What's for Dinner #26 - 10/2017 - The Tastes of Fall Edition

Happy Birthday and congrats for beating the odds!

1 Like

@smtucker
Happy birthday and for every challenges you have met! Accomplishment!

@LindaWhit
Happy birthday and all the best. Liked the tenderloin and the twist of lemon juice.

1 Like

Ramdom dinners everywhere, we have been travelling back and fourth due to DH’s family member passing away. Between emptying the fridge, cooking from cupboard, and frozen food and eating outside.

DH bought home some discounted foie gras, great to eat with figs and honey, Balsamic vinegar sauce.

A stop over meal in Bordeaux, in an Italian restaurant, Osteria Pizzeria da Bartolo, house made gnocchi with specks and a splendid Gorgonzola sauce.

Pizza with beef carpaccio. The pizza was good especially the dough, maybe slightly under seasoning.
IMG_2257

Japanese cucumber salad with soy sauce, rice vinegar, sugar and seasame oil.

Roast pork with rosemary, white wine, mustard and cream.

Roast pork sliced with tomatoes.

Asperages quiche made by DH’s mom

Cheese, this Salers was really good.

Apple dessert with a quince and cheese cream
IMG_2246

Coffee tart, both by Pierre Hermé

Last night meal, with Mackerel, mustard again, parsley, cream, wine

15 Likes

Naf, you had me at foie gras and figs. But everything looks wonderfully delicious

1 Like

I like a bit of everything but at the end of the day I am still a cheese girl.

Everything looks good from here!

1 Like

Wow, we had unprecedented mild autumn weather this weekend. So gorgeous and warm.

Didn’t really have much time the other day but today I got to do some decent cooking for the first time since I came home. Tested out the new dumpling sieve on thursday. The holes are bigger so I had to readjust the batter a bit. The dumplings still tasted fine.

Dried black trumpet mushrooms I got in France a few years back. Italian hard cheese from Tirol.

Two different kinds of mushroom and their soaking liquid were used to make the stock for the rice. Another type of Italian hard cheese from Tirol. I kept grating a couple of times as the cheese sank fast on the warm rice.

Today: thin part of the salmon I trimmed off a big piece.

Brushed with gochujang (some sesame oil and water added), let sit in the fridge for 10 minutes then seared.

Silken tofu with soya sauce, sesame sauce and tuna shavings (brought back from Osaka). This dish is very common in Japan and their tofu is exquisite.

So this was my dinner. After 3 weeks of meat and beer (several times more than my capacity) I just want to lay off the meat and alcohol for a week.

The partner’s dinner:

SV duck breast, big enough for us both. Cabbage was stir-fried in the same pan when the duck was resting. Cherry compote I made before the holiday. And my garden chives are still alive and well.

10 Likes

Happy Birthday!..“week”…so I am not too late coming to the party (lol)

1 Like

The mushroom soaking liquid gives this lovely golden colour? No spice used? Wow!

I love the tofu too with soy sauce. Spring onion and shallot is essential too.

Those are some good looking meals! What is on the tomatoes in the photo next to the pork? Are those black sesame seeds…?

1 Like

Those dumplings and mushrooms sound like my ideal dinner…!
I love that chilled tofu dish, i make it myself (without bonito) any time i find a good fresh tofu. And any time i go to a restaurant where they have a housemade tofu i have to order it. I usually add furikake instead of the bonito

No, actually they were dark green, they were spirulina or plankton powder, blue-green algae. Very tasty together with the tomatoes with a cider-saffron vinegar.

1 Like

I was really out of sorts yesterday, just very exhausted and didn’t do anything ambitious- hoping i am not trying to get sick, probably just a busy stressful week catching up to me. I decided to be self indulgent and ordered in the by chloe vegan ceasar salad i love so much. Made myself a big glass of super green juice to have with it.

More ambitious today and have done a bit of cooking for the coming week, i made a batch of serious hippie vegan meatless loaf with walnuts and tempeh (and a proper ketchup based sauce on top) that is baking right now. I use a muffin tin which makes it easy to freeze extras. I’ll probably just do some cucumber and bell pepper slices as a side veg. I also picked up some gorgeous medjool dates so I’ll probably have a few with a bit of almond butter and my tea as dessert.

3 Likes

Sometimes you just need a quiet “down day”. Hope you’re doing better tomorrow!

1 Like

I had been invited to the “restaurant family celebration of life” for Mario León-Iriarte @ Dali tonight - but I managed to tweak my lower back this morning. So not a whole lot of moving got done by me, and driving 40 minutes there and back wasn’t gonna happen.

I managed to make Triple Apple Applesauce with some of the heirloom apples I had picked, a load of laundry, and watching the Pats beat the Jets (barely).

Dinner was simple - Udon noodles with sauteed chicken, carrots, celery, red bell peppers, and onions and a mildly spicy peanut sauce.

A ThermaCare patch, Advil and wine as well. No Outlander this Sunday.

4 Likes

Sorry to hear about your back!

3 Likes

Dinner tonight was a restaurant one. My mother and sister, plus daughter, son and grand-scallion ate at a local Turkish restaurant [Pasha for those that are local to Boston.] We choose this restaurant since it reduces my sister’s drive and has a very vegetarian/vegan friendly menu.

As always, the cold appetizer plate was a hit. This is a favorite of mine, especially the beet tartare, which isn’t a tartare at all, but is delicious. My kofta were overcooked and over mixed. The lamb stew with roasted tomatoes was deemed delicious. The spinach stew looked fine, if boring. The donner kabob was perfectly cooked. The grand-scallion didn’t make it through the whole meal. She and her Dad walked home mid entree.

We finished with some Turkish tea and a bit of baklava.

5 Likes

Made pizza dough yesterday so pizza night. First was a basic margarita. Second was topped with evoo (with rosemary, garlic, red pepper flakes), fresh buffalo mozzarella, slices of pork meatballs, and zucchini blossoms. This was the winner! And, wine.

8 Likes

I’ve been having some issues with acid reflux lately so I’ve decided to try the Whole 30 plan for the next month to see if eliminating some things helps. I’ve been low-carb forever so eliminating grains and sugar isn’t a problem, but no dairy, no soy and no alcohol are definitely going to be a challenge. I eat a LOT of cheese. I will be taking note of what you no-dairy folks are doing this month! First question - what do you use in place of dairy in your coffee? I used coconut milk this morning and it was okay, but I don’t know that I’m going to want it daily. Almond milk?

Tonight I’m planning a grilled flap steak, roasted tomatoes with garlic and oregano, and spaghetti squash with tapenade. Normally I drown spaghetti squash in butter and parmesan cheese, but I’m hoping the tapenade will be an adequate umami replacement.

2 Likes

I often gravitate to whole30 when I need a dairy break, aside from no cheese (:/) you’ll probably adjust fine. You might try nutpods, really popular non dairy creamer. It also comes in various flavors, all whole30 approved. Fingers crossed you get some relief!

1 Like

For me, the tomatoes would be most problematic of all the items you mentioned in your forbidden list and your dinner list.

3 Likes