with cream and milk, guts doesn’t it and pain.

8 Likes

You were busy Spaining, Ms @mariacarmen. Much more important. So you don’t suck. Except you were making me jealous of all of your experiences. So maybe you suck a little bit. :wink:

Thanks for the b’day wishes.

2 Likes

Kitehill is amazing!

1 Like

ohhhh, hey, wait now… i did wish you a happy bday on FB! I don’t suck QUITE as much as i thought i did. (:slight_smile:

2 Likes

that is one gorgeous chicken.

Gorgeous as always…!
I have used a version of this recipe from bon app a few times for whole roasted cauliflower a few times (makes a great table presentation)- only it certainly has never taken so long to simmer, closer to 10-15min. I am anti-goat cheese so i like to do a romesco or chimichurri on top right before serving. What i also love is that i have a flavorful veggie broth at the end too (leftover poaching liquid) which i then use for soup

We did have a good meal. The sauce with red onion and olives. The cooking filled the house with a lovely smell, even now! I was a bit stingy with saffron, should have put more, it should have a nice yellow colour sauce.

2 Likes

Sounds lovely with cheese or with romesco, I would like to try it, especially whole roasted, less work, good for lazy days.

Yesterday was SO cold here!! I was freezing at work too since they (of course) still have the AC on. I worked a bit late and just wanted something that would be quick and warm me up.
Savory oatmeal! I used regular rolled oats and stirred in some white miso as it was cooking , a big handful of spinach towards the end, and a bit of extra water so it was still a little brothy when finished. Topped the bowl with scallions, hemp seeds, furikake, and a dibble of toasted sesame oil. Was really tasty and exactly what i wanted.

Lunch today was an epic fail (catered lunch meeting and the only vegetarian options were plate of green salad , literally just leaves, and cheese ravioli which i can’t have) with a nonstop afternoon so i was just hangry by the time i got home.
Reheated a meatless loaf muffin while making a quick sautée of kholrabi slaw mix with coconut oil and shoving pretzel sticks in my face. Kombucha on the side. I will probably need a snack before bed, more medjool dates and nut butter are likely.

3 Likes

Roasted dinner tonight. It’s so nice to be able to turn on the oven! I just threw halved Brussels sprouts, sliced fennel and sliced onions onto a sheet pan with a little oil, salt and pepper, then put bone in skin on chicken thighs right on top and put it in the oven for 45-50 mins. The vegetables absorbed all the juices and fat from the chicken - totally delicious. Nice crispy skin on the thighs too.

6 Likes